Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

7.4 million VCR's sold over the holidays and only 3.5 million DVD players.

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

7.4 million VCR's sold over the holidays and only 3.5 million DVD players.

Old 01-20-01, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is an excerpt from an article over at Daily Radar .

The most popular consumer electronic device over the holiday season, though, was the VCR, with respondents reporting receiving over 7.4 million. Next were wireless phones at 3.9 million, and DVD players at 3.5 million.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 01-20-01, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
:-(

This is sukekekeke.

------------------
Wayne Campbell: I once thought I had mono for an entire year, It turned out I was just really bored.
-- Waynes World
That's Unemployed_Andrew in #dvdtalk and #other to you!
AIM: CKMorpheus
Old 01-20-01, 09:30 PM

Those poor recipients of VCRs. A bet those who recieved the DVD players had much larger smiles on their faces.

------------------
Old 01-20-01, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i agree, if i happened to get one as a gift it would go right back to the store. what would I do with a vcr?
Old 01-21-01, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

my grandma and grandpa were all excited that they bought a $35 dollar vcr the day after thanksgiving. I think if you look at the dollar amount spent on vcrs and tapes, compared to the dollar amount spent on dvd players and dvds, the tale would be a little different.

The VCR has not outlived its usefulness just yet, and as long as vcrs are $45 and TIVO hovers at $299-$399 +subscription fees and other crap, I don't see that changing.

r
Old 01-21-01, 01:34 AM

Well I just practically phased out my VCR totally. I hopped on the Mercata blow out of 60hr ReplayTV units, they gave me free shipping cause they shipped it a bit late and with the e.b.a.t.e.s.com rebate, total was only $375. VCR is already gathering dust.

I love the Replay. I was watching the inauguration on NBC today and the Replay really came in handy. There was a really quick glimpse of a nude scene with some lady who was protesting fur and was topless with only a sign on her chest. She was moving the sign around a bit and flashed the camera for about 1/2 a second. Hit the replay button and got to see nudity on national TV over and over. Can't beat that.

------------------
Old 01-21-01, 12:15 PM

VCR? What's that?
Old 01-21-01, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by ashegam:
VCR? What's that?
<HR>

Virtual Crap Recorder
Old 01-21-01, 01:16 PM

Let's not forget guys, although we rarely or never use VCRs, about 80% of America still uses VCR as their primary media device. I think DVD's at above 50% is awesome!

We can all brag later to everyone else that has a new DVD player that "yeah, I've had mine for years!!"

Jeff

------------------
My Site
Old 01-21-01, 02:19 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VCR is still the dominant Joe Six Pack video machine, and will probably remain that way until they price drops to under $200 for a recordable dvd player, which isn't happening anytime in the near future.

------------------
Josh Hinkle
My DVD's
My CD's
Old 01-21-01, 05:22 PM

VCR = video cassette RECORDER
DVD player = digital video disk PLAYER

If you want to record video, the ole VCR is about the only affordable way now and w/ VCRs under $100 and $3 tapes, people will buy them for that purpose.

Old 01-21-01, 05:29 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by BLDN10:
VCR = video cassette RECORDER
DVD player = digital video disk PLAYER

<HR>

Nope, DVD = Digital Versatile Disc

Old 01-21-01, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm glad. The last thing I need is more old people bitching about those damn black bars.

------------------
Sex is like air. It's not important unless you aren't getting any.
Old 01-21-01, 10:58 PM

This is actually a good thing. The longer it takes the average person to buy a DVD player the longer DVD's will remain a viable medium. This means we won't be replacing our DVD's with the next best thing for at least another 10 years. Probably more.

-Gonnosuke
Old 01-22-01, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

But the article doesn't say how many VCRs were returned the day after Christmas and exchanged for DVD players.
Old 01-22-01, 01:47 PM
Banned

When are all of you people going to realize that VCRs and DVD players are NOT direct competitors? DVD players can't record TV shows in case you haven't noticed. I find it hilarious that everyone here seems to think of VCRs as a threat to the DVD industry. Eventually, the home video and rental industry will move over to DVD, and VHS will return to the purpose for which it was invented,....RECORDING!
Old 01-22-01, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually, both definitions for DVD are correct.
Old 01-23-01, 05:11 AM

Actually, DVD officially doesn't stand for anything. It's just DVD. I believe this is according to the official DVD spec...

Brian
Old 01-23-01, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well..what did you expect?

In the Press-Enterprise, the San Diego paper, there was an article basically stating that more and more people are getting hip to DVD, but VHS wasn't gonna just keel over and die just yet.

That number is amazing..think back a few years ago, to the TOTAL DVD sales, and look at the HOLIDAY numbers.

I have watched all types of people buying DVD players..minorities, older folks...

DVD is doing fantastic! Did Target ever carry 10 laserdisc players to choose from? Did Wal-Mart stock every major new LD release?

The DVD section of Wal-Mart is actually getting BETTER than the VHS selection.

The reality is, people are still hung up on recording. And peole still see that Hollywood, Blockbuster, etc..while RENTING DVDs..still are over 80% VHS!

If you want to see ALL of your faves(E.T., Star Wars, The Godfather..U.H.F.....), you have to watch them on VHS.

I have spoken to numerous people as I travel, and most always answer that they are waiting for a specific title..like they need some excuse.

Star Wars and The Godfather are the big ones.

When DVD RECORDERS come out..sales will be okay..but when they can make a DVD Recorder for under $200..VHS will finally have a funeral.

Mark it!
Old 01-24-01, 12:47 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DVD-Desi:

I love the Replay. I was watching the inauguration on NBC today and the Replay really came in handy. There was a really quick glimpse of a nude scene with some lady who was protesting fur and was topless with only a sign on her chest. She was moving the sign around a bit and flashed the camera for about 1/2 a second. Hit the replay button and got to see nudity on national TV over and over. Can't beat that.

<HR>

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 01-24-01, 04:02 PM

Prices always drop when the next better format becomes available. That's why we're seeing such cheap prices for VCR's. They'll soon be collector's items, just like beta and divx (some of you might be old enough to remember beta ).

I recently picked up a TiVo for less than $150, and it's lots more fun to use than the VCR. Wait, and you'll see digital recorder prices start to drop, and then VCR's can be used for museums and boat anchors.

Scott
Old 01-24-01, 04:36 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Scott:

I recently picked up a TiVo for less than $150, and it's lots more fun to use than the VCR. Wait, and you'll see digital recorder prices start to drop, and then VCR's can be used for museums and boat anchors.

Scott
<HR>

I have a tivo and love it, but it can't fully replace a vhs. The problem is you run out of space so there is no way to record something permenantly since it doesn't have removable storage. A dvd recorder for under $200 will be the end of vhs as I said before.

------------------
Josh Hinkle
My DVD's
My CD's