Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Losing DVD Signal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-01, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whenever I am watching a DVD and the screen goes black, my dvd loses signal or something. It goes goes back to my "Video" channel (i.e. VIDEO is visible in bright green letters) and then returns to the DVD. This is very distracting when watching a movie. I am pretty sure it is a problem with my dvd player, since my DVD Player's video goes straight to the TV. I have never had this problem before today, and I don't remember changing anything. Anyone have an idea as to what is wrong?

I have a Toshiba SD-2109 DVD Player

[This message has been edited by MrBEAViS (edited January 11, 2001).]
Old 01-11-01, 06:59 PM

I have the SAME exact problem with my player! It is an Apex 600A, I doubt it is caused by the TV because I have had my playstation connected to my S-video and never saw this problem. If I don't use S-video in I don't have a problem. If you just got the player definitly return it because this problem is annoying as hell on some movies. Are you using S-video input or composite or compoent? What brand TV do you have? I have a Sony Trinitron (Model No. KV-27V42). Let me know if you have the same tv. Let's compare notes!
Old 01-11-01, 08:06 PM

I have Sony TV, my dvd player is rather old. I had RCA cables until 2 or 3 months ago, got S-Video, but it just started today.

[This message has been edited by MrBEAViS (edited January 11, 2001).]
Old 01-11-01, 11:14 PM

Could be a bad cable. Did you try a different one?

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 01-12-01, 12:10 AM

They're to expensive for me to have extras.

I tried taking the cords out and putting them back in, and it is no longer happening.
Old 01-12-01, 12:11 PM

I tried new cables on mine and it didn't help at all.
Old 01-12-01, 06:32 PM

It is definately the S-Video cables. I had composite RCA cables running directly from my DVD to my Tv and everything worked fine. I then plugged an S-Video cable from my DVD to my TV and got the exact same problem.

So I finally broke down and bought a dolby digital receiver (Sony DE845) with a bunch of S-Video connections and the problem went away.

I think the problem is that the tv is trying decode the signal and maybe your tv doesn't have a memory buffer like receivers have, so it has to refind the signal after changing scenes (when the screen goes black between scenes) This is just a wild guess, but a plausible one. But like I said, the receiver fixed the problem.
Old 01-12-01, 08:48 PM

I tried changing cables and all that, composite video works fine but if I use s-video the signal dies when the screen gets dark. I have used 3 different cables now, somtimes directly to the TV and sometimes with the receiver between them. Since I still believe it is caused by the DVD player I'm thinking of opening it and checking for a loose connection or something.
Old 01-12-01, 10:44 PM

I just finished retesting everything using my 3 different s-video cables and the problem remains. I have an extended service warranty on the TV from Circuit City, I'm going to call them and have them send a tech out. But I still believe the problem is caused by the DVD player because I have connected my playstation to the S-Video input and did not have a problem. Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 01-12-01, 11:44 PM

I don't have any answers, but I can provide another data point: I have a Pioneer 525, S-video hooked up to a Sony KV-27V42. On _some_ discs, when the picture is all black, the TV acts as if there is no signal (displaying "DVD" and other junk in green). The problem seemed to get worse if the "picture quality" setting is "cinema". My *guess* is that the TV and DVD player don't agree on what kind of signal constitutes "all black"???

------------------
/dev/null
Old 01-13-01, 05:55 AM

IT came back. My receiver has no S-Video inputs, so I guess it is RCA cables for me, not that I could really tell the difference.
Old 01-13-01, 10:33 AM

Since you have the same television and I have never heard of this happening on a non-sony TV, I am going to have to assume it is a problem with the television. Luckily I still have an extended service warranty on it so hopefully I can get fixed by Circuit City.
MrBEAVIS: What model number television do you have?
Old 01-13-01, 06:17 PM

dev-null: Did you ever get the problem fixed? I have an appt scheduled for a tech from the store to come out next week. I'll let the forum know the results.
Old 01-13-01, 08:38 PM

KV-27S42
Old 01-15-01, 05:05 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by spasmolytic:
dev-null: Did you ever get the problem fixed? I have an appt scheduled for a tech from the store to come out next week. I'll let the forum know the results.
<HR>

I *thought* the problem was "fixed" by setting the picture quality to "standard" on the player... Then, just last week, I popped in "For All Mankind (Criterion)" and there were a few drop-outs... on the other hand, "Kwaidan (Criterion)" which also has a quite a few all-black transitions, does NOT give any drop-outs; it's some subtle player-tv-disk interaction. [I don't have time to test multiple cables, etc, etc, ad nauseum... Since the overwhelming majority of my disks play without ploblems, I'm not going to worry too much about it; at some point in the not too distant future, everything will be upgraded anyway ]

Please post the results (or lack thereof) after the tech comes out.

------------------
/dev/null
Old 01-18-01, 06:59 PM

Today the "technician" from Circuit $hitty came and tried to fix my S-video problem. My mother had the day off so she waited for him to arrive between 12 and 1 PM. He refused to come anytime other time so I was at work on the phone with him while he was trying to fix it.
Upon seeing the problem he immediately blamed it on the DVD player but had no way of proving it was my dvd player. He asked if *I* had another DVD player laying around or another TV with S-video input which I don't.
After demonstrating the problem he looked at the connections and connected an RCA cable between the DVD player's component video output and my Television's composite video in??? I told him about 50 times the the television has NO component inputs but he disagreed and did it anyway. He kept the S-video cable connected the whole time and somehow you can get a crappy signal to the TV using the one screwed up component connection. He did that said the problem was gone and tried to leave.

I spent 70 dollars on a 3 year warranty with this place and this is the kind of service I got. What recourse do I have now? Should I demand they send a Sony technician out to repair it?
Old 01-19-01, 06:37 PM

Have any of you tried using a different DVD player with any success?