Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Center to match my Paradigm reference 20s

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Center to match my Paradigm reference 20s

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-01, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm using paradigm Reference 20s for my fronts (and atoms for my rears) and want some thoughts on matching center. Do I need to
go with the reference cc or will the paradigm cc 170 or cc 370 work.

thoughts?
Old 01-16-01, 10:32 PM

You should definately get a matching centre, either Studio/CC (Version 2) or CC-450 (Version 1). This will allow you to have a timbre-matched front end (mains and centre). This is very important since most of the movie's dialog is through the centre speaker. For HT, there are many who say that the most important speaker is the centre channel. I am sure that you want a Ferrari to sound like a Ferrari as it goes from left to centre and to the right. With a non-matching centre, it may sound like a Ferrari in the left, a Porsche in the centre, and then back to a Ferrari on the right. This is extreme, but I think that I have made my point...hopefully.

For an optimal speaker system, you should also have surrounds that match the front end. For those on a strict budget, you may use the Paradigm Monitor or maybe the Performance series as "cheap" rears. IMO, it really depends on your budget and how picky you are.

BTW, I too have Paradigm Reference speakers (Studio/60 mains, Studio/20 rears, CC-450 centre) and I really love 'em. Excellent bang for the buck.

Dave
Old 01-17-01, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When I had concerns about matching a center to my Energy mains, I emailed Energy and they very very quick at getting back to me with the models that would match. Try emailing Paradigm and hopefully you can get an answer from them.
Old 01-17-01, 10:07 AM

Emailing paradigm is a good thought, although I think their Advice will mimic DavidY.

DavidY, some have also suggested that my situation is perfect for getting a third, sheilded 20 for my center. Any thoughts? Also, do you know if the 20s are shielded--thought they were, but some suggested a special order.

Budget, in HT as in all things, is of course a concern, but also, my room is a relatively small 10x20, so pumping to 40s front 20s rear, seemed a bit like overkill.

btw, what sub are you using? (my next piece)

Old 01-17-01, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Check out the website: www.paradigm.ca they used to have a chart of what matched up for home theater purposes. Consider yourself lucky though. Not every has the luxury of being able to easily find a matching center channel. Try finding something that timber matched to a pair of VonSchweikert VR's and I'll owe you a cookie...

Albert suggested I wait for the new line to release thier new center channel design. As if I had $2000+ to spend on a speaker...
Old 01-17-01, 11:26 PM

Get the matching reference CC. About 80% of
the sound comes from the center.

Don't cheat your HT by skimping on the piece
that delivers the majority of the sound...

Old 01-18-01, 02:01 AM

I don't think that Studio/20 are shielded. If you really need a shielded Studio/20, you should check with your dealer...may need a special order from the manufacturer. However, you may have to order in pairs. My Studio/20 V.1 were packaged in one box. Not sure about the V.2.

Currently, I have a pair of Mission 10 inch subs. I think that I need more slam ....looking at the placement issues, system settings, and/or room acoustic problems. In the next couple of years, I am hoping to upgrade to SVS subs. What kind of budget are you hoping to have for the sub?

BTW, my living room is about the same size, 20'x10'x8'. My HT is in the middle third, with a dining room table at one end and a computer station at the other. Not overkill IMO.

Dave

[This message has been edited by DavidY (edited January 17, 2001).]
Old 01-18-01, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The reccomended matching center by Paradigm is the Studio/CC. I wouldn't go any less...