Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help..need advice on Sub-Woofer 'Great Deal'..and a Q regarding Front Firing Vs Floor

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help..need advice on Sub-Woofer 'Great Deal'..and a Q regarding Front Firing Vs Floor

Old 01-18-01, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, I was calling all day to different SEARS locations to find the Sony , and found one..and I took a PriceScan printout...

They matched it at $129 plus tax. When I went to merch Pick-Up, they couldn't find it..apparently, the computer had been 'wrong' about the one in stock.

The manager then charged me two more dollars(??) and sold me an AR ACR S112PS Sub.
The list price was higher, but I was suspicious, since I don't know subs, and could only say for sure that by audioreview.com and here, everyone says the Sony is the best choice.

I haven't opened it yet, and went to audioreview..apparently, my fears were right...lower ratings than the Sony, complaints over Crossover level mislisting(I don't even understand what a 'crossover' is), and to top it off, it is apparently downfiring...and I have a second floor HT with thick carpet.

How bad is this?

I WAS going to take it back and demand the Cerwin-Vega, which I know as a brand name, but noticed people bitching about THAT model,also.

How good of a deal did I get on this?(Also used a $10 off coupon)...and should I take it back and wait for the Sony?

Is it any better than the 50 watt front firing sub I got with my Aiwa Frye's HTIAB?

Sorry for all the Q's, but don't understand the downfring/frontfiring difference.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-18-01, 10:40 AM

First off, do not concern yourself with the fact that the sub is down-firing. There is really no difference and I like down-firing way more then front-firing because I feel down-firing subs are harder to locate in a room. Having thick carpet is also not a problem. Secondly, Acoustic Research makes way better speakers then Sony. I have an AR high end sub, the ARS500, and am absolutely blown away by it. Even though it is their top of the line sub it only runs about $500. I would say give this sub a shot. AR makes some very nice equipment, and you really should give this sub a listen before getting worried about it. If I had to pick between the two subs without listening to them first, I would go with the AR based on the specs and simply the brand name.
Old 01-18-01, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Bring it back and wait for the Sony. You can live without a sub for a few weeks. You will not find a sub in the 200 dollar range that comes even close to that Sony. My friend just picked it up on recommendations in this and other forums and loves it.

Zendog, Weapons problem is that he doesnt want to spend 500 dollars on a sub. If he could then I am sure he would go with something like the HSU VTF-2 which is the best sub in that price range. Makes the AR sound like my foot tapping to the music

Old 01-18-01, 12:57 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by SoSpacey:
Zendog, Weapons problem is that he doesnt want to spend 500 dollars on a sub. If he could then I am sure he would go with something like the HSU VTF-2 which is the best sub in that price range. Makes the AR sound like my foot tapping to the music
<HR>

And I am sure you can say this because you have heard both subs, right? I highly doubt it. I have actually heard both and prefer my AR over the HSU. The ARS500 is a sick sub (15inch sub which goes to 18hz with a 500watt RMS Bob Carver amp) and no matter how good you think the HSU sounds it does not make the ARS500 sound like your foot tapping to the music.

WeaponX,
Pay no intention to the post by SoSpacey. Odds are he hasn't heard any of the 4 subs mentioned. It would be very dumb to return something you haven't even heard. Who knows, you may love your AR. The sony sub may be a good sub in the price range but the bottom line is sony speakers suck IMO. I have never heard this particualr sony so I cant compare it with the AR which I also haven't heard. All I am saying is that the AR could be far supperior and you should give it a shot. Sure it may not be the ARS500 but it still may kick the sony's a$$. By the way, the AR sub is a higher priced sub then the sony (not that it matters but i just thought I'd throw that in).
Old 01-18-01, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Definitely don't worry about the fact that the AR sub is down firing and you have thick carpet. If this is the same 12" AR all the Sears around here sell, it fires down onto a piece of wood at the bottom of the cabinet and has a slotted port at the back.

I haven't heard this sub but have heard good things about it. I have the Cerwin Vega LW-12 which I'm very happy with.

I'd say open it up and listen to see how you like it. I'm sure Sears will take it back after a couple days if you don't like it.
Old 01-18-01, 03:19 PM

Dont listen to anybody, listen to me.

I agree with The Void. Even though I do have a AR sub, I think speaker selection is all a matter of personal taste. I know people who swear by Bose, but I detest it.

So open it up, and try it out in different modes / settings and see how you like it.
Old 01-18-01, 04:25 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by nabster:
I agree with The Void. Even though I do have a AR sub, I think speaker selection is all a matter of personal taste. I know people who swear by Bose, but I detest it.

So open it up, and try it out in different modes / settings and see how you like it.
<HR>

Hey I said that first not Void!!!

Old 01-18-01, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by ZenDog:
And I am sure you can say this because you have heard both subs, right? I highly doubt it. I have actually heard both and prefer my AR over the HSU. The ARS500 is a sick sub (15inch sub which goes to 18hz with a 500watt RMS Bob Carver amp) and no matter how good you think the HSU sounds it does not make the ARS500 sound like your foot tapping to the music.

WeaponX,
Pay no intention to the post by SoSpacey. Odds are he hasn't heard any of the 4 subs mentioned. It would be very dumb to return something you haven't even heard. Who knows, you may love your AR. The sony sub may be a good sub in the price range but the bottom line is sony speakers suck IMO. I have never heard this particualr sony so I cant compare it with the AR which I also haven't heard. All I am saying is that the AR could be far supperior and you should give it a shot. Sure it may not be the ARS500 but it still may kick the sony's a$$. By the way, the AR sub is a higher priced sub then the sony (not that it matters but i just thought I'd throw that in).
<HR>

Whew..

I was kidding. Relax. The whole point of my post was that this guy obviously didnt want to spend 500 bucks on a sub. I hate Sony speakers, but have heard all 3 subs that I/we have discussed. Subs below 500 dollars are generally okay, below 200 generally suck. For the money, I think the Sony is the way to go.

For my personal taste, I cant spend any of my money on a Sony sub. I dont like AR subs, but love their speakers. My friend Keith has Speakers and a sub from AR and loves them. But when he came over last night he was blown away by the HSU, and I dont think its even set-up right yet. Would he trade his AR for my HSU? Who cares.

Old 01-18-01, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A little technical mumbo jumbo about floor-firing subs and carpets:

When dealing with any kind of electromagnetic wave (whether it be an x-ray, sound wave, etc.) there's a term called penetration depth (or skin depth in metals) which is a measure of how 'deep' into a material an EM wave can go before it attenuates to a certain point. In this equation for calculating this penetration depth, frequency is in the denominator, which means that the lower the frequency of a wave you have, the deeper it will penetrate the material in question.

Because subwoofer outputs are on the order of roughly 20-150 Hz, the penetration depth is very high compared to your midrange and tweeter frequencies. Thus being said, a subwoofers output can easily penetrate carpet fibers and the sound will definitely not be "muffled" by them. So whether your sub is on a hardwood floor or your favorite 1970's-era shag carpet, you shouldn't notice a difference.

I'll shut up now.

------------------
Sex is like air. It's not important unless you aren't getting any.
Old 01-18-01, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks,guys...

The deal is that I just cannot afford even $250 for a Sub. I have many other things on my list, and just want crisp bass and something better than a passive RCA or a HTIAB 50 watt Sub.

I have no doubt I "Should" get a real name-dropper model, but I could affod up to $150 on that Sony.

I got the AR for $119 after coupon, before tax.

In all reality, I don't know how I can bitch, considering I took back a $99 KLH that seems to blow up in every review to get the AR, which seems to be at least a stable upgrade.

What worried me was the question of ..where do you 'feel' bass..floor, back slotted port, or front-firing. My only 'Speaker Sense' says sound should come from the front.
This is obviously somewhat incorrect.

The main thing that has me worried is the incredible lack of reviews and mention on this or the HTF boards..I did searches, and came up with a LOT of AR supply cables, but see nobody reccomending this sub to anyone..even though most who reviewed it payed a nice discounted price at Sears(Audioreview).

The Sony,OTOH, is having the carpet rolled out for it...

Is it because a company not known for a quality or even decent Sub actually made one for a $200 price, whereas AR , with a MFSRP of $349 is SUPPOSED to sound decent?

I will give it a try tonight.
Worst case is, I take it back.