DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Sony DVP-C670D DTS Setup? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/66182-sony-dvp-c670d-dts-setup.html)

DaMack 01-17-01 03:44 PM

I just purchased the Sony dvp-c670d 5-disc dvd player after much comtemplation. I have a older sony reciever with dolby digital and opticaland coaxial inputs but no 5.1 line level inputs. I bought the player because from what I could gather about its DTS decoding it was passed through the digital connections (ie. optical and coaxial), but come to find out it doesn't seem to work like that. It has a built in DTS and dolby digital decoder but according to customer service you can only use the DTS signal if it is passed to the receiver by way of the 5.1 line level outputs on the player. Since my reciever doesn't have these inputs am I screwed? Is the csr wrong or what? I was on the phone with the guy for alomost 2 hours going through setup options but it just doesn't seem right.

Any help would be appreciated.

ANDREMIKE 01-17-01 04:35 PM

Let me first start of by saying the DVD player does not have a built in DTS decoder..."they don't exist" The reciever has to have the DTS logo on it. Therefore recievers with the DTS logo on them allready have a decoder built in. Hence you don't need to buy a DVD player with the decoder built in. You should just use the optical or coaxial connection on the DVD player to the reciever. Doing it this way you will not be using the DVD players Decoder. You do not use all 6 rca outputs from the DVD player. This was only for us saps that bought DD ready recievers when they first came out!!
I would suggest that you return the DVD player because you don't need this added feature. Unless you really need a 5 disc carousel go buy a S360 from Sony. More then half the price you paid for your 670

ANDREMIKE 01-17-01 04:39 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DaMack:
[B]but according to customer service you can only use the DTS signal if it is passed to the receiver by way of the 5.1 line level outputs on the player

B]</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is totaly wrong!!! Call that guy back up and slap him!!! DTS only gets passed through an optical or coaxial connection!! Furthermore it will only work if your reciever has a DTS logo on it. Again if your reciever has a DTS logo on it meaning the decoders built in then you do not need a DVD player with a built in decoder.

DaMack 01-17-01 04:55 PM

This is what I figured would happen the dvd player DOES have a DTS decoder built in, it does not just pass the digital stream for decoding in a reciever. But apparently it does only passes the digital stream through optical and coax connections versus the decoded DTS stream. And this the main reason I bought this player, because my receiver does not have a DTS decoder built in and does not have the 5.1 line level inputs that it seems to require to pass a decoded DTS stream form the player to the receiver. If this is the case I am going to take back the player an get a normal ol' dvd player, but I hope it is not cause it would save me having to buy a new receiver to get DTS, which at this point I am not willing to do.

ANDREMIKE 01-17-01 05:08 PM

After further review of the player it appears your right or wrong!! But it does not make any sense then how this is supposed to work!!
I read the review and got some answers or more confused..
http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/D...ct_49380.shtml

The only reason you buy a DVD player with the decoder is to hook it up to your reciever via the 5.1 hook up. You hook it up to your DD ready reciever with those 6 RCA cables. How can Sony claim there is a built in DTS decoder if you can not pass it throught 6 RCA cables! We all know DTS gets passed through the optical/coax connection. But if your reciever has these inputs then just use the decoder in the reciever. Whats the point of this DVD player???

I am just as confused now!!

ANDREMIKE 01-17-01 05:16 PM

This is the spec for the 650
Dolby® Digital 5.1-channel decoder with full adjustments
Dolby Digital and DTS® digital output to an outboard decoder

I would assume the 670 is just a newer model with some added features/revisions. The 650 does not have a DTS decoder.
Can you find the technical specs for the 670??

ANDREMIKE 01-17-01 05:21 PM

Tech specs at 800.com
http://www.800.com/prod.asp?p=3657
Nothing about a DTS decoder..

5-Disc DVD/CD Carousel Changer Gives you the benefit of a CD changer plus the ability to play the latest in DVD. Let's put it this way...why have two components when you can have both CD and DVD functionality in one unit! Step up to a great CD Changer and DVD at the same time! Really, it's not about watching 5 movies in a row.

Dolby® Digital (AC-3) Decoder allows you to experience the thrills of today's stunning Hollywood soundtracks right in your family room. By decoding five discrete audio channels, plus a separate subwoofer channel for dynamic low bass performance, Dolby Digital delivers crisp dialogue, breathtaking movement across the soundstage, and thunderous special effects.

Disc Explorer Disc Management System Identifies each disc by type, DVD or CD, title and 16 genres of music and movies. For example, Comedy, Action, Classical and Jazz. CD Text™ and DVD Text titles and jacket picture (where available) are automatically entered. And Sony's Disc Memo™ feature enables you to enter names for discs that do not have text. Choosing a disc to play is as easy as pointing anc clicking on an on-screen menu.

Precision Drive system Sony's second-generation transport design includes Active Tilt Control, a Dynamic Focus™ system and an Advanced DSP Servo system for superb tracking of disc imperfections. Also has High-Speed Stepping Motor for fast track and chapter access.

10-Bit 27 MHz Video D/A Conversion provides rapid processing of the video signal with less signal loss, ensuring maximum image resolution and images free of artifacts.

Component Video Outputs Provide the highest level of video signal transfer quality available today when connected to televisions equipped with compatible inputs. By dividing the video signal into component elements, component video outputs deliver a remarkable improvement in picture detail at maximum resolution, with unmatched color purity and edge detail. Color blooming and "hanging dots" are eliminated, and other NTSC artifacts are eliminated.

Dolby Digital® and DTS™ Optical & Coaxial Outputs When connected to a receiver or amplifier with a Dolby Digital or DTS decoder through either the optical or coaxial digital outputs, you can enjoy the phenomenal experience of video through five discrete full range channels, whether for stunning sound effects or crystal clear dialogue.

[This message has been edited by ANDREMIKE (edited January 17, 2001).]

ANDREMIKE 01-17-01 05:25 PM

I say return it and get this one...
http://www.800.com/prod.asp?p=3634
Put the extrs money towards a DTS reciever.
I think you will benefit in the long run from doing it this way.. Especially with Satelite and Digital cable.

DaMack 01-17-01 08:15 PM

I appreciate the help but I see that you are now as confused as I am. The best solution I guess is to return this player and get one without all of the bells and whistles. I don't really need a changer since I have a CD changer already, I just wanted the DTS decoding. I guess I'll just get a single disc player now. Anybody now of a good price on the S7700?

ANDREMIKE 01-18-01 09:18 AM

UP... anyone know???

mugwump 01-18-01 09:32 AM

The 670D has onboard DD and DTS decoding but if you use the onboard decoders the signal must be passed through the 5.1 outputs to the 5.1 inputs on your receiver. If you don't have the 5.1 inputs then you will not be able to take advantage of the DTS decoder.

------------------
Mugwump's DVDs & LDs

ANDREMIKE 01-18-01 09:37 AM

I am still not convinced......have any proof.

SteveA 01-18-01 12:42 PM

The Sony DVPC670D does have onboard Dolby Digital and DTS processors. By definition, the processors separate the digital signal into six separate channels (the 5.1 channels). Getting the separated (decoded, analog) signals to the receiver requires a separate connection for each channel (the 5.1 connections on the DVD player).

The digital connection on the player passes the undecoded digital signal to the receiver, where its processors separate the signals into the 5.1 channels.

So, if you use the DVD player's processor, then you must use the 5.1 connections. If you use the digital connection, the receiver's processor will be used. If your receiver doesn't have 5.1 inputs, and it doesn't have a DTS processor, then you won't be able to output DTS with it.

I hope this helps.

Steve Armbrust
800.com

ANDREMIKE 01-18-01 01:47 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SteveA:
The Sony DVPC670D does have onboard Dolby Digital and DTS processors

If your receiver doesn't have 5.1 inputs, and it doesn't have a DTS processor, then you won't be able to output DTS with it.

</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So it does NOT have a DTS decoder built in?!?!?!?!

It only has a DD decoder built in and it can pass DTS via the digital connection to get decoded in the reciever!

Let me ask you this..... Does the Sony 530D have a DTS decoder? It has a decoder built in for DD and it has the DTS logo on it...but it can not decode DTS! through the 5.1 discreet outputs!

Someone PLEASE explain this insanity!!!
I think this is the most common misunderstanding in the home theater world!!

[This message has been edited by ANDREMIKE (edited January 18, 2001).]

stevevt 01-18-01 01:57 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ANDREMIKE:
So it does NOT have a DTS decoder built in?!?!?!?!

It only has a DD decoder built in and it can pass DTS via the digital connection to get decoded in the reciever!

Let me ask you this..... Does the Sony 530D have a DTS decoder? It has a decoder built in for DD and it has the DTS logo on it...but it can not decode DTS! through the 5.1 discreet outputs!

Someone PLEASE explain this insanity!!!
I think this is the most common misunderstanding in the home theater world!!
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All a DD or DTS label on a dvd player signifies is that they are "compatible" with DD or DTS. This is to say, they'll pass a bitstream encoded with DD and/or DTS.

If a dvd player has 5.1 outputs, it definitely has a DD decoder. DTS decoders in dvd players are very rare - Panasonic and maybe 1 or 2 other brands make them.

The misinformation in this thread was giving me a headache.

ANDREMIKE 01-18-01 02:00 PM

I totaly agree with you!! That's what I have been saying all along.........
But there is definitely some mis-informatioon out there about this player!!

stevevt 01-18-01 02:15 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ANDREMIKE:
I totaly agree with you!! That's what I have been saying all along.........
But there is definitely some mis-informatioon out there about this player!!
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your first reply in this thread included the following:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Let me first start of by saying the DVD player does not have a built in DTS decoder..."they don't exist"</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's great that you wanted to help (and did help) DaMack. And I understand that we're all learning, and we're all here to learn. All I'm saying is, if you aren't sure about certain facts, your statements should reflect this.

My "headache" comment was more directed at mugwump, who wrote, "The 670D has onboard DD and DTS decoding..."

It's hard to sort out facts from outright untruths when people are so willing to pass on misinformation.

ANDREMIKE 01-18-01 02:19 PM

I agree...
I was positive about my statement but after reading some message boards I started to have second thoughts about this player!

When I said "they don't exist" I guess what I really meant was they are very rare and probably not affordable

mugwump 01-18-01 04:42 PM

Good gravy...

Let me reiterate what I said before: the 670D has onboard DD and DTS decoders but the onboard decoders only work if you use the discrete 5.1 outputs. If you use the coax or optical outputs then your receiver must do the DD or DTS decoding. How, you may ask, do I know this? I bought a 670D, tried out the various decoder functions, realized I didn't need all the other gadgets, and exchanged it for a 660D.

Now I realize that this post will likely be followed by further comments asking the same question over and over again but if DaMack still wants verification he can go to the Home Theater Forum, do a serach for the 670D, and read all about it from sources more knowledgable than I. I guess owning one (in my case) or selling them (in SteveA's case) just isn't proof enough for some.

Sheesh.

------------------
Mugwump's DVDs & LDs

ANDREMIKE 01-18-01 04:48 PM

No its not enough proof!(I am not getting upset..just really curious) I need to see technical specs for this unit!
Units with DTS decoders are very rare and very expensive..

Someone please clear this up(Geoff? where are you?). If this unit does have a DTS decoder then I want one!!!

mugwump
In your opinion does the 530 have an onboard DTS decoder..
http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer...rod_s530d.html

------------------
Mike

mugwump 01-18-01 05:24 PM

I'm not sure why I'm bothering but here's <A HREF="http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum14/HTML/031507.html">a link</A> for further discussion. As to the 530 I wouldn't know as I've never seen, much less owned, one but the 570D supposedly has onboard DD and DTS decoding if you're looking for a single disc player with that capability.

In the words of Forrest Gump, "And that's all I have to say about that."

------------------
Mugwump's DVDs & LDs

ANDREMIKE 01-18-01 05:42 PM

Well I really appreciate your post....
Thanks for really clearing that up...
Sorry if I got pushy!!

WOW!! http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/eek.gif http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/eek.gif DTS decoder!!!!!

Does anyone want to buy a 530D so I can buy the 570D or 670D with built in DTS decoder???