Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Bose surround speakers question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Bose surround speakers question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-01, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About 3 years i go i purchased the BOSE Acoustimass 3( 2 front cubes + the base module) and all the V-300 (Center and 2 surrounds) wedge shaped speakers. Will those surrounds be compatible with Dolby5.1? I heard someone taking about different surround speakers (mono,stereo, bipolar, etc) can someone clear me up on this? Right now i have the Dolby Stereo prologic reciever and soon will replace with a DD reciever. Any help appreciated. also are there 6.1 recievers out there?
Old 01-16-01, 08:55 PM

As far as your speakers go, they will go 5.1 surround with the addition of a powered sub (for the ".1" aspest of surround). However, I highly recommend buying new speakers, and this is coming from a Bose employee. Whoever's you choose doesn't matter too much to me. But, your speakers you have are ideal in a Pro Logic type setup. You need speakers that will handle more power and a larger listening enviroment. It'll be well worth the time and money to upgrade your speakers. If you want Bose, we have a few systems that will meets your needs fine.

As far as 6.1 receivers, expect to pay around $1000 for starters. Some of the others may be able to give you better advice on the 6.1 receiver issue.

-Jeff

------------------
My Site
Old 01-16-01, 09:26 PM

Printed on back of the rear speakers say 10-80watts. Isnt that enough power? yes, i plan on buying a sub to complete the system.

Since i am using the v-100 as the center channel which says 'center channel'on it, would it be better to set the reciever as normal mode or wide mode in dolby stereo?
Old 01-16-01, 09:35 PM

Most DD receivers are around 100 watts. There are many that are 50-80, but these are not the more common ones. My main concern was the overall performance you will get from the speakers in 5.1 mode. The V-100 and model 100s are not designed to be in a digital mode. I can honestly asure you that will you be "lacking" with these speakers as your setup. But, they will still work for now.

------------------
My Site
Old 01-17-01, 07:58 AM

So what model Bose speakers do you recommend for the rears? And when looking for a DD reciever, what wattage should i be looking for to support this Bose system that i have? What guage of wire is recommended to use for the rears (I have now)? I thought i would ask these questions since you work for Bose.

thanks for your advice
Old 01-17-01, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you've only got 2 speakers, you will not be getting 5.1
You will need 5 speaker (3 front, 2 rear) plus the woofer to get 5.1 (hence, the name)
Old 01-17-01, 05:44 PM

movieman, did you read the first post? I have 5 speakers. Bose Pro was saying i need different rears. Pay Attention!
Old 01-17-01, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Do your-self a faver when/if you get new speakers,dont buy bose.......

ts
Old 01-18-01, 01:07 AM

rubberman,

I have some advice for you. Don't buy BOSE speakers ! Don't get me wrong, BOSE speakers are good. They look really nice and perform ok-good, but where you really get shafted is in the price. BOSE has a great relationship with retailers and has built its name on the elegance of its products. But when it comes to audio performance, you can do better for less. Don't buy into BOSE's marketing schemes. For half the price of a BOSE setup, you can go with a different brand that can easily outperform BOSE speakers. Buying BOSE means that you can impress your friends who don't know too much about audio performance. But not buying BOSE means you can impress those end users that do know what REALLY good audio is.

That isn't knocking BOSE, it is just one consumer's experience being imparted to another . I am as new to Home Theater as anyone else. I used to think BOSE was the **** , but after learning from audio enthusiasts that performance does not always come with the BOSE premium, I have changed my mind completely.
Old 01-18-01, 07:42 AM

niggenz,

what brand of speakers do you recommend? I have the whole Bose set up. I not go out and buy another home theater system.
Old 01-18-01, 10:19 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by rubberman:
Bose Pro was saying i need different rears. Pay Attention!
<HR>

No he didn't. He said he recommended that you get 5 new speakers. The Bose cubes you had were not designed for the full range effect of dolby digital. If you truely want dolby digital then the best option would be to get a whole new set of speakers. You could ge the Energy Take 5 set (5 small Bose size speakers plus sub) for around $600. They are about the same size as the Bose cubes and totally blow them out of the water. I definately do not recommend hooking your Bose speakers up to a dolby digital reciever. The cubes will not sound right and will give you pretty poor quality.

Old 01-18-01, 01:15 PM

Wont it still sound better than Pro Logic? So you saying all my Bose speakers are not up to par with the DD 5.1?
Old 01-18-01, 01:56 PM

rubberman,

Get rid of the BOSE setup. Get the Energy Take 5's. They will set you back about $510 if you get them at www.audioshop.on.ca. They are based out of Canada. Talk to Marc, he shipped mine to me 2nd day air to California for $506 complete with 8" sub. The Energy speakers are slightly bigger then the BOSE, but in my opinion more elegant. The come in a polished piano black finish. As far as looks go, the only thing the BOSE has over the Energies are the "coolness" factor. But when you know more about BOSE speakers, the coolness factor doesn't make up for it. BOSE satellites lack midrange. They are basically all highs. To make up for it, the subwoofer handles the midrange and LFE frequencies. That right there, is not what a sub is designed for. A sub is for LFE only. Period.

Ebay off the BOSE that you have now and get the Energy setup. You will not be sorry.