Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Toshiba 3108 Won't load Gold color DVDs

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Toshiba 3108 Won't load Gold color DVDs

Old 01-12-01, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Toshiba 3108 that has a hard time completing the "load" sequence on DVDs with a gold colored playing surface. Any clues as to cause of problem?
Old 01-12-01, 07:52 AM

Gold colored discs are actually dual layer (DVD-9)DVDs. If your player cant read these then it needs to go back to Toshiba for service. The Toshiba 3108 has been around for a few years, but it is certainly capable of reading dual layer discs when it is working right.

------------------
Ralph LaBarge
AlphaDVD
[email protected]

Old 01-12-01, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's seems like there have been a number of complaints regarding this particular model. You may want to do a search and browse through them for some possible feedback.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.

[This message has been edited by cloud (edited January 12, 2001).]
Old 01-13-01, 12:13 AM

Thanks for the help. From all the other forums I was able to determine that I have firmware version 1.000 R1 (by pressing zoom,6,0,6,zoom on the remote). According to Toshiba it needs to be upgraded. The cost is shipping to them in Atlanta plus 49.95. Some people have been able to get it for just shipping from what I read. Toshiba's explanation is that the DVD format has changed since the first ones were manufactured in 1998. Too bad they can not upgrade their firmware by sending you a disc to put in the player like I understand some companies have done.
Old 01-13-01, 10:32 AM
SS

I just recieved my SD3108 back from NEI which is a repair facility for Toshiba in Atlanta. It was gone for 13 days and cost $63 including return 2nd day shipping. it plays everyting ok now.
Old 01-13-01, 12:25 PM
Cool New Member

I sent my SD-3108 to NEI for the upgrade last month and got it back after a few weeks. Everything seems ok after playing Harry Chapin and Gladiator on it.

I bought my player in January of 1999 and Toshiba covered the upgrade and return shipping cost. (~$64 I guess) On my second call, with a mellow attitude and copy of my receipt, Toshiba went right along with paying for the upgrade. If you get an attitude from the CSR, call back and talk to someone else. It worked for me and is worth the three weeks.

I can't imagine Toshiba NOT covering the upgrade- the first Toshiba CSR claimed many DVD players have problems in magnitude of the 3108 but I have yet to see a model that gets as much attention as the SD-3108. When I asked her for evidence of her assertion, she claimed this was certainly true (because she spoke the words I guess) and I was being argumentative. Hang up and call again.

The second CSR I talked to was extremely cooperative and took care of everything once I faxed my receipt to her. NEI and Toshiba took care of business from then on. Why this isn't policy is beyond me.

Certainly this experience would keep me from thinking Toshiba is a company that knows what they're doing from the technical or service side. Why not just upgrade players with an apology for the hassle and get it over with? I hesitated buying Toshiba a couple years ago when I read about the SD-2108 having audio drop out problems and it appears my hesitation was warranted.
Old 01-13-01, 10:41 PM

The DVD Format has not changed since it was first released in 1996. If possible you should get Toshiba to pay for this upgrade, since dual layer DVD titles have been in the spec since day 1.

------------------
Ralph LaBarge
AlphaDVD
[email protected]