DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Samsung UN55TU7000 Television Question (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/654254-samsung-un55tu7000-television-question.html)

MooMooMooMoo 11-23-21 09:24 PM

Samsung UN55TU7000 Television Question

My wonderful 7 year old Vizio E55-C1 died today. My fault, I accidentally knocked it off the stand & onto the floor. The screen didn't crack, but it's now pure gibberish. A repair person told me it was toast.

I normally don't make choices this fast, but it is my only HDMI tv, & I need one for several reasons. And with Black Friday week, getting one delivered & set up was very difficult to do quickly, so I did something I normally won't do: Spent $500 without doing research. There were only 4 real options locally. Unfortunately, I have a small car & no mechanical skills to mount it; so that was a large part of my decision. I ended up choosing the store where a salesman offered to personally deliver it for free. They didn't carry Vizio or I would have gone that way again.

The set is a 55" Samsung UN55TU7000. Is it any good? I wasn't aware of the 60hz refresh rate until I got home. My Vizio had 120 hz. I won't have it until Saturday or Monday to watch it. It didn't look bad in the store; the picture was superior to a comparable LG.

Did I make an acceptable choice?

E Unit 11-23-21 10:33 PM

Re: Samsung UN55TU7000 Television Question

Based on the rtings.com review, it sounds lackluster in many areas. In that price range, this Vizio would be a much better option.

Samsung - https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/tu7000

Vizio - https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vi...s-quantum-2021

Here’s a good list of some Black Friday deals along with their ratings.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/deals

MooMooMooMoo 11-23-21 11:02 PM

Thanks. I was afraid of that. I've already bought it, though it isn't here yet. Delivery with putting the feet on & hauling my old set away is $130 here at Best Buy & they are booked for over a week on delivery. I also don't think they have it in stock. I saw that on Amazon, but only need the feet put on (I am that mechanically worthless) & couldn't find that option on Amazon. I hope this Samsung doesn't totally suck.

It was $479. + 10.3% sales tax.

kahuna 11-24-21 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 14016571)
Thanks. I was afraid of that. I've already bought it, though it isn't here yet. Delivery with putting the feet on & hauling my old set away is $130 here at Best Buy & they are booked for over a week on delivery. I also don't think they have it in stock. I saw that on Amazon, but only need the feet put on (I am that mechanically worthless) & couldn't find that option on Amazon. I hope this Samsung doesn't totally suck.

It was $479. + 10.3% sales tax.

Same price that BB, Amazon, & Walmart sells it for. Reviews on BB has 3,914 five star ratings & 129 one star ratings. Looks like this is the 2020 entry level Samsung 7 series 4K model with 2 Hdmi ports. The 2021 Samsung 55" 8 series goes for about $100 more and has 3 Hdmi ports and 2 Usb ports. Please let us know how you like your new "4K" TV.

I'm still debating on buying the entry level 2021 Samsung UN70TU6985FXZA (6 series) for $599.99 at BB. Or the 2021 Samsung UN60TU7000FXZA (7 series) for $529.99. Both TV's come with only 2 Hdmi & 1 Usb port. My biggest problem with the (UN70TU6985FXZA). Is I would have to buy a pedestal stand for this TV since the legs are about 1 inch longer than the stand I have now.

Setting up & Unboxing The Samsung 50" 7 Series Smart TV From Best Buy

MooMooMooMoo 11-24-21 12:49 AM

I was told 4 HDMI ports, but I found out it was only 2 when I got home & googled it. Ironically, the reason my TV croaked is it also has those lame feet on both edges. It's on a very nice TV Table from target that I got years ago on Craig's list. It's made for a 55" set. For the first time in around 7 years, I was in a hurry, bumped it, & it fell 3 feet to the floor, which totally destroyed the electronics. It's starting to sound like I spent more than I did for the E55C1 for a TV that isn't as good.

kahuna 11-24-21 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 14016590)
I was told 4 HDMI ports, but I found out it was only 2 when I got home & googled it. Ironically, the reason my TV croaked is it also has those lame feet on both edges. It's on a very nice TV Table from target that I got years ago on Craig's list. It's made for a 55" set. For the first time in around 7 years, I was in a hurry, bumped it, & it fell 3 feet to the floor, which totally destroyed the electronics. It's starting to sound like I spent more than I did for the E55C1 for a TV that isn't as good.

I'm still using a 1080p Samsung 58" entry level TV from almost 6 years ago. It also only came with 2 Hdmi ports. The only problem with this TV is that the smart features OS sucks. It's slow as hell and missing many apps. There is a firmware update for the TV but the Tv won't let me upgrade automatically or manually. A few years ago I brought a Roku streaming + stick for it. Been looking for a 4K Tv the past few years still have not made up my mind on which one I want.

lwhy? 11-24-21 11:54 AM

If you only need the feet put on, some of them are really easy to assemble and only require one screw. I would do it for free if I lived near you.

MooMooMooMoo 11-24-21 03:01 PM

I spoke with the store. They only carry Samsung, LG & Sony. I'm using them due to relatively quick, free delivery. The salesman said for $50-$75 I could upgrade to 120 hz, more HDMI inputs, & a built in digital tuner. I want a 55". Any suggestions from those 3 brands?

kahuna 11-25-21 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 14016828)
I spoke with the store. They only carry Samsung, LG & Sony. I'm using them due to relatively quick, free delivery. The salesman said for $50-$75 I could upgrade to 120 hz, more HDMI inputs, & a built in digital tuner. I want a 55". Any suggestions from those 3 brands?

Going by you wanting 120Hz. I checked Best Buy website. Most of the LG, Samsung, & Sony 120Hz 4K 55" TV's are going between $850-$900. You said the price you paid for the 6Hz Samsung was $480. Add the quote of $50-$75 the salesman told you would make his price for a 120Hz TV at $530-$555. I don't see how his prices could be that low for a 120Hz Sony, LG, or Samsung 4K TV. I'm wonder exactly what models he has in that price range.

Ok here are the first three 55" 4K 120Hz TV's I see from each brand.

1. Samsung QN55Q70AAFXZA - $849.99
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...?skuId=6452056

2. Sony KD55X85J - $849.99
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-55...?skuId=6454108

3. LG 55NANO90UPA - $899.99
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-c...?skuId=6456203

MooMooMooMoo 11-25-21 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by kahuna (Post 14017045)
Going by you wanting 120Hz. I checked Best Buy website. Most of the LG, Samsung, & Sony 120Hz 4K 55" TV's are going between $850-$900. You said the price you paid for the 6Hz Samsung was $480. Add the quote of $50-$75 the salesman told you would make his price for a 120Hz TV at $530-$555. I don't see how his prices could be that low for a 120Hz Sony, LG, or Samsung 4K TV. I'm wonder exactly what models he has in that price range.

Ok here are the first three 55" 4K 120Hz TV's I see from each brand.

1. Samsung QN55Q70AAFXZA - $849.99
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...?skuId=6452056

2. Sony KD55X85J - $849.99
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-55...?skuId=6454108

3. LG 55NANO90UPA - $899.99
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-c...?skuId=6456203

Cr@p. He did say he was new.................. I want the $479 Vizio, but can't get it delivered easily. 4k is not a requirement. Hopefully that will help................

MooMooMooMoo 11-25-21 08:32 PM

Did some research. I think my 120hx 55" 2k Vizio C55 was under $400 7 years ago. It seems that everything until one doubles that price is now 60hz 4k. I'd much rather have 120hz 2k. I dont even have any 4k sources! Mostly an Oppo 95 & Cable tv + occasional Amazon prime video. Also, very few sets have tuners &/or legacy in's or outs.

Thanks for the rtings.com mention. They've been very useful. One current possibility if the store still has it is the Sony X81, though it is 60 hz. It's only (cry out loud) $150 more. It looks like the cheapest 55" Sony is the X85 at (gasp) $850. Interesting that most stores have identical pricing. Not a normal BF.

MooMooMooMoo 11-26-21 04:28 PM

It's looking like I'm going to be paying $850 for either the Samsung or the Sony listed above. Not pleased as the Vizio C-55 E-1 which I consider superior in every way except 4k which I won't be using was about $400 when I bought it. I fel like I should drive nails through the feet of the new set so it can't fall of the 55" TV table.

kahuna 11-27-21 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 14017572)
It's looking like I'm going to be paying $850 for either the Samsung or the Sony listed above. Not pleased as the Vizio C-55 E-1 which I consider superior in every way except 4k which I won't be using was about $400 when I bought it. I fel like I should drive nails through the feet of the new set so it can't fall of the 55" TV table.

If your stuck on a Vizio. Best Buy has a couple of 55" models. All of these are 60HZ panels.

1. Vizio V555-J01 - (V Series) - $429.99
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-5...?skuId=6482746

2. Vizio M55Q7-J01 (M7 Series) - $529.99
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-5...?skuId=6464673

If I had to buy a Vizio I would buy the Vizio M70Q7-J03 (M7 Series) - $749.99 - the distance between the legs are only about 23".
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-7...?skuId=6464671

MooMooMooMoo 11-27-21 01:44 AM

I would do that, but I'm hesitant about putting the feet on a 55" at my age (I just did a Vizio 24" for a friend, but that's one serious size difference); it won't fit in my car (the store I chose was offering free delivery & basic set up but they don't sell Vizio & was willing to do it in slightly less than a week so I could watch my football team Monday night) & I'm concerned about even carrying it & removing from the box at my age. 2 stores carry Vizio here: Best Buy: they wanted $130 for delivery & to put on the feet; & Target they wanted $100 for just delivery & refused to give me even a tentative delivery date. Walmart might have been a 3rd option, but they wouldn't answer their phone & they are MOBBED this week. I was only going to go in if I knew that inexpensive & rapid delivery was an option

Part of my hurry is I also have no entertainment other than my pc, my Kindle & cd's without a monitor, which my Oppo requires to play anything other than cd or SACD.

I had come to acceptance of spending $850, until I read customers reviews of the 3 120mhz sets. They each have their own set of problems, none of which my 7 year old Vizio had. You even have to "pair" the freaking remote with the TV! This year, BF discounts are the worst I have ever seen on almost everything, which also doesn't help.

Here's a partial list of negatives from my research of owner reviews:

Sony:
Will only work with a Sony soundbar; audio is only output through HDMI. (I have a Bose with both Toslink & RCA inputs)
Poor Image
Google TV OS
Wi-fi cuts out frequently

Samsung $849:
Has awful speakers
Issues With Remote (2 people said it was "Solar powered???)
A number of people had issues with it not working for various reasons
Apparently the remote has to be paired with the TV. WTF?
Wi-fi cuts out frequently

& LG Nano90

"Blooming" issues My viewing room is dark, especially in winter

I was burnt out at this point, there were more negatives on the LG then the 1 i listed. I will research this set more closely on Saturday before I either spend money on something Saturday night or have them deliver the model in the title that I've already paid for.

I've also been using analog connections to my soundbar; none of these offer that. I don't know why, but I am unable to plug a Toslink into my cable box or my soundbar (both have toslink inputs) though with a bit of a struggle, the toslink cable will go into my dead TV.

I don't know if I'm more angry at myself for tipping the Vizio over because I was in a hurry to get into the next room, or if I'm more upset that a 7 year old 120mhz $400 TV was better than anything under $1k on the market today. (I haven't had the courage to look at anything more expensive than the LG)

And if I manage to do this again (I live in a large mobile, which means very narrow walkways) it's Hari Kari time after spending over $900 with our 10.3% sales tax (highest in the USA)

Thanks to those who have offered suggestions. I am furious at both myself (The old Vizio was perfect other than 1 dead HDMI input) or the industry. I am open to any other suggestions. I've even checked Craig's list, all that was close was 1 old CRT (good luck to the seller)

kahuna 11-27-21 01:53 AM

I'm sure the Sony can use other soundbars besides Sony. Yes you can get paranoid reading reviews on these TV's. Trust me I'm older than you are so I know where your coming from. I'm at the point now if I want to pay over $1000 for a 4K TV or just spend $500 for a entry level 4K TV. Who knows I could drop dead as soon as I hook it up. If you didn't knock your Vizio over it could of just stopped working. You would be in the same predicament. Wish you the best on luck as to what you end up getting. Lets us know what you end up getting.

MooMooMooMoo 11-27-21 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by kahuna (Post 14017760)
I'm sure the Sony can use other soundbars besides Sony. Yes you can get paranoid reading reviews on these TV's. Trust me I'm older than you are so I know where your coming from. I'm at the point now if I want to pay over $1000 for a 4K TV or just spend $500 for a entry level 4K TV. Who knows I could drop dead as soon as I hook it up. If you didn't knock your Vizio over it could of just stopped working. You would be in the same predicament. Wish you the best on luck as to what you end up getting. Lets us know what you end up getting.

Thanks! I was told years ago by a skilled repair person that the flat screens were only meant to last for 2 years due to heat issues. As such it's amazing that at 7 years, other than the 1 input it worked perfectly. It may just be because I am old, but most of the progress seems to me to be be a big step back. I really just want what I already had!

And the remote pairing thing blows me away. I've never dealt with that other than universals.

E Unit 11-27-21 10:16 AM

2 years? I think he just wants to make money. On average, all of mine have lasted 10+. My first 1080p (that was hit by electrical surges twice and had a powerboard replaced) has been around since 2008.

MooMooMooMoo 11-27-21 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 14017815)
2 years? I think he just wants to make money. On average, all of mine have lasted 10+. My first 1080p (that was hit by electrical surges twice and had a powerboard replaced) has been around since 2008.

And from the research I've done the last couple days the under $1k older sets were much better than what's out there now.(I haven't looked at anything pricier than the $900 LG)

kahuna 11-27-21 04:51 PM

Convert AV (RCA) to HDMI

MooMooMooMoo 11-27-21 05:26 PM

Thanks!

MooMooMooMoo 11-28-21 12:10 AM

I ended up with the Sony at $850 + 10% sales tax.............. then (it just keeps getting better)............... the salesman came to do the basic install & the screen of the new set was cracked. It was their last one. He's afraid it's going to be a few days. I was also overcharged by over $400. At least the salesman caught the overcharge before I did. He is going to try to rush a refund for the overcharge.

At this rate, I could have just gotten a Vizio from BB. I was trying to have a TV for Monday night football. This is getting ridiculous.

Main reason for the choice of the Sony was it had the best picture of the sets I was looking at in the store. Funny how rtings.com mentioned that the Sony's non-calibrated picture was almost as good as calibrated..............

I started this "project" thinking I could get by for $400 or so. Once I get the refund on the overcharge, I believe I will have spent $960.49.

This. Sucks.

kahuna 11-28-21 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 14018087)
I ended up with the Sony at $850 + 10% sales tax.............. then (it just keeps getting better)............... the salesman came to do the basic install & the screen of the new set was cracked. It was their last one. He's afraid it's going to be a few days. I was also overcharged by over $400. At least the salesman caught the overcharge before I did. He is going to try to rush a refund for the overcharge.

At this rate, I could have just gotten a Vizio from BB. I was trying to have a TV for Monday night football. This is getting ridiculous.

Main reason for the choice of the Sony was it had the best picture of the sets I was looking at in the store. Funny how rtings.com mentioned that the Sony's calibrated picture was almost as good as calibrated..............

I started this "project" thinking I could get by for $400 or so. Once I get the refund on the overcharge, I believe I will have spent $960.49.

This. Sucks.

Not sure why you would get overcharged by $400. Sorry to hear about your cracked screen. I've been hearing a lot of stories online about people getting TV shipped to them with cracked screens, as well as people who buy them at the store.
Sony's do have great picture quality especially when ti comes to Upscaling. The Sony X85L comes with a 4K HDR X1 Processor chip. Hope you get your replacement soon.

What is 4K HDR processor X1?
The 4K Processor X1™ is an innovative technology that uses advanced algorithms to cut noise and boost detail. It works with 4K X-Reality PRO™ to produce pictures that are sharp, clear and incredibly lifelike. ... Pixels across multiple frames are analyzed and images sharpened and refined in real time.

MooMooMooMoo 11-28-21 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by kahuna (Post 14018095)
Not sure why you would get overcharged by $400.

New salesman. He deducted what I had already paid on the regular receipt, but then billed the full amount of the new TV on my VISA. He was only supposed to charge me the difference (I just did the math, he overcharged me $430).

Hopefully I'll laugh about this someday............... They may say no, but it looks like I may be going 2-3 weeks total with no TV (assuming the next one is ok), so I am going to ask Comcast for a credit on the TV portion of my bill.

MooMooMooMoo 11-28-21 08:02 PM

Sigh................ I feel dirty. I'm about to watch the new Beatles Get Back on my pc with 27" monitor. I still can't believe over $1300 has been taken from the bank & I have no idea when I'll be getting a TV or a refund. Latest is they are supposed to call me tomorrow.

MooMooMooMoo 11-30-21 01:22 AM

It just keeps getting worse.......... The salesman was supposed to call me today. Turns out it was his day off. I ended up talking to a jerk manager (I was surprisingly polite under the circumstances).

Delivery of the replacement is 12/9/21. The manager refused to push it up.

No idea when I'll get the $441 refund (the overcharge was their fault 100%). The manager is supposed to call me Friday & let me know. They apparently have a policy to process refunds as slow as they legally can. I'm being serious.

Video Only: Don't buy there, you WILL be sorry.

I'm thinking of checking the local pawn shops to see if they have some small pos with an HDMI in so I can at least play music files on my Oppo. Now realizing, I should have shopped pawn shops before I bought anything.

I plan to raise hell when this is over. I'm afraid if I do so before this is resolved, I'll just get screwed worse. I chose that store because they promised it faster than anyone else could get it to me (I have a small car). Mind you, it did get here with a cracked screen this past Saturday. I'm told their normal policy is to replace defective new purchases the same day.

Oh, & the manager refused to give me a way to contact his supervisor. If you've heard their adds..........
Video Only: Don't buy there, you WILL be sorry.