Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Samsung UN55TU7000 Television Question

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Samsung UN55TU7000 Television Question

Old 11-30-21, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,297 Likes on 942 Posts
Re: Samsung UN55TU7000 Television Question

Never heard of Video Only. I see they are west coast only. Sounds like a nightmare place.
Old 11-30-21, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Cancel the order and demand a refund. If they dont give you a refund in a timely fashion, have your credit card company go after them. You're going to have to wait for a TV anyway, so why not go to a different store?
The following 2 users liked this post by jjcool:
kahuna (11-30-21), story (11-30-21)
Old 11-30-21, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

If anything is later than currently stated, I will do that.I'm going to have to wait for the refund either way,(they will fight the bank) & all the stores are backed up on delivery, so I'm concerned this could push it back several more weeks. Depending on what the store manager hass to say on Friday, I may do what you suggest anyway.

When this is over & I have a TV & my money, the state AG, the BBB & anyone else appropriate I can think of will be hearing from me.

It is an awful place that spends a ton on advertising.
Old 11-30-21, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

What jjcool said. cancel your order and dispute the transaction with your CC as soon as you can.
And just watch movies on your lappy or smaller devices until you can get a new set.

I went by Video Only over the weekend in Salem, Or for the first time in years.
They only carry LG, Sony, and Samsung in TVs and they had some great prices and some nice sets.
But no Vizio, Hisense etc.. a 30-day return policy, and not sure how it works or their warranty.
Also went by BB and Walmart, both places are dumpsters dives and Walmart had about 1/3 of their TVs like 7 feet just to the bottom of the set. Maybe it is because of BF the last time I was in a BB in California the TV section had most of their display models on unlike my last trip to the store in Oregon.

Besides Costco, I was also looking at Target and Amazon. Oh and California has Sams Club.
For reasons unknown, they have no stores in Oregon.

You might not get the best set or price at Costco. But nothing beats their return policy and extended warranty if you use their CC in some cases it was included
for free on many LG and Samsung models from what we could tell.

I was most interested in the Hisense 65" Class - U6GR5 ($500/$650) But looks like it is way different than the U6GR model, so waiting for more reviews.
Going to buy the VIZIO 65" Class - Mq7 @ 600 or maybe the Sony X81 @ 750.
At this price point, I'm not expecting great, just something good to very good. I'll post my setup later.

Also, buy a wider TV stand or cabinet. Typing this looking at my TV on a 12" wide case.
But my other 3 TVs are on a dresser and low TV cabinets almost 2 feet wide? I hope to find another nice one at a thrift shop.

Last edited by JoeySeven; 11-30-21 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-30-21, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JoeySeven
What jjcool said. cancel your order and dispute the transaction with your CC as soon as you can.
And just watch movies on your lappy or smaller devices until you can get a new set.

I went by Video Only over the weekend in Salem, Or for the first time in years.
They only carry LG, Sony, and Samsung in TVs and they had some great prices and some nice sets.
But no Vizio, Hisense etc.. a 30-day return policy, and not sure how it works or their warranty.
Also went by BB and Walmart, both places are dumpsters dives and Walmart had about 1/3 of their TVs like 7 feet just to the bottom of the set. Maybe it is because of BF the last time I was in a BB in California the TV section had most of their display models on unlike my last trip to the store in Oregon.

Besides Costco would also look at Target and Amazon. Oh and California has Sams Club.
For reasons unknown, they have no stores in Oregon.

You might not get the best set or price at Costco. But nothing beats their return policy and extended warranty if you use their CC in some cases it was included
for free on many LG and Samsung models from what we could tell.

I was most interested in the Hisense 65" Class - U6GR5 ($500/$650) But looks like it is way different than the U6GR model, so waiting for more reviews.
Going to buy the VIZIO 65" Class - Mq7 @ 600 or maybe the Sony X81 @ 750.
At this price point, I'm not expecting great, just something good to very good. I'll post my setup later.

Also, buy a wider TV stand or cabinet. Typing this looking at my TV on a 12" wide case.
But my other 3 TVs are on a dresser and low TV cabinets almost 2 feet wide? I hope to find another nice one at a thrift shop.
Problem is if I change the refund request I would be looking at 2 weeks more to get the original price paid back in my bank acount. Believe me, when this is over, I will be raising hell about it including with the stat attorney general. My table was bought used. It was designed for a 55" tv.

The one bit of good news, someone local is giving me free a 10 yo Samsung. She thinks it's a a 32", from looking up the model #, I think it's a 40. That should get me by until the 9th (no streaming, but I'll survive that).

Again, I am going to make this manager's life miserable once I have both the refund & the working set here; or if they delay any more than what I've been told. I'm just concerned that right now they have all the power & I don't want to escalate the awfulness of this situation.
Old 11-30-21, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

BESTBUY COSTCO PRE BLACK FRIDAY WALK THROUGH , WHAT 2021 TV DO YOU HAVE YOUR EYE ON?

Old 11-30-21, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another of my issues was I don't have a vehicle big enough to hold a 55", & at 64 I'm hesitant to just unpack it & screw the feet on. The only person I currently know with a van/truck said she had so much junk in it there wouldn't be room for a tv; so I did what I thought was the best way to get a 55" tv quickly. Believe me, if I'd had any idea of how scummy Video Only is, I would have done something different.

Best Buy USED to do free delivery & setup of anything 55" & over. They'll still do free delivery, but they wanted $130 just to screw the feet in!
Old 12-01-21, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Another of my issues was I don't have a vehicle big enough to hold a 55", & at 64 I'm hesitant to just unpack it & screw the feet on. The only person I currently know with a van/truck said she had so much junk in it there wouldn't be room for a tv; so I did what I thought was the best way to get a 55" tv quickly. Believe me, if I'd had any idea of how scummy Video Only is, I would have done something different.

Best Buy USED to do free delivery & setup of anything 55" & over. They'll still do free delivery, but they wanted $130 just to screw the feet in!
There are many unboxing videos on YouTube. They show you the right way to unbox and attach the feet. You must have a person who could help you unbox a TV.
Yep BB use to set-up and haul away the old TV for free. For that $130 price you might as well sign up for Best Buy Totaltech yearly membership for $199.99.
Old 12-01-21, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kahuna
There are many unboxing videos on YouTube. They show you the right way to unbox and attach the feet. You must have a person who could help you unbox a TV.
Yep BB use to set-up and haul away the old TV for free. For that $130 price you might as well sign up for Best Buy Totaltech yearly membership for $199.99.
Yep; free (promised) fast delivery, set up & haul away is why I chose Video Only. And that only became in issue when they unboxed the Sony at my house on the promised day & the screen had a huge crack in it (thanks, UPS). The 2+ weeks for redelivery/setup and the (admittedly accidental) overcharge with a 2 week delay on getting a refund are the issues.
Old 12-01-21, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Someone gave me a 10 year old Samsung 40" LCD today. That will get me by until 12/9, when I'm supposed to get my set.

I also s/w my bank today, & they want me to initiate a chargeback on the overcharge immediately (it has been started, I have to go to the branch to sign the paperwork), & wait until 12/9 to see if I get the tv I purchased before initiating a chargeback on the remaining funds.
Old 12-02-21, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Good. Get the ball rolling.
Old 12-06-21, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Chargeback for the overcharge went through today (ironically it went through while I was on the phone with the bank!) Now to see if the TV gets delivered Thursday. I also need a paper copy of the promised in home warranty.

One thing I found interesting: Someone gave me a 40" 10 yo Samsung 60 hz Plasma to get me through until I get the new set. While not nearly as good as my 2k 120 hz Vizio; I expected motion jitter with the 60 hz refresh rate. There is absolutely none. Did I need 120?
Old 12-07-21, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts

I wondered why you were so hung up on 120 hz. Unless you’re a gamer or watch a ton of 24p content, it isn’t really a must have.
Old 12-07-21, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Back in the day when I bought my Vizio, 120 was considered essential per reviews. I don't game at all. I was under the impression that 60hz would cause motion to blur. Obviously not the case.

Is there much benefit to the $900 Sony I'm supposed to be getting Thursday over a $450 modern Vizio?

The Vizio was the only flat screen TV monitor I've ever owned. The Samsung 40" 10 YO plasma that I'm using now has a much worse picture (no motion blur though); but I suspect that's plasma, lack of calibration options & age?

Someday I'm going to stop kicking myself for bumping into the Vizio & knocking it off the table. It had an excellent picture.
Old 12-09-21, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I finally got the set today. Sony's CS has been helpful. Short version: It looks better than the Vizio C55 on high quality source material; but worse on 480 Cable & god awful on Amazon Prime Streaming. Unfortunately the official owner's manual & extra info online is pretty worthless, I expect I will be calling Sony quite a bit for the first couple weeks.

I'm too tired today, but I also bought an Amazon Fire Stick. Since it plugs into an adjustable HDMI input, I'm hoping I can clean up the appearance of the Prime Streams. The built in apps don't APPEAR to have any way to adjust the picture on streams; only on the 4 HDMI inputs. And this puppy (KD-55X85J) really needs lots of tweaking. In fact, they basically recommend changing many picture settings for each TV channel or blu-ray/DVD. That's a bit more work than I wanted to be doing.
Old 12-09-21, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts

I finally got the set today. Sony's CS has been helpful. Short version: It looks better than the Vizio C55 on high quality source material; but worse on 480 Cable & god awful on Amazon Prime Streaming. Unfortunately the official owner's manual & extra info online is pretty worthless, I expect I will be calling Sony quite a bit for the first couple weeks.

I'm too tired today, but I also bought an Amazon Fire Stick. Since it plugs into an adjustable HDMI input, I'm hoping I can clean up the appearance of the Prime Streams. The built in apps don't APPEAR to have any way to adjust the picture on streams; only on the 4 HDMI inputs. And this puppy (KD-55X85J) really needs lots of tweaking. In fact, they basically recommend changing many picture settings for each TV channel or blu-ray/DVD. That's a bit more work than I wanted to be doing.
Look here for picture settings.

I canít fathom the set not having the ability to adjust picture settings on the built in apps. Iím going to assume user error on that one. Amazon Prime has some of the best bitrates on 1080p and 4K streams out thereÖ
Old 12-09-21, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by T-bone22
Look here for picture settings.

I can’t fathom the set not having the ability to adjust picture settings on the built in apps. I’m going to assume user error on that one. Amazon Prime has some of the best bitrates on 1080p and 4K streams out there…
Thanks. I've already used those on the HDMI inputs. The streaming & poor 480 upsampling are on the top of my ? list for tomorrow (they're closed) Along with what do the 4 color buttons on the remote do (The site is very unclear & both printed & on line manuals are pretty worthless).

Prime streams looked fine on my dead vizio, but here they have both Soap Opera Effect AND motion issues And the streams are much louder than Cable TV streams.
Old 12-10-21, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks. I've already used those on the HDMI inputs. The streaming & poor 480 upsampling are on the top of my ? list for tomorrow (they're closed) Along with what do the 4 color buttons on the remote do (The site is very unclear & both printed & on line manuals are pretty worthless).

Prime streams looked fine on my dead vizio, but here they have both Soap Opera Effect AND motion issues And the streams are much louder than Cable TV streams.
Motion Smoothing (Soap Opera Effect): How To Turn It Off On Sony TVs
Old 12-10-21, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks! I got several of the issues resolved by playing around last night. I think I'm going to hold off on calling them until Monday. There are stil a few issues. Probably #1 right now is when I insert a disc & it does the "copy guard handshake" with my Oppo, I get white static at the same two places on every Blu-ray (it does go away but is distracting) & 1 place on every dvd (even burned dvd's with no copy restrictions).

On any other TV I've only seen that static if an HDMI port is bad or the cable is loose. That is not the case here as it happens at the same point on every disc.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with an 11-year-old player with HDMI 2.0 communicating to the set through HDMI 2.3.

I do know that the owner's manual is really weak. The same manual is online, along with a weal FAQ. rview.com really did help, but they also didn't touch on some things.

My Vizio was easier to use. I also get the impression that Sony expects one to tweak lots of setting for every disc or TV show. The Sony allows 1 custom setting per input (I had to figure that out on my own also). The Vizio allowed unlimited custom presets.

Last edited by MooMooMooMoo; 12-11-21 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-11-21, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 894 Likes on 719 Posts

As they say, Garbage in, Garbage out. Jettison the streaming and 480i garbage and enjoy your new set for what it is meant to do: display high-resolution source material. Always use the highest resolution you can. Never, never do any streaming unless you surely want to be disappointed... Why did you just spend all the money on a new set? Not to watch shitty, compressed into oblivion, Amazon streaming! Please do better for yourself, for you deserve it.
Old 12-11-21, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Comcast has gone to a streaming only model. Ironically, I'm having issue with disc playback, more than tv at this point. HD TV looks great. I also thought Amazon was streaming at 4k? I also watch many classic & silent films.

A Sony Rep took control of the set today & said my settings made sense to him. He believes the main issues I'm still experiencing (the intermittent screen goes black for 2 seconds & the white static on copy guard handshake) are being caused by the Sony being HDMI 2.3 & my Oppo being HDMI 2.0 or whatever the standard was 11 years ago. I've never experienced the issues with my Oppo with any other Television.

If anyone can knowedably comment the HDMI 2.3 issue vs whatever version was on the Oppo BDP 95 anf if that could cause this, that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-12-21, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,297 Likes on 942 Posts

I also thought Amazon was streaming at 4k?
It does on select movies/shows.
Old 12-13-21, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kahuna
Going by you wanting 120Hz. I checked Best Buy website. Most of the LG, Samsung, & Sony 120Hz 4K 55" TV's are going between $850-$900. You said the price you paid for the 6Hz Samsung was $480. Add the quote of $50-$75 the salesman told you would make his price for a 120Hz TV at $530-$555. I don't see how his prices could be that low for a 120Hz Sony, LG, or Samsung 4K TV. I'm wonder exactly what models he has in that price range.

Ok here are the first three 55" 4K 120Hz TV's I see from each brand.

2. Sony KD55X85J - $849.99
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-55...?skuId=6454108
The Sony KD55X85J dropped another $100 at Best Buy to $749.99.
Old 12-13-21, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Sony 55" 85 was $850. I have discovered that most of my issues weren't the set (though it is more sensitive than any HDMI TV I have ever had), but were caused by the main HDMI output of my Oppo BDP-95 starting to go bad. Will be writing Oppo today.
Old 01-04-22, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Sony 55" 85 was $850. I have discovered that most of my issues weren't the set (though it is more sensitive than any HDMI TV I have ever had), but were caused by the main HDMI output of my Oppo BDP-95 starting to go bad. Will be writing Oppo today.
Turns out the above is incorrect the problem is the Oppo a HDMI 1.4 & the Sony is HDMI 2.3.................. A faster cable minimised the problem, but i'm going to have to live with it.

BB has also dropped the price twice since I bought the TV. They matched the first $50 which I applied to 5 years in home insurance. Than BB dropped it again to $750. AFTER XMAS. Weird??? This tv really has a nice picture with streaming & h-264. It isn't so happy with discs.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.