Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Letterbox? Help out a Newbie to get rid of the bars

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Letterbox? Help out a Newbie to get rid of the bars

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-01, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello folks, well I have just finished setting up my first HT and I am mighty impressed. My questions is that it appears that the majority of DVD's come in a widescreen/letterbox format. This is puzzling to me as the those with the suitable widescreen sets to play and fully enjoy this feature is minute at best. My problem is that I have a 43" HD-Ready TV and a JVC Progressive scan DVD player and my wife and I would like to watch our collection and new mivies full screen/without the blackbars. Is there a way to get rid of them? Zoom etc

------------------
Stop by for some of the best Deals /News and Reviews on the net Got|Apex?
Old 01-05-01, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

No! you will get used to widescreen. I hated it at first but no I love it. The benefits of a widescreen movie outway the negatives of the black bars.

COMMENT: you might try setting your DVD player on 16:9 mode on your 4:3 TV. This will stretch the picture and it will most likely look a little deformed but it will fill the screen.
Old 01-05-01, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you care enough about the quality of the
film viewing experiance to go beyond a $50
vcr hooked to a $200 20" tv using the tv
speakers then you should care enough to want
to see the whole film and not a chopped up,
distorted version you get with pan and scan
or a expanded beyond the directors intentions
open matte version. (How's that for a sentence? )

Do a search in dvd talk and you'll find plenty of discussion on this topic. It's probably the most common newbie question.
Old 01-05-01, 03:53 PM

Couldn't agree more!!!
WHy would you spend all that money on that setup and not want to watch movies in widescreen???
By the way the setup sounds really sweet!!!
Old 01-05-01, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DARTH:
Is there a way to get rid of them? Zoom etc
<HR>

Some DVD players have a zoom function that will allow you to eliminate the black bars, although not all zoom functions will do. It woudl be better for you to get accustomed to the unremovable black bars. So stop trolling!

[This message has been edited by DigIt (edited January 05, 2001).]
Old 01-05-01, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You have an HD ready TV and a progressive scan DVD player and you're worried about black bars?? Good grief!

I don't like the black bars either but I'd rather see a movie in widescreen than have it chopped up.
Old 01-05-01, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts
I guess it is time for you to get rid of your dvd player and go back to watching VHS movies on your HD ready TV.

Kahuna UN -
Old 01-05-01, 06:34 PM

I have a 27" Crap TV and a cheap DVD Player and I am perfectly fine watching widescreen. If you can't handle it on your 43" HD-Ready TV and a JVC Progressive scan DVD player, then maybe DVD isn't for you. Seeing a director's vision clearly isn't.

[This message has been edited by MrBEAViS (edited January 05, 2001).]
Old 01-05-01, 06:44 PM
Banned

Yes, we all know that watching movies in widescreen is better but for those that want the full screen filled up and if they get more enjoyment from that I say go ahead and do it.
Old 01-05-01, 06:52 PM

Thank you Dave.

------------------
Stop by for some of the best Deals /News and Reviews on the net Got|Apex?
Old 01-05-01, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't believe no one has shown DARTH here any sites!

DARTH, check out these sites.

http://www.widescreen.org/
http://www.dvdweb.co.uk/information/anamorphic.htm
http://www.howstuffworks.com/video-format.htm
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...eenorama2.html

The only way to apprecieate widescreen is to actually SEE how much your missing. These sites will show you.

------------------
"You're goodie little two-shoes! You're goodie little two-shoes!" -- Bad Ash, Army Of Darkness
That's Unemployed_Andrew in #dvdtalk and #other to you!
AIM: CKMorpheus
Old 01-06-01, 07:32 AM

Darth:

Trust me, you WILL get used to the black bar effect of widescreen if you give it a chance. I was once in the same boat as you; I absolutely HATED widescreen. When buying VHS tapes, if I had a choice, I would ALWAYS choose the pan-and-scan version. Let me give you an example of how I became a convert:

My favorite movie of all time is "American Graffiti". I saw it twice in theatrical release and probably another 48 or so on broadcast/cable/VHS. Since I know this movie so well, it is an excellent example. About a year or so ago, I bought the widescreen DVD version, (I had owned the VHS pan-and-scan version for many years) and I was blown away. From the opening scene on, I was seeing things I had never seen before (except for the theatrical version, of course, about 27 years ago). The movie seemed much more skillful in its execution, due mainly to the composition of the scenes; I was seeing them as George Lucas and Haskell Wexler INTENDED them to be seen.

I'm guessing by your user name that you are a fan of Star Wars, so try this: rent, buy, or borrow the VHS versions of Star Wars (or Empire, or Jedi) in both pan-and-scan and widescreen versions and compare the two. I think you'll agree that the pan-and-scan versions don't do these films justice. And keep your fingers crossed for DVD versions of the original trilogy...
Old 01-06-01, 03:06 PM

I have a 27" direct view set and while the black bars do annoy me, especially WRT DVD's with a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, I would not want to watch them any other way.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 01-06-01, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by cloud:
I have a 27" direct view set and while the black bars do annoy me, especially WRT DVD's with a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, I would not want to watch them any other way.
<HR>

I view all of my movies on my Sony 9" TV......man...talk about small!!! j/k

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 01-07-01, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a 65" 16x9 HDTV & still prefer the black bars that 2:35:1 movies have on a 16x9 set to a 1:85:1 movie that fills the screen. I love a nice wide shot, it's much more visually pleasing. It doesn't hurt that even the smallest (2:55:1) are still about 2' high and almost 5' wide on my set, but I stilled prefered them even on my 32" Sony.
Old 01-07-01, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gooo widescreen!
Old 01-08-01, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I also have a widescreen TV and still prefer the 2:35 over the 1:85. I found darkening the room helps allot. The only guaranteed way to get rid of those black bars is to stick with VHS.

http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/020954.html

------------------
Mitsubishi 55907, Yamaha 595a, Def Tech BP 2004's, plus center channel and surrounds, Toshiba 5109, Pioneer LD
Widescreen Presentation
Jim's DVD's