Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Out of sync audio in movies.

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 04-18-21, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Using my receiver / 5.1 surround sound set up. Is there anything that you can do when you put on a movie disc and the audio doesn't match up with the actors mouths? I have a lot of movies like this. I try my best to get through them. But it is kind of annoying. (Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. But it does concern movies.)
Old 04-18-21, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 280 Likes on 208 Posts
Re: Out of sync audio in movies.

Originally Posted by JOE29 View Post
(Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. But it does concern movies.)
Since it happens on many movies, it sound like your gear and not a specific movie. This issue would probably be better asked in Home theater.
Old 04-18-21, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There should be an audio sync or audio delay option in your receiver's settings. Here's some advice/tips:
https://www.lifewire.com/audio-video...heater-1846820
Old 04-18-21, 10:04 PM

I have an older receiver and a somewhat newer TV. I will try some of the things that they recommend in the link above. Thank you for your help.
Old 04-19-21, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JOE29 View Post
I have an older receiver and a somewhat newer TV. I will try some of the things that they recommend in the link above. Thank you for your help.
Your TV or even player itself may also have a sync delay setting. If this problem is specific to a certain player or input (example, a 4K or Blu-ray player, not live TV), you may want to check there first. Otherwise, you run the risk of fixing one thing and messing up others.
Old 04-19-21, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Are you running the sound and video through a single HDMI? You mention the receiver is older. Does it have HDMI? You have to run both audio and video into the receiver via a single HDMI, then from receiver to tv. If you run HDMI from player to tv for video, but run audio to receiver using different type of cable, the audio and video are being processed at different speeds.
If the receiver is old enough that it can't process video through HDMI, you either need to upgrade receiver, or run video to tv with component cables.
As long as everything is going through a single HDMI you will always be in sync. As long as you mix HDMI and component you'll constantly have sync problems.
You can test to see if this is the problem. If audio/video is in sync when listening through tv's speakers but out of sync when listening through receiver.

Last edited by rw2516; 04-20-21 at 05:49 AM.
Old 04-20-21, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Are you running the sound and video through a single HDMI? You mention the receiver is older. Does it have HDMI? You have to run both audio and video into the receiver via a single HDMI, then from receiver to tv. If you run HDMI from player to tv for video, but run audio to receiver using different type of cable, the audio and video are being processed at different speeds.
If the receiver is old enough that it can't process video through HDMI, you either need to upgrade receiver, or run video to tv with component cables.
As long as everything is going through a single HDMI you will always be in sync. As long as you mix HDMI and component you'll constantly have sync problems.
You can test to see if this is the problem. If audio/video is in sync when listening through tv's speakers but out of sync when listening through receiver.
I'll have to look at the several fixes that you mentioned. Regular sound through the TV is good. It only goes haywire when using the receiver.
Old 04-24-21, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

I had the same issue and for me it was a problem with my TV trying to do the decoding of the audio instead of letting my home theater system do it. Usually there's a setting on smart TVs (under audio) that will "bypass" the incoming audio - you want to enable this. It should do the trick.
Old 07-04-21, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I replaced a 10-year-old Panasonic long-throw projector with the Optoma Cinemax P2 Ultra Short Throw projector. I'm having audio sync problems while watching UHD discs because I have to split the audio and video coming out of my Sony UHD Blu-ray player. I tried correcting the sync issue using the player's menu, but it doesn't work. The delay can be changed from 0 to 120 ms. The default setting is 0, and increasing it only makes the audio more out of sync. Curiously, when I use the same UHD player to play 3D Blu-rays or stream 4K video at 60Hz in HDR from Youtube and Prime Video, I don't have sync issues. I can't run the video through my receiver because it's an older Onkyo unit that doesn't support 4K or HDR. The projector and receiver sit at opposite ends of the room because the speaker wires are in the walls and are all routed to the back wall where the old projector sat, so the receiver can't sit next to the new projector. The UHD player currently sits next to the P2 under the screen. It has two HDMI ports. I'm running audio only from one of them to the receiver using a 40' cable from Ultra Clarity Cables (Amazon) that claims to support HDMI 2.0 18 Gbps at 60 Hz, and I'm running a 10.2 Gbps Monster cable from the other port for video. However, I'm not convinced the 40' cable really supports HDMI 2.0 because I originally had it running from the UHD player to the P2 when I had the player in the back of the room, and in that scenario the P2's HDMI 2.0 port didn't think anything was plugged into it. Once I moved the player next to the P2 under the screen and connected it with the much shorter Monster cable, the P2 recognized it and confirmed the signal was 4K at 60 Hz in HDR.

I'll have to live with my current receiver for a while longer. So... Do you think a better, more expensive cable would solve the problem or would any 40' cable have this issue? Is there another solution to this problem? Your help is much appreciated.
Old 07-04-21, 05:22 PM
Premium Member

Received 356 Likes on 287 Posts

Cords that are really long can suffer from those types of issues due to length, but usually do work. I’d just buy another HDMI cord that supports what you need. Stay away from the urge to use brands just cause of their names. If you’re worried if they really do support what you need, just check the reviews and who makes them and check them out. But because it says Monster, that doesn’t mean much, except that they charge a lot more.
Old 07-04-21, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Cords that are really long can suffer from those types of issues due to length, but usually do work. I’d just buy another HDMI cord that supports what you need. Stay away from the urge to use brands just cause of their names. If you’re worried if they really do support what you need, just check the reviews and who makes them and check them out. But because it says Monster, that doesn’t mean much, except that they charge a lot more.
Yeah, I guess I'll try another cord. I've been reading customer reviews and will go that route again. I did that with the first 40' cord, but we know how that went. LOL. I was surprised the 10.2 Gbps Monster cord delivered HDR because I read somewhere 10.2 isn't sufficient for HDR. I'm just relieved the HDMI 2.0 port on the new projector works!
Old 07-06-21, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I used a directional 40' cable today. It seems to have solved the lack of HDR problem. I also fixed the sync problem by turning on Gaming mode on the projector. I'm no hard core gamer, so I didn't think I'd ever use that mode. I was desperate and just trying different settings. It begs the question, though: Why would Optoma make a projector that essentially requires you to use Gaming mode to avoid sync issues, and why isn't the default setting "On"?