DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   School me in 4k. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/651632-school-me-4k.html)

GatorDeb 10-28-20 09:13 AM

School me in 4k.
 
I'm picking up a 4k tv by the end of November. So far I've gathered that there's fake and real 4k like there's 1080i and 1080p, and there's terms like full hd or uhd etc. What are the tiers of 4k from best to worst?

I'm looking for a 43 inch TV that will be 10 feet away from me and used mostly for the Nintendo Switch (and I'll be picking up the 4k Switch Pro coming out in the Spring of 2021). Do I need the best 4k? (and I know the answer is yes always but still :)).

PerryD 10-28-20 09:35 AM

Re: School me in 4k.
 

Originally Posted by GatorDeb (Post 13831401)
I'm picking up a 4k tv by the end of November. So far I've gathered that there's fake and real 4k like there's 1080i and 1080p, and there's terms like full hd or uhd etc. What are the tiers of 4k from best to worst?

I'm looking for a 43 inch TV that will be 10 feet away from me and used mostly for the Nintendo Switch (and I'll be picking up the 4k Switch Pro coming out in the Spring of 2021). Do I need the best 4k? (and I know the answer is yes always but still :)).

All 4K TVs are the same resolution. For gaming, I would suggest doing a little homework on TVs that have a "gaming" setting to reduce lag time.

Dan 10-28-20 09:37 AM

Re: School me in 4k.
 
With that small of a set, that far away, you should not worry yourself about fake vs. real 4k. I mean that in a good way, honestly. Everything is going to look damn good.

Read through this: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/be.../40-42-43-inch
Then decide what's best for you. Rtings are the best for this stuff, and they have every type of consumer in mind.

Noonan 10-28-20 09:44 AM

Re: School me in 4k.
 
At 43", 10 feet away, I doubt you'd even notice a difference with 4k. Save up and get something 50"+.

GatorDeb 10-28-20 09:57 AM

Re: School me in 4k.
 

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13831419)
At 43", 10 feet away, I doubt you'd even notice a difference with 4k. Save up and get something 50"+.

No room.

They don't seem to make gaming tvs under 49" :/

Noonan 10-28-20 10:03 AM

Re: School me in 4k.
 
Then I would not bother upgrading if you already have a decent 1080 set. AFAIK, OLED sill isn't available in a size below 50. A LED 4k set from that distance won't look any different than what you have now.

Also, any new Switch will only output 4k. The games certainly won't be rendered in 4k like what we're going to see with the PS5/XBX


GatorDeb 10-28-20 10:08 AM

Re: School me in 4k.
 
I need a new TV and I thought I might as well get a 4k. The kid took over my TV and now that I have the Switch I want one but "her" TV is between her play area and a wall so I can't get to it for comfortable gaming. It's a 1080i 32 inch that I never really used. So get the cheapest 43 inch I can find in Black Friday deals and the Switch will look great? I have a Samsung phone, tablet, and watch so I figured I should probably get a Samsung TV.

story 10-28-20 11:13 AM

Re: School me in 4k.
 
I'll take a little more schooling, too, please. Here's our current set-up:

Downstairs Den: 2017-2018 Samsung 55" UHD 4K TV UN55NU6900FXZAV picked up on Black Friday for $400 at Target in 2018 and I've been impressed (now $321 at Walmart at the link). I didn't think 4K could be that much better but wow, watching Star Wars: Rogue One on Disney+ in 4K was impressive, most impressive! It's paired with a 7.1 sound system and Onkyo receiver, so it's our go-to for a movie night.

Upstairs Living Room (with easy Dining Room view): 2011-2012 Samsung 55" HDTV BN64-02774G-00 picked up on Black Friday for $700 or so at Target in 2012 and it's fine. It's showing its age, especially in terms of bells and whistles. For example, the two HDMI ports would be fine, except we could use three for the Blu-ray player, NES and SNES Classic, and the Amazon Fire Stick. We wouldn't need that, except this TV is old enough the apps are limited so there's no Disney+ app, which means we use the Fire Stick but it's first generation and gets really fickle sometimes, it's frustrating. It's mounted above the fireplace and the previous owner installed a digital antenna jack and AC plug in-wall behind it so it's a really nice mounting job. It's our go-to for watching a show briefly during or after dinner as a family, or watching the news or maybe a weekend movie when we want to be upstairs where there's more natural light.

Goal #1: Move the Samsung 55" UHD 4K from downstairs to upstairs. We have the exact same swivel wall mounts so it's just a matter of lifting it off the bars and setting it down.
Goal #2: Get a sound bar for the fireplace mantle. I need help on this one, I don't know where to start.
Goal #3: Get a new UHD 4K TV that's 65"+ for downstairs and I'd love to do that for under $400 again, if prices are still going down. Any leads on this?

Down the road, I'd like to get a UHD player and/or PlayStation 5 for downstairs, too, but one thing at a time. For now, it's about something bigger downstairs and something UHD upstairs. We also have been impressed with Samsung and have all Samsung phones, tablets, watches, and TVs. It's been helpful for a quick screen casting moment, too. Any reason to not go Samsung again?

Thanks, everyone!

fujishig 10-28-20 11:54 AM

Re: School me in 4k.
 
Did I miss a Switch 4k announcement or something? Even if they do release a switch pro, I highly doubt you'll need a top of the line 4k tv.

If you're going to get a set that small, just get a TCL with the bells and whistles you want. That's what I did.

GatorDeb 10-28-20 12:27 PM

Re: School me in 4k.
 

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13831504)
Did I miss a Switch 4k announcement or something? Even if they do release a switch pro, I highly doubt you'll need a top of the line 4k tv.

If you're going to get a set that small, just get a TCL with the bells and whistles you want. That's what I did.

Spring 2021.

fujishig 10-28-20 12:29 PM

Re: School me in 4k.
 

Originally Posted by GatorDeb (Post 13831534)
Spring 2021.

Source?

GatorDeb 10-28-20 12:37 PM

Re: School me in 4k.
 

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13831536)
Source?

Google switch pro 4k.

E Unit 10-28-20 12:47 PM

Re: School me in 4k.
 
Just keep in mind Deb, that Nintendo has NEVER been on the forefront of cutting edge game graphics. That's safely in the hands of Sony and Microsoft. So if you are looking to get a 4K TV to mostly use it for a 4K Switch, then a standard 4K TV will do. You won't need HDR/HDR10/HDR+, Dolby Vision, Atmos and all the tech in the higher end TV's. That's for the hardcore gamer who is going to want to play their games at 4K 120Hz. The good news is that just about all 4k TV's have HDR now, which helps just about every 4K source. I haven't read any of the specs yet for the upcoming Switch, but if anything, it will be more than likely a very marginal upgrade from the current Switch and its specs, which just outputs at 1080.

So overall, the best 40"+ TV would be any quality LCD/LED/QLED one. That will do the job for you very well.

fujishig 10-28-20 12:51 PM

Re: School me in 4k.
 

Originally Posted by GatorDeb (Post 13831541)
Google switch pro 4k.

So... just rumors then?

I agree with E Unit, even if they do make a switch pro that outputs 4k, it won't be top of the line 4k unless they completely redesign the system, and even then the value add for them is not competing with the about-to-launch PS5 and Series X, it's the portable aspect, their games, and cost of their system. If they made a truly top of the line 4k portable system their hardware and development cost would skyrocket. Plus as stated you won't be able to tell that much of a difference at the size you're looking for.

If you really want to get this for the switch I'd at least wait until specs are out, though.

kahuna 10-28-20 12:56 PM

Re: School me in 4k.
 

Originally Posted by GatorDeb (Post 13831426)
No room.

They don't seem to make gaming tvs under 49" :/

LG 48" CX OLED - it's not cheap though.

This OLED TV should be your next gaming monitor | LG 48-inch CX OLED


E Unit 10-28-20 01:28 PM

Re: School me in 4k.
 
Here's a rtings list of the best 40"-43" TV's, Fall 2020. Not sure if you're locked into that size range, but if your TV is 10 feet away, then a 50-55" one would really be ideal.

40" range https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/be.../40-42-43-inch
50" range https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-4k...view-4837.html


fujishig 10-28-20 04:14 PM

Re: School me in 4k.
 

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13831575)
Here's a rtings list of the best 40"-43" TV's, Fall 2020. Not sure if you're locked into that size range, but if your TV is 10 feet away, then a 50-55" one would really be ideal.

40" range https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/be.../40-42-43-inch
50" range https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-4k...view-4837.html

I'm surprised the TCLs fell off the trings recommendations. Did the 2020 versions drop in quality or did everyone else up their game?

E Unit 10-28-20 05:45 PM

Re: School me in 4k.
 
Neither actually. The first link is for models in the 40” range. TCL’s highly rated ones are 55”-75”. The second link has a TCL as the second highest rated.

fujishig 10-28-20 05:54 PM

Re: School me in 4k.
 

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13831784)
Neither actually. The first link is for models in the 40” range. TCL’s highly rated ones are 55”-75”. The second link has a TCL as the second highest rated.


rtings says they removed the TCLs so they must have been last year's budget picks:


09/25/2020: Removed the TCL 5 Series and 4 Series 2019 and added the LG UN7300 and Toshiba Fire TV 2020.

E Unit 10-28-20 06:09 PM

Re: School me in 4k.
 
The new TCL sexy is their Series 6 QLED. Those came out a couple of months ago.

GatorDeb 10-29-20 02:08 AM

Re: School me in 4k.
 
I wonder if I should just get the cheapest 40 inch+ 4k I can find. I wanted to play Xenoblade in the big screen. And I stream a lot. Anything would look good to me probably since I'm going up from a small screen. Like Nintendo Switch small. And I watch my shows on my phone or laptop and lately tablet.

TomOpus 10-29-20 06:09 AM

Re: School me in 4k.
 

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13831575)
Here's a rtings list of the best 40"-43" TV's, Fall 2020. Not sure if you're locked into that size range, but if your TV is 10 feet away, then a 50-55" one would really be ideal.

40" range https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/be.../40-42-43-inch
50" range https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-4k...view-4837.html

I have the Vizio V-series 43", which got good marks across the board. I've been pretty happy with it. And the price was right. If you're going to watch movies, it upscales blu-rays pretty well if you don't want to buy a 4k player.
Vizio V Series 2019 TV Review

GatorDeb 10-29-20 07:34 AM

Re: School me in 4k.
 
I ended up buying this. Don't know if we'll ask them to drop it off into the room itself (included in the free delivery) or just drop it off in front. Here Saturday. Four year warranty and I could always return if it sucks.

Hisense - 65" Class H6510G Series LED 4K UHD Smart Android TV

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisense-65-class-h6510g-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-android-tv/6430857.p?skuId=6430857

$315.92 including taxes and warranty plan. It's an inch taller than me, I'll make it fit :lol: (although I know that's diagonal).

Noonan 10-29-20 08:41 AM

Re: School me in 4k.
 
Yesterday you said you had no room for a 50", so you went and bought a 65"?

GatorDeb 10-29-20 08:43 AM

Re: School me in 4k.
 

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13832144)
Yesterday you said you had no room for a 50", so you went and bought a 65"?


It was cheap!

I started thinking that I'm 64 inches so maybe I have room for it. I mean *I* fit through the door so maybe the TV will too. Ask my husband I have no eye for measurements :lol:

Noonan 10-29-20 08:44 AM

Re: School me in 4k.
 
That makes no sense but ok. Enjoy the TV.

fujishig 10-29-20 11:25 AM

Re: School me in 4k.
 
Usually people look at the space where the tv is going to go to determine how big of a tv to get, but I guess fitting through a door works too?

I get it, this tv is dirt cheap (250). Seems like it has a narrow viewing angle and is subject to glare, but if you're upgrading from what you said that probably doesn't matter for the price.

It's basically a Best Buy-exclusive sale model of this tv (not sure the exact differences):
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/h6570g

kahuna 11-19-20 01:29 PM

Re: School me in 4k.
 

Originally Posted by GatorDeb (Post 13832136)
I ended up buying this. Don't know if we'll ask them to drop it off into the room itself (included in the free delivery) or just drop it off in front. Here Saturday. Four year warranty and I could always return if it sucks.

Hisense - 65" Class H6510G Series LED 4K UHD Smart Android TV

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisense-65-class-h6510g-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-android-tv/6430857.p?skuId=6430857

$315.92 including taxes and warranty plan. It's an inch taller than me, I'll make it fit :lol: (although I know that's diagonal).

How to you like the 65" Hisense 65H6510G? I been trying to buy this at the $250 price but every time it drops to that price it's OOS or not
available for delivery. I see now it's finally in stock & available for delivery. So lets see what happens when this drops in price on 11/22/20.

E Unit 11-19-20 02:53 PM

Re: School me in 4k.
 
Is that when it's dropping in price again? I'm pondering it.

andicus 11-19-20 03:41 PM

Re: School me in 4k.
 
Too late, now, but there is a 43" 4k TV with a game mode. I just bought a Sony XBR43X800H with it. My intent was/is to use it as my main PC monitor, so it had to have that option.

I have to say, it makes a big difference in response. I didn't try changing settings from other modes, so it's possible that turning off some undesired features could reduce lag.

kahuna 11-19-20 04:56 PM

Re: School me in 4k.
 

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13845664)
Is that when it's dropping in price again? I'm pondering it.

It dropped in price again on 11/15/20 but once again went OOS in most places. From what I seen posted
on slick deals. The next BF sale price ($250) will be on 11/22/20.

Why So Blu? 11-19-20 10:04 PM

Re: School me in 4k.
 
My buddy ended up buying that one the first time it dipped to $250 from Best Buy. Said it's awesome. I should have bought one as a back-up, but since this set is trending I'm sure it will continue to be affordable for years to come.

E Unit 11-22-20 12:37 PM

Re: School me in 4k.
 

Originally Posted by kahuna (Post 13845750)
It dropped in price again on 11/15/20 but once again went OOS in most places. From what I seen posted
on slick deals. The next BF sale price ($250) will be on 11/22/20.

Do you know when the price may drop? BB already started their sales prices, but this one still says coming soon. Although, it is already priced at $249.99.

kahuna 11-23-20 03:38 AM

Re: School me in 4k.
 

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13847184)
Do you know when the price may drop? BB already started their sales prices, but this one still says coming soon. Although, it is already priced at $249.99.

Posted on slickdeals.
Cyber Week deal, will go live on Saturday Nov 28.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/black-f...30a98a46550INT

E Unit 11-23-20 09:21 AM

Re: School me in 4k.
 
Cool, thank you.

kahuna 11-27-20 04:38 PM

Re: School me in 4k.
 
The Hisense 65H6510G for $250 should go live at 12am tonight on BB.com. I'm sure this will sale out fast.

E Unit 11-27-20 06:54 PM

Re: School me in 4k.
 
Do you know which time zone?

kahuna 11-28-20 12:02 AM

Re: School me in 4k.
 

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13849770)
Do you know which time zone?

Well right now it's a lttle after 12 am, still not live. So my guess will be 1am EST time.

kahuna 11-28-20 01:22 AM

Re: School me in 4k.
 

Originally Posted by kahuna (Post 13849871)
Well right now it's a lttle after 12 am, still not live. So my guess will be 1am EST time.

Well 1am est came & now is gone. So who knows when this will go live.

kahuna 11-28-20 09:55 AM

Re: School me in 4k.
 

Originally Posted by kahuna (Post 13849886)
Well 1am est came & now is gone. So who knows when this will go live.

It went live at 1:27am est. Our 2 BB stores had none in stock or for delivery.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 AM.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.