Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Samsung bluray players go awol worldwide.

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Samsung bluray players go awol worldwide.

Old 06-22-20, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts
Re: Samsung bluray players go awol worldwide.

Changing the password on the router would be a nightmare. I would have to change the password on a lot of connected devices. I hope my changing the settings to wired works.
Old 06-23-20, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Haven't been keeping up with this story- has anyone gotten theirs to work again after this? This is one of my worst nightmares. I actually had a Vizio TV get messed up, displaying a choppy frame rate randomly, after one automatic firmware update. People on AVSForum posted about the same problem, but Vizio denied it and refused to issue a fix. I had paid for the extended warranty so I was able to get my money back and still sell the TV to someone who didn't notice the problem (and I will NEVER buy anything from Vizio again because of this). I should probably disable updates on my LG TV as it's one of the last 3D models and would be hard to replace, but there's a few design flaws that I keep hoping they'll fix also. I have my Oppo players still set to update also, but they've always asked before installing new firmware which there hasn't been any of in more than a year. I've wondered how many people even keep their players connected to the internet, as a lot of sites encouraged turning BD-Live off when it was still a thing (I keep that on mine for the stuff that hasn't been taken off-line yet, or to laugh when it has. The 4K Oppo doesn't even have any streaming apps so there's little practical reason to use the wi-fi on that at all.)

Will have to research this more when I have time and see if Samsung fixes it. The theory of a disgruntled ex-employee is amusing. In one of my weird dreams, I dreamed that my TV got a firmware update and physically changed into a different and smaller model!
Old 06-24-20, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 510 Likes on 373 Posts

I'd be surprised if Samsung does anything.

Apparently, the damage done to the players is so severe (they won't even boot) that it's not possible to fix it with a software update. Everyone would have to send their players in to be repaired.

And since Samsung isn't making players anymore -- it's a dead product line -- they probably don't have the infrastructure to handle all of these repairs.

Sad thing is, most people are going to find out their players are bricked and, since they don't hang around on forums like these or read tech articles, they won't know it's a widespread problem or that Samsung is 100% at fault for destroying their hardware. They'll just assume their player broke and buy a new one.
Old 06-24-20, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

(More generally).

Expiring root certificates and "bricking" a device has already happened: roku

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...dges-and-iots/
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (06-24-20)
Old 06-24-20, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 568 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I'd be surprised if Samsung does anything.

Apparently, the damage done to the players is so severe (they won't even boot) that it's not possible to fix it with a software update. Everyone would have to send their players in to be repaired.

And since Samsung isn't making players anymore -- it's a dead product line -- they probably don't have the infrastructure to handle all of these repairs.

Sad thing is, most people are going to find out their players are bricked and, since they don't hang around on forums like these or read tech articles, they won't know it's a widespread problem or that Samsung is 100% at fault for destroying their hardware. They'll just assume their player broke and buy a new one.
Even though they don't make blu-ray players anymore, if they do nothing for these bricked systems that's going to do a number on their brand.
The following users liked this post:
Alan Smithee (06-24-20)
Old 06-24-20, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

And "something" was obviously able to be done to make this happen in the first place.
Old 06-24-20, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Even though they don't make blu-ray players anymore, if they do nothing for these bricked systems that's going to do a number on their brand.
"Samsung is aware of an issue affecting a small number of devices causing them to be continuously rebooting. If we recognise your model as one that is potentially affected then we are happy to offer a Free of Charge repair to rectify this issue only, once confirmed by our nominated Authorised Service Centre."

In other words, it's best to get in touch with the Samsung Audio/Visual Support teams directly, and they will advise/assist you from there.

[Links removed]

from AntS - Moderator on Samsung EU forums.
Old 06-24-20, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
In principle they can just "outsource" the repairs to a third party.
Old 06-24-20, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

After years of reading reviews about Samsung TVs (high failure rate), Samsung phones (exploding), and now Samsung BD players (intentionally bricking), this brand has really gone down the toilet.

However, the only Samsung products I have in my house are the washer and dryer. Still good after 10 years, so I'm lucky with that.

Old 06-25-20, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Is this all Blu-ray players, including 4Ks?
Old 06-27-20, 12:21 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I didn’t really expect anything different, but just to be thorough I checked mine today, still a brick. I think that all players that caught this virus are permabricked. Somebody prove me wrong, please!
Old 07-21-20, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Looks like it wasn't a certificate error but a bad XML file.

It was speculated by netizens and some media reports that a HTTPS certificate error was to blame. However, it's been suggested to The Register that the cause of the failure was an XML file downloaded by the network-connected devices from Samsung servers during periodic logging policy checks. This file, when fetched and saved to the device's flash storage and processed by the equipment, crashed the system software and force a reboot. Upon reboot, the player parsed the XML file again from its flash storage, crashed and rebooted again. And so on, and so on, and so on. Crucially, the XML file would be parsed before a new one could be fetched from the internet, so once the bad configuration file was fetched and stored by these particular Samsung Blu-ray players in the field, they were bricked.

https://www.theregister.com/2020/07/...off_explained/
Old 07-21-20, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 219 Posts

So, no way to put in a good xml replacement? They're actually dead?
Old 07-21-20, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
So, no way to put in a good xml replacement? They're actually dead?
To fix the issue, Samsung eventually advised customers to return their inoperable video players for repairs. There is no software fix.

Nope
Old 07-22-20, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
To fix the issue, Samsung eventually advised customers to return their inoperable video players for repairs. There is no software fix.

Nope
I just sent mine to Samsung (at their expense) and they are saying they will repair it for free. I read that one guy has already got his back repaired and is happy with the outcome, so I am optimistic!

Contact them thru product support at Samsung.com. Be prepared though because they will require you to upload a copy of your receipt and they will ask you for a slew of info. BTW, the longest part was verifying the serial number, the actual unit had one more character than the receipt, and there was some confusion between 0 and O, so have your magnifying glass out!

Last edited by slybone; 07-22-20 at 05:48 AM.
Old 07-22-20, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 161 Likes on 135 Posts

Why on earth would they require a receipt, unless they're just trying to weasel out of doing some repairs. Hard to imagine many people would hang onto the receipt after the warranty had expired.
Old 07-22-20, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

I'm going to fire mine up tomorrow and see if my switching the wifi connection from wireless to wired will keep it from bricking.
Old 07-22-20, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
I'm going to fire mine up tomorrow and see if my switching the wifi connection from wireless to wired will keep it from bricking.
I would hope they've addressed the distribution of the bad XML file, by now.
Old 07-22-20, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
Why on earth would they require a receipt, unless they're just trying to weasel out of doing some repairs. Hard to imagine many people would hang onto the receipt after the warranty had expired.
I luckily still had my receipt, with electronic devices I usually stick it inside the owner’s manual, as I did in this case. I would hope that even if I didn’t have it they still might help, but who knows.
Old 07-22-20, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah that's ridiculous that they are requiring the receipt.

I would hope they've addressed the distribution of the bad XML file, by now.
Crucially, the XML file would be parsed before a new one could be fetched from the internet, so once the bad configuration file was fetched and stored by these particular Samsung Blu-ray players in the field, they were bricked.
Old 07-22-20, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

I'm surprised more stuff like this doesn't happen. I know that most older "smart" televisions have largely non-working services these days. These companies like maintaining updates for a year or two before abandoning them.
Old 07-22-20, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slybone View Post
I luckily still had my receipt, with electronic devices I usually stick it inside the owner’s manual, as I did in this case. I would hope that even if I didn’t have it they still might help, but who knows.
Yeah, I keep all my receipts, too. I just know many people wouldn't.
Yeah that's ridiculous that they are requiring the receipt.

Crucially, the XML file would be parsed before a new one could be fetched from the internet, so once the bad configuration file was fetched and stored by these particular Samsung Blu-ray players in the field, they were bricked.
I get why it happened, I'm just suggesting that as soon as they realized what was going wrong, they would (at least 'should') have prevented the corrupt XML file from being sent in any update.

As long as you didn't receive that update (by removing any possibility of the player being online), I would think it would be okay to allow the player to go online, now. I still wouldn't do it, but I can't imagine that the update would continue to be available. It would only cost them money in repairs.
Old 07-22-20, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I get why it happened, I'm just suggesting that as soon as they realized what was going wrong, they would (at least 'should') have prevented the corrupt XML file from being sent in any update.

As long as you didn't receive that update (by removing any possibility of the player being online), I would think it would be okay to allow the player to go online, now. I still wouldn't do it, but I can't imagine that the update would continue to be available. It would only cost them money in repairs.
I would think so but who knows these days. I told my friend to never connect his old players to the internet to be safe.
Old 07-22-20, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 147 Posts

Looks like it wasn't a certificate error but a bad XML file.

It was speculated by netizens and some media reports that a HTTPS certificate error was to blame. However, it's been suggested to The Register that the cause of the failure was an XML file downloaded by the network-connected devices from Samsung servers during periodic logging policy checks. This file, when fetched and saved to the device's flash storage and processed by the equipment, crashed the system software and force a reboot. Upon reboot, the player parsed the XML file again from its flash storage, crashed and rebooted again. And so on, and so on, and so on. Crucially, the XML file would be parsed before a new one could be fetched from the internet, so once the bad configuration file was fetched and stored by these particular Samsung Blu-ray players in the field, they were bricked.

https://www.theregister.com/2020/07/...off_explained/
What the hell are "periodic logging policy checks" and WHY the bleeding hell is THAT necessary? Some sort of disguised phone-home technique couched in sanitized and "safe" word-salad language?

Give me fucking break. I'm 100% certain that "periodic logging policy checks" do NOT need to be done, nor SHOULD they be done, in order for these standalone players to function at the relatively straightforward task of decoding h.264 video and piping it to a monitor! These "logging checks" benefit one and only one entity: SAMSUNG. The bastards!
Old 07-24-20, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

According to the article, the malformed XML file was being served between June 18-June 27.

So it should be safe now, though the software flaw still exists. That is, it could still be bricked by another malformed XML file.

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Give me fucking break. I'm 100% certain that "periodic logging policy checks" do NOT need to be done, nor SHOULD they be done, in order for these standalone players to function at the relatively straightforward task of decoding h.264 video and piping it to a monitor! These "logging checks" benefit one and only one entity: SAMSUNG. The bastards!
The affected Blu-ray players, we're told, do not transmit their logs until a privacy notice has been accepted by the user. The privacy notice comes into play when the customer connects the device to the internet and tries to use a network service like Netflix.”

So, if you never connected your Blu-ray player online or if you never launched a service that triggered the privacy notice, it would not collect this telemetry.

You’re right, a BD Player doesn’t need to be Internet connected, except for BD-Live content. Firmware updates can (usually) be done offline by disc or USB. No one needs to use the smart apps on their player.