Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

sony vs onkyo

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-01, 05:20 PM
rol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i can't decide between a home theater sony 620 or a onkyo 484. i'm like this for all my electronics and i need advice. don't want to spend more then 500.00 and i really want a dts systems. any suggestions?
Old 01-02-01, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If it helps any, I've got the Onkyo 484 and I'm very impressed with it. The reciever is awesome for an entry level reciever(thankfully it does have DTS decoding) the speakers are suprisingly good and the sub is a bit boomy but suprisingly good as well. I think it's a great setup for movies but it also sounds good enough to me to be my primary music system as well. Some of the lower end sony recievers (DB series I think) are supposed to be of so so quality and I know their HT packages include full range speakers(1 driver per speaker rather than seperate woofers and tweeters) and small subs(I think I saw one that only has a 6.5" sub wheras the onkyo comes with an 8"). Like I said, I'm just going by what I've heard and some of the Specs available on the web regarding the Sony. I highly reccomend the Onkyo though.

------------------
Dave My DVDs(Not updated anymore since DVD Tracker uncooly started charging). My Humble Home Theatre
"Hot Barbecue, TODAY!"
Old 01-04-01, 03:55 PM

check out audioreview.com
Old 01-04-01, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/006140.html

------------------
chess' DVDs chess' Web Site
chess' modest home theater:
61" Sony RPTV KP-61S75, Panasonic A-120U, Pioneer VSX-D509S, Energy e:XL-16 front and surround (birch), Energy e:XL-C, Sony SA-WM40
Old 01-04-01, 06:50 PM
Cool New Member

Don't compare Sony to Onkyo, Sony is clearly inferior and overpriced.
Old 01-05-01, 02:38 AM
Cool New Member

Does it seem this way to anyone else????

Does it seem that SONY and ONKYO use the same font for their logo, yet aren't the same company????

"It's like something out of that twighlighty show about that ZONE"
Old 01-05-01, 06:14 AM

Chess:

How do you like the Pioneer receiver? I am strongly considering that one as I saw it at Costco recently for $239.95...
Old 01-05-01, 09:14 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by nrcannes:
Don't compare Sony to Onkyo, Sony is clearly inferior and overpriced.
<HR>

Ignorance at it's best. I guess it would be futile to ask you to actually back that statement up with some facts. I love my 555ES and would not trade it for any other reciever in it's price range.

Old 01-05-01, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Stangman68:
Chess:

How do you like the Pioneer receiver? I am strongly considering that one as I saw it at Costco recently for $239.95...
<HR>

here is a recent discussion:

http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/006120.html

hope that helps. suffice it to say that i am happy with my purchase.

nrcannes,

i know you're kind of new, but we generally try to avoid making sweeping statements slamming a particular make of component. i assure you that there are many many members who are very pleased with their sony receivers. hell, they might even think that onkyo sucks but they generally have the courtesy to keep such narrowminded comments to themselves. no need to pee on anybody else's parade just so you can feel good about your onkyo.

i personally don't have much brand loyalty at all. i research each component individually and buy whatever model meets my needs or offers the most bang/buck. i don't own a sony receiver, but i would never scoff at the mere prospect of owning one. i have been most pleased with each and every sony product that i have EVER purchased, and suspect that their receivers are quite good as well.

lighten up, francis.

now as far as these HTIBs go, i don't think i've ever heard of much less heard an onkyo speaker. suspect at best.

------------------
chess' DVDs chess' Web Site
chess' modest home theater:
61" Sony RPTV KP-61S75, Panasonic A-120U, Pioneer VSX-D509S, Energy e:XL-16 front and surround (birch), Energy e:XL-C, Sony SA-WM40
Old 01-05-01, 11:40 AM
Cool New Member

I don't have brand loyalty at all. I buy what I think is best and I can afford. SONY has been making good high-end receivers for some time, but when it comes to their more "affordable" receivers they are quite bad. My friend has a SONY receiver which he got for X-Mas last year. He now needs a fan by it whenever he uses it becasue it overheats all the time and goes into "protection mode". That happened after he cranked it up to about 90 watts. I can also add that when I bought my first receiver and speakers, which were all SONY, the speakers (literally) blew up the next day (while listening to Cube's "We Be Clubin'"). It was one of those little $500 sets that you get a receiver and 5 satellites.

SONY has not put much effort into making their products worth much money (except WEGA/XBR TVs). I.E. Their Walkman MP3 player which goes for $500 and has less features than a Nomad that goes for $200.

My Onkyo, which I've had for about a years and a half now has NEVER gone into "protection" mode, and I max it out daily watching movies.

In short, SONY (to me) is a brand that bases it main business on prettiness of their systems rather than their quality (except WEGA, I luv my TV). If you can afford their High-end stuff hen its all good, but if you're on a budget then SONY is probably the worst brand to buy from.

[This message has been edited by nrcannes (edited January 05, 2001).]