Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What do you think of soundbars compared to speakers?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 03-13-20, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested to hear your thoughts about the benefits of modern day soundbars compared to the days of surround sound speakers and other inventions.

For me personally, growing up in the surround sound era, it was a neat little thing to have surround sound to show off to people when they came round to watch a movie or tv show. However, I think nowadays soundbars are my personal preference purely because of a lot less clutter and also multi functionality with the fact a lot of them can also play music etc through bluetooth.

What do you guys think? Do soundbars create enough of a room filling audio for your tastes?
Old 03-13-20, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 131 Posts
Re: What do you think of soundbars compared to speakers?

No, not in the least. If you can do speakers, do that. Soundbars are strictly for those in small spaces or don’t want to spend money on a full system. It’s not a bad thing, but soundbars will never replace or replicate sound from a full system.
Old 03-13-20, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

They have 5.1 surround bars. I just have a 2.1 because I like having a subwoofer. It can crank some sound but there's no way it will be as good as a speaker system.
Old 03-13-20, 08:57 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a pair of floor-standing speakers that sound great for our needs. I'm sure a soundbar would add another dimension to the sound but if I ever see another set of floor-standing speakers for cheap that I can plug into B, I'd be more tempted to do that. Of course I don't have a surround setup, only stereo, but we're pleased with the end result.
Old 03-14-20, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

It depends on your system and the room you place it in. Many people who purchased a 5-speaker surround system found there was too much clutter, especially with wires running across their living room to the rear speakers. For a dedicated viewing room the 5 speaker set-up is more ideal.

Sound bars are better for set-ups with limited space but even sound bars advertised as "5.1 Surround" don't really have the same effect because you can't escape the fact that all of the sound comes from the one central source.
Old 03-14-20, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Better than the built in speakers in the tv, yes. Better than an actual surround system? No way.
Old 03-18-20, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

A surround sound A/V system in the main TV room and soundbars for any bedroom TVs.
Old 03-18-20, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Iíll take the question one step further. What about the newer Dolby Atmos soundbar systems? They have the up firing center, sub, and two up firing rear speakers that connect to the sub. Almost clutter free if you put the sub back towards the seating. I only have a 2.1 soundbar system now and wonder if it would be worth the upgrade. Reviews have been mixed on electronics sites.
Old 03-19-20, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 131 Posts

It's basically just a regular soundbar with speakers positioned in different directions. Sometimes works, sometimes not. Best way to utilize it is if your room has a flat ceiling and mostly square room. Any angles or anything of the sort will change the bounce of the sound, losing its optimal sound direction. It's very YMMV.

Old 03-19-20, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That room pictured is almost exactly like my living room. Back in the day (mid90s) I had a great setup. A complete mish mosh of brands, Technics floorstanding front speakers, JBL center and sub, Sony rears, Pioneer receiver all hooked to a Sanyo Hi-fi vcr. That thing shook the whole house. Then I had a kid and sold it all. ☹️ Iíd love to have that again now that sheís older. I just donít see much of that these days. Everything seems to be the soundbar packages.
Old 03-19-20, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

My soundbar, some sort of Samsung, sounds fine for the small tv we have in the upstairs living room. It's where the kids watch their stuff, where we play music if we're cooking, etc. As a stereo setup, it's not too bad. I haven't tried it in surround mode, and I doubt it would be very good if I did try it. My large tv in the basement living room has a surround sound setup with multiple speakers.
Old 03-20-20, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 139 Likes on 104 Posts

My wife wants one tor reduce our AV gear set up since we're in a condo, but she's tested several and none of them sound as good as our B&W speakers so they always go back.
Old 03-24-20, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are soundbars and there are sound bars. How much do you want to spend???? $$$$$$ Google "Soundbar Reviews."

I had someone criticize me on my Klipisch main speakers for higher tone quality. I know an independent reviewer tested them and mentioned it had a more treble quality. Well.......did the tester have it hooked up in a surround sound system, for example?? What he didn't realize is that my AVR has tone control. Independent pro reviews can be contradictory and you have to decide for yourself and how much money do you want to spend. $$$$

Look for speaker/soundbar reviews that are objective for YOUR particular environment.........and you decide. Good luck and let us know what you decided on.
I can't post any links for you as have to like 100 posts that will allow me to do....something like that. Same for my signature. I think this website was formally, highdefinition.com as directed me to this forum, the other day.
Old 05-17-20, 01:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

No doubt, soundbars are easy to install and pricing is also affordable but my vote is for speakers. My friend purchased soundbar for her home theatre and when we visited bass was weak and it wasn't giving right impact for her large room. Even sometimes, small speakers for big living rooms also don't work. I have gone through from this kind of situations. As we are upgrading our home theatre for summers and planning to go with passive pa speakers like these. We picked them because with passive ones we would able to use them for home events and parties. My kids always ask to play music with big speakers. Probably, we will have to do some modifications if we want to use them for both home theatre and external use. Let's see it works with subwoofer and amplifier.

By the way, if you have small space and budget then soundbar could also be a good option. If you are at before purchase condition then you can read this article which offers a complete comparison between speakers and soundboard.
Old 05-27-20, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Barth View Post
Iíll take the question one step further. What about the newer Dolby Atmos soundbar systems? They have the up firing center, sub, and two up firing rear speakers that connect to the sub. Almost clutter free if you put the sub back towards the seating. I only have a 2.1 soundbar system now and wonder if it would be worth the upgrade. Reviews have been mixed on electronics sites.
Soundbars suck enough in general, but for a soundbar to claim an "Atmos" experience is a fucking joke. Please don't waste your money on something like that. A decent AV receiver and 2 speakers will sound far better. You can get an Atmos ready AV receiver and build your speaker set over time if needed.

If you want to save some cash and don't mind a refurbished product with a factory warranty, check out https://www.accessories4less.com. I've had great experiences ordering various things from there.
The following 2 users liked this post by T-bone22:
Barth (05-28-20), Why So Blu? (05-27-20)
Old 05-27-20, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 135 Likes on 121 Posts

Indeed. Soundbars are bullshit.