Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need help connecting receiver to pc!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need help connecting receiver to pc!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-01, 08:53 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DOes anyone here have their pc hooked up to a receiver? I am thinking of going this route rather than buying regular multimedia speakers. Can you please tell me exactly how this is done? which outputs to what inputs?
I have an SBLive soundcard with the daughterboard (if that matters). Thanks for the help.
Reply here or send replies to [email protected]
Old 01-04-01, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I run both my PC and laptop to my Onkyo 575X receiver.

Different SBLive soundcards have different outputs, so we might need a little more information. Hopefully, you have at least one type of digital output, optical (toslink) or coaxial. These might be called SPDIF. Just run the appropriate cable to the same digital input on your receiver.
You will probably have to tell your computer to send all of the sound out the digital port.
If you have a DVD-Rom you can now get DD or DTS on your movies, considering you have an receiver that can handle it.
Can you give us any more information?
Old 01-04-01, 01:31 AM

Yes you can! It is easily done. I have my PC hooked up to my reciever via optical output from my $40 dollar Guillemot Fortissimo to my Kenwood VR-2080. Sound is provided by my Energy Take 5's. MP3's never sounded better!!!

With your setup, you have two options. You can connect by using a minijack-to-RCA stereo convertor cable and connect with analog connections, or you can use the SBLive SPDIF connection to connect to your reciever via digital coax. I am going to take a guess that you have the original full version SBlive card with the digital I/O daughter card. If this is the case, just buy a digital coax cable ($10) and run it to your reciever. Once done, go into the SBlive's options and enable digital output and whollah!!!

Keep in mind, it is better to output digitally (the second method I mentioned). Not only can you now get DTS/DD5.1 digital sound from your computer to your reciever, but for MP3 playback digital output from your soundcard is way better. A PC is a very noisy place to do digital to ananlog conversion (DAC).