Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Is this a good time to buy a receiver?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-20, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Speaking of receivers... I've held off getting a larger 4k TV for my living room until the new standards are solidified (so sometime this year or next). But my receiver doesn't do HDR pass through or any of that, so I have to replace it. Is this a good time to buy, or are there going to be compatibility issues with HDMI 2.1 and should I just wait until that's commonplace?
Old 01-09-20, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Is this a good time to buy a receiver?

As more and more people go with soundbars receivers are becoming a little passe (not that I would ever go that route). But none of the major brands should have issues with 2.1 (Sony, Onkyo, Pioneer, Yamaha, etc.).
Old 01-09-20, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have a soundbar for the bedroom where I'm not going to put a full setup, but I figured people that invest in a living room setup still get receivers? Or do they get a soundbar and just forego actual surround sound?
Old 01-09-20, 09:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Tough one there Fujishig. At the CES, LG and Samsung have announced some new models that will have HDMI 2.1. So new receivers this year and/or next will probably have 2.1 as well. But honestly, I’m not sure what content you’ll need 2.1 for, other than 120 fps stuff. But pretty much every receiver on the market now (2018 and later) will keep you future proofed for a few years. But if you’re just looking to have a good surround system, any good receiver on the market now will fill 90%-100% of your needs.

But yes, if you plan on putting in a full surround sound, get a good receiver for it.
Old 01-09-20, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Before we moved to our new house, I was using a receiver with two fronts, a center, and a sub in our livingroom. When we moved, I didn't really want to set it up like that again, so I have a Yamaha soundbar with our sub hooked up to it and it sounds great. Sure, it's not as good as a 5.1 or 7.1 setup, but it does a pretty good job since it's not our main viewing area either.
Old 01-10-20, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have BD or 4K player with 2 HDMI out - you can send one out to your receiver and one out to your TV. That should for now solve the bypass issue.

Old 01-10-20, 08:27 AM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

As soon as you buy your receiver, the next new technology will come out in six months. That's why my top-of-the-line receiver doesn't have bluetooth. Oy, I wish it had bluetooth. :/
Old 02-18-20, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Picked up a Q90 soundbar to replace my dead Onkyo.

I have to say, I'm very impressed with output and the minimal setup.
Old 02-18-20, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

My wife would love to ditch our receiver and speakers for a space-saving soundbar, but every one she orders online and tries out sounds like crap and she sends it right back.
Also, what we really need is a receiver with, like, 10 HDMI inputs for all our games and stuff. Is there anything out now that can do that?
Old 02-18-20, 04:50 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Ha, if your wife is comparing a dedicated setup sound system to a soundbar, she’ll be disappointed every time. No soundbar fully replicates that kind of sound. Soundbars are solely for those utilizing a confined space, and usually have not heard a full home sound system like your setup.

Most HDMI inputs I’ve seen in a receiver is around 5. However, the top of the line ones - like the Denon 13 channel 8500 which sells for $3k - has 8 inputs. The usual for most receivers is around 4 or 5.
The following users liked this post:
Alan Smithee (02-24-20)
Old 02-18-20, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by E Unit
Ha, if your wife is comparing a dedicated setup sound system to a soundbar, she’ll be disappointed every time. No soundbar fully replicates that kind of sound. Soundbars are solely for those utilizing a confined space, and usually have not heard a full home sound system like your setup.

Most HDMI inputs I’ve seen in a receiver is around 5. However, the top of the line ones - like the Denon 13 channel 8500 which sells for $3k - has 8 inputs. The usual for most receivers is around 4 or 5.
I'd say the Q90R does a pretty good job of coming close to a full sound system. Not sure about those other soundbars.
Old 02-19-20, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The main problem I've seen with soundbars is that for most setups, you're directing the input to the TV and then the TV has an optical (or HDMI?) out to the soundbar, and at least for the tvs I have that only outputs stereo. Otherwise, you'll need a soundbar that can accept multiple inputs AND devices that can output video and audio separately.
Old 02-19-20, 08:38 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I bought a LG SL6Y soundbar on sale with the matching rear speakers for my family room TV. Considering the MSRP of the package (around $600, but I paid half that), it is just satisfactory. It can no way touch the quality of my 7.1 home theater. The soundbar comes with a wireless woofer, but don't expect any bass response under 200 hz like a true subwoofer would perform, and the tiny wireless rears sound like the rears used in the early 90s in prologic setups, nothing like my 4 full range rear speakers in my 7.1 setup, just more for ambiance.

That said, my 55" OLED C6 had really bad built in speakers and the soundbar addressed that problem, and I now get a nice full sound for TV and movies in that space.
Old 02-19-20, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
My wife would love to ditch our receiver and speakers for a space-saving soundbar, but every one she orders online and tries out sounds like crap and she sends it right back.
Also, what we really need is a receiver with, like, 10 HDMI inputs for all our games and stuff. Is there anything out now that can do that?
Maybe an HDMI switcher for any inputs that aren't lag sensitive? Then you can have one receiver input for 3 or 4 components, and there are switchers that are remote controlled.
Old 02-19-20, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
The main problem I've seen with soundbars is that for most setups, you're directing the input to the TV and then the TV has an optical (or HDMI?) out to the soundbar, and at least for the tvs I have that only outputs stereo. Otherwise, you'll need a soundbar that can accept multiple inputs AND devices that can output video and audio separately.
So with my Sammy I'm using the ARC connection between the the two ( tv + soundbar) which allows me to toggle my audio output between the soundbar or tv when viewing something onscreen. Seems to work flawlessly.
Old 02-19-20, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit

She's obsessed with reducing "clutter". She'd love to get rid of the entire DVD and CD collection and watch it all on streaming, same with books.

But there's times when she's working at home and wants her music playing through the sound system and the soundbars simply don't measure up.
She's tried a couple of times, but nobody can make one that doesn't sound muddy to her (and me).
Old 06-17-20, 08:22 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have plans to upgrade your speakers soon then for sure, it is the right time to buy AV receivers. With upgraded speakers, including streaming audio and HDMI, you can get better results with the new receiver. Though home theatre receivers could be a great option but as an audiophile, I consider these stereo receivers a good alternate with impressive sound quality. Actually, I saw them at my friend's home, and their sound quality was very Hi-Fi.

Probably, you can also plug stereo receiver with your smart TV, PlayStation or Blu-Ray player because it includes video source. By the way, if you want receiver only for watching videos and movies etc. then no doubt, AV receivers are also enough good. You can consider this guide before purchasing receivers for home theatre.