Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Filmmaker's Mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-19, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts
Re: Filmmaker's Mode

I see James Cameron’s face somewhere in there. Shouldn’t he be busy prepping my 4K versions of The Abyss and True Lies instead? So I can watch those in Filmmaker’s mode.
Old 08-31-19, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
I see James Cameron’s face somewhere in there. Shouldn’t he be busy prepping my 4K versions of The Abyss and True Lies instead? So I can watch those in Filmmaker’s mode.
LOL, good point.
I've given up on those 2.
When Amazon has them for pre-order, I'll believe it then.
Old 09-02-19, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
True. This is just a feature for the high end user.

I don't know how this "Filmaker Mode" is going to be adopted. Especially when the picture and technology of each set is different. What you see on a LG OLED will be different than a Panasonic OLED etc etc so who's to say how Filmmaker mode is really supposed to look?
That's exactly the point. To create a uniform standard for movies across different display companies. This is mostly about setting things like maximum nit range, gamma and other esoteric video settings that Joe Sixpack doesn't normally touch.
Old 09-16-19, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, this is an interesting POV:

Barry Sonnenfeld, director of the "Men in Black" series, "Get Shorty" and most recently Netflix's "Series of Unfortunate Events", says 8K is "only good for sports" and High Dynamic Range (HDR) is "stupid" and "a waste."

Sonnenfeld speaking at the CEDIA Expo called for a "filmmaker mode" on all TVs that can turn off unwanted HDR. He says Netflix's insistence everything be shot in HDR altered the cinematography on "Series of Unfortunate Events" to his disliking.

Sonnenfeld said Netflix and other streaming services feel HDR makes them appear "next level" from a technology perspective, according to the article, then conceded that "HDR is the future... but it shouldn't be. It's great for watching sports, like hockey, but nothing else... "

He said today's cinematographers are using older lenses and filters on digital cameras to make them look like they weren't shot with a 4K or 8K camera. "The problem with 8K and even 4K is that all it is doing is bringing us closer to a video game aesthetic. It just looks more and more 'not real.' I can't watch any Marvel movies because none of the visual effects look real."
Old 09-16-19, 10:24 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Can’t say I agree, and now we’re getting into a discussion about what looks “real” or not, whatever that means today.
Old 09-16-19, 11:05 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Yep, ANY setting the TV changes to, and people are going to bitch about it that it's wrong. This is a massive waste of time. Better to do a 3 minute YouTube video about the basics and leave it at that.
Old 09-16-19, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't agree with Sonnenfeld at all.
4K and HDR are wonderful advancements.

I don't know what the hell a "video game aesthetic" means.

If filmmakers are AFRAID to use new tools, they should retire to their Beverly Hills mansion and keep their opinions to themselves.

There is a reason why this pic always gets a laugh...