Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

4K TV Recommendations

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

4K TV Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-21, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts
Re: 4K TV Recommendations

Best Buy just added the Hisense 65U6GR - 65" Class U6G Series Quantum ULED 4K UHD Smart Roku TV to their site for $499.99. You should notice this is the Roku model not the Android one which sales for $649.99
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisense...?skuId=6485674
Old 11-29-21, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by kahuna
Best Buy just added the Hisense 65U6GR - 65" Class U6G Series Quantum ULED 4K UHD Smart Roku TV to their site for $499.99. You should notice this is the Roku model not the Android one which sales for $649.99
Costco also has this set also @ $500 today only and it is fairly new. I believe BB just started carrying it this week.
I was about to order one from Costco but it is not the same as the 65U6G ($650) that Rtings gives an overall 8.1.
Rtings has received the 65U6GR but has not tested it yet. Browsing some feedback on this set on other forums,etc. It seems to be not the same build as the 65U6G and has fewer custom settings to calibrate the picture. I'm going to wait until it gets some more reviews before buying. But I trust the reviews over how it looks in-store and would have no problem buying with Costco 90 day return policy. Even Walmart and Amazon have fairly good return policies not sure about other stores.

I'm looking at the VIZIO 65" Class - Mq7-Series ($600) at Costco that is rated fairly high for the price.
But when looking at TV sets over the weekend I was not impressed with this set picture compared to 4 or 5 other 65" sets they had on display and some owners complain about software updates. But it gets good reviews at a few sites plus most members on forums/Reddit say it is a good set for price.

I'll mostly buy again from Costco. I like their 90 day return policy + when u use your Costco CC you get an extended warranty plus cash back.
I still own 3 60" plasmas I bought from Costco years ago and they still work and look great.
But want to own a 4k , but doing research is a projected and PIA.
Old 11-30-21, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JoeySeven
Costco also has this set also @ $500 today only and it is fairly new. I believe BB just started carrying it this week.
I was about to order one from Costco but it is not the same as the 65U6G ($650) that Rtings gives an overall 8.1.
Rtings has received the 65U6GR but has not tested it yet. Browsing some feedback on this set on other forums,etc. It seems to be not the same build as the 65U6G and has fewer custom settings to calibrate the picture. I'm going to wait until it gets some more reviews before buying. But I trust the reviews over how it looks in-store and would have no problem buying with Costco 90 day return policy. Even Walmart and Amazon have fairly good return policies not sure about other stores..
Well that price did not last long at BB. BB said this was just a Cyber Monday price.

Last edited by kahuna; 11-30-21 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-30-21, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

What would you guys rather have? A 65” Oled or a 85” led. That would be my plan for next year’s BF. (And it would be a Sony).
Old 12-01-21, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
What would you guys rather have? A 65” Oled or a 85” led. That would be my plan for next year’s BF. (And it would be a Sony).
OLED hands down. Save a bit more for a 77” OLED 🤟
The following 2 users liked this post by T-bone22:
Dan (12-01-21), davidlynchfan (12-01-21)
Old 12-01-21, 01:25 PM

Yeah, i nearly pulled the trig on the 65” A8h for 1499 but decided to chillout instead.
Old 12-02-21, 05:59 AM

So, it’s probably best to watch 1.78:1-1.85:1 aspect ratio type of movies for the first 100 hours or so with an OLED, right?
Old 12-02-21, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Rtings has their review out for insiders on the Hisense 65U6GR and will release it to everyone else next week.

The Costco I went by had the Hisense 65" Class - R7G5 in stock, hopefully they also get this one in store.
7.8 mixed use score vs 8.1 for the u6g.

"The U6G is definitely the better overall TV. Among other things, it has better uniformity, response times, out-of-the-box color accuracy, and can reproduce sound more clearly. Both TVs have similar contrast and SDR brightness though!"
Old 12-04-21, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BB dropped the price back down to $499.99 (DOTD). Unfortunately for me not available in my area or delivery from BB.
Old 12-13-21, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Wanted a TV that was nice but not too nice for an apartment that will likely be moved out of in the near-ish future so got a Samsung 55-Inch Class QLED Q70A Series ($849 AMZN). Looks good so far.

https://smile.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-55-...dp/B08WFNSM75/
Old 02-12-22, 01:35 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Update on my purchase: After no issues whatsoever with the exception of the local dimming that it does on black screens, my TV decided this morning to add a dark spot across the screen

Talked to Best Buy Totaltech and they are coming to see it on the 22nd, most likely authorizing a return for a new one. I’m going to see if I can upgrade to the QN90A in the process. It got rave reviews as the best QLED
Old 02-13-22, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Update on my purchase: After no issues whatsoever with the exception of the local dimming that it does on black screens, my TV decided this morning to add a dark spot across the screen

Talked to Best Buy Totaltech and they are coming to see it on the 22nd, most likely authorizing a return for a new one. I’m going to see if I can upgrade to the QN90A in the process. It got rave reviews as the best QLED
I read other reviews about the dark spots on their Samsung TV's also. Good thing you paid for the Best Buy Total Tech. Hope they let you upgrade to the QN90A. Which is their top of the line 4K LED TV.

Last edited by kahuna; 02-14-22 at 12:46 AM.
Old 02-13-22, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

FYI: As I posted at length in other threads, the Sony X85J does not play well with HDMI 1. Intermittent blank screen, purple & white static screens on pushing play. Paired with Oppo 95. Great picture on streaming , USB stick & cable. I have heard the problem doesn't occur with the 105 or 205. I spent 2 hours on the phone troubleshooting with Sony Corporate USA the other day. Oppo also says there is a communication issue between the 2. Once it fully handshakes, the blu & dvd picture is also excellent EXCEPT for the intermittent black-outs. Also important to turn "HDMI CEC" off on the Oppo or it may fry the tv.

I do wish I would have gad this information before purchase.
Old 04-04-22, 08:52 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I read other reviews about the dark spots on their Samsung TV's also. Good thing you paid for the Best Buy Total Tech. Hope they let you upgrade to the QN90A. Which is their top of the line 4K LED TV.
Update: Best Buy allowed me to return the Q80 and upgrade to the QN90. Just had to pay the price difference which I didn't mind. So far, the QN90 is excellent. No issues whatsoever and it looks great for video games, sporting events and movies.
Old 04-04-22, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Update: Best Buy allowed me to return the Q80 and upgrade to the QN90. Just had to pay the price difference which I didn't mind. So far, the QN90 is excellent. No issues whatsoever and it looks great for video games, sporting events and movies.
That's great news. The new 2022 Samsung QN90B Neo QLED 4K Smart TV's have been released. There are a number of videos on YouTube. Reviews are very positive. Of course the 65" ($2599.99) & other sizes are full retail price compared to what last years QN90A are going for. Even the QN85B are getting great reviews.
Old 04-05-22, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

My Sony KD-55X85J has a gorgeous picture, but has several incompatibilities with all versions of HDMI 1. (Intermittent blank screen lasting about 2 seconds, artifacts when inserting the disc, & audio can not be sent over HDMI from the Oppo to the Sony). If all of your devices are HDMI 2.x, I would recommend the KD-55X85J.

It really irritates me that the industry has not made this issue public. I have a $1,000 blu ray player that works poorly with the Sony. Both companies (Oppo & Sony) have said it's a compatibility issue with HDMI 1.x & 2.x. If I had known this I would have gone pawn shopping when I had to get a new set.

It isn't the Sony; Streaming, files on USB & Cable look gorgeous (for that matter so does the Oppo when the screen doesn't go blank).
Old 08-22-22, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Best Buy has the Sony - 75" Class X80J Series LED 4K UHD Smart Google TV for $629.99
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-75...ductVariations
Old 08-24-22, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Can anyone recommend a good 4K projector that isn't $4K
Old 09-12-22, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Can anyone recommend a good 4K projector that isn't $4K
Aren't most $4K 4K projectors incapable of native 4K?
Old 09-13-22, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Best Buy has the Sony - 75" Class X80J Series LED 4K UHD Smart Google TV for $629.99
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-75...ductVariations
Forgot about this post. Best Buy has dropped the price of the Sony KD75X80J to $549.99. But it's OOS. Only place you might be able to find one. Is at your local BB store.
Old 09-26-22, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
Thanks! I didn't want to send the PS5 thread off topic anymore though I thought I'd move my answer to here.

This isn't just a brief sale, right? The price drop looks to be at all sellers and not tied in with a particular advertised sale. Looking at the camelcamelcamel tracking for the LG C1's, they had a big drop in price last September too. And there wasn't a big Black Friday deal, or another big price drop until the following spring (when the next year's model, the C2, came out).

This is tempting. I think this is the model I want. This is what I wrote in the PS5 thread:
I have to start thinking about upgrading my tv to 4K. The one I have is still working fine ... a 67" Samsung 1080p DLP from about 15 years ago (which I paid a pretty penny for when I bought it). But now I have a device that can do 4K, and I've seen how nice the display of 4K tvs is (even when not showing 4K content). I've been itching to upgrade to 4K for a while and kind of had "I'll do it when I get a PS5" in my mind. I'll want something at least as big as what I have and know the cheaper brands/models are under $1000. Though what I'm really thinking about is spending more for a nice OLED. It doesn't have to be right now, but before the end of the year. I can wait until a good time for deals. Would that be Black Friday week (or are 4K tvs something that gets Labor Day sales too)?
So many places say the OLEDs are fantastic. For those that have one, is the brightness issue a thing? I don't watch tv with sunlight shining on the screen, although most of my viewing is with ambient room lighting (though I'll darken things up for a movie).

Something else that I'll have to decide is who to buy my tv from. It's just me at my house and I don't have a truck, so I'll have to depend upon shipping and set up. I'll need to have my old tv taken away. Most places that ship don't seem to do the takeaway part (although I see Best Buy does). Although there are places that look like they'll haul something away for about $100 or so. I'm not a Costco member, but there's one about 25 minutes drive away.
Old 09-27-22, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
Thanks! I didn't want to send the PS5 thread off topic anymore though I thought I'd move my answer to here.

This isn't just a brief sale, right? The price drop looks to be at all sellers and not tied in with a particular advertised sale. Looking at the camelcamelcamel tracking for the LG C1's, they had a big drop in price last September too. And there wasn't a big Black Friday deal, or another big price drop until the following spring (when the next year's model, the C2, came out).

This is tempting. I think this is the model I want. This is what I wrote in the PS5 thread:

So many places say the OLEDs are fantastic. For those that have one, is the brightness issue a thing? I don't watch tv with sunlight shining on the screen, although most of my viewing is with ambient room lighting (though I'll darken things up for a movie).

Something else that I'll have to decide is who to buy my tv from. It's just me at my house and I don't have a truck, so I'll have to depend upon shipping and set up. I'll need to have my old tv taken away. Most places that ship don't seem to do the takeaway part (although I see Best Buy does). Although there are places that look like they'll haul something away for about $100 or so. I'm not a Costco member, but there's one about 25 minutes drive away.
OLED will blow you away coming from that TV. Definitely go for it. Brightness is not an issue in a normal lit room and dark room viewing is stunning.

I put together my 65” by myself, but I paid the extra for setup from Best Buy for my 77” that I got later. I would not risk trying putting that together myself. It was well worth it, they had it put together and in place in no time and even moved my 65” into the bedroom for me.
Old 09-27-22, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

New Low for Samsung Employment Discount: 65" Samsung S95B OLED 4K Smart TV (2022) $1399.99 and 55" for $1199.99.
  • 65" S95B OLED 4K Smart TV (2022 Model, QN65S95BAFXZA) on sale for$1,399.99 (Previous low $1575.99). Shipping is free.
  • 55" S95B OLED 4K Smart TV (2022 Model, QN55S95BAFXZA) on sale for $1,119.99 (Previous low 1,259.99). Shipping is free.
Old 09-27-22, 08:25 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
The price drops sometimes are temporary, but looking at the price history of this model, it's been a steady monthly drop. I would think a early November price drop going through Black Friday weekend is likely, then maybe a pop back up to milk late holiday shoppers, then another discount early January for the football playoffs. That's what I've seen over many years.

Just about every electronics manufacturer now price fixes their products across all sellers. This started maybe 10 years ago, before that you could save ordering online or going through discount retailers, or just plain haggling, but I guess the big box stores complained, and now every fixes their prices. Back in the olden days, it was rare to see price fixing, that you thought it was illegal (how come Bose speakers are the same price everywhere was always a complaint).

But the BuyDig link is offering a gift card of roughly 10% cash back and extra warranty which adds value. If I still wanted to buy locally, I'm sure Abt Electronics would price match that deal, but I'm not sure about Best Buy, you'd have to find a cooperative manager.

I love my OLED TV, my only complaint is that I went with the 55" as the 65" was another $1000 more, and I couldn't rationalize that difference. I bought the last of the 3D models, so I didn't really have a choice to wait for deep discounts.
Old 09-28-22, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

But the BuyDig link is offering a gift card of roughly 10% cash back and extra warranty which adds value. If I still wanted to buy locally, I'm sure Abt Electronics would price match that deal, but I'm not sure about Best Buy, you'd have to find a cooperative manager.
I take it you've ordered from BuyDig and had a positive experience? If so, do they just drop off the tv in a giant box outside your house? All the extras BuyDig includes look great. But I might prefer to pay a little more to have the tv unboxed and placed where it's going to be in my house. Although I certainly don't need all the setup options I see places like Best Buy offer for stuff like plugging it in and setting up accounts and apps.

I love my OLED TV, my only complaint is that I went with the 55" as the 65" was another $1000 more, and I couldn't rationalize that difference. I bought the last of the 3D models, so I didn't really have a choice to wait for deep discounts.
That's the thing you always hear about size ... get the biggest tv that can fit in your space and you can afford, because if you don't you'll find yourself wishing you went bigger It's amazing how quickly you get used to a huge screen, even if coming from something a lot smaller.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.