DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Smart TV USB Port?

Old 03-03-19, 07:15 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,584
Smart TV USB Port?

Will it work without an internet connection if you are using a USB stick ,etc. ?

dvd-4-life is offline  
Old 03-03-19, 11:45 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 17,484
Re: Smart TV USB Port?

I'm curious why it needs an internet connection for the USB stick to work?

I put a few files on a USB stick and inserted it into my TV and it worked fine. I have never tried it before since I put USB sticks in my Blu-ray player instead.

Worked flawlessly. No internet connection required.
Sonic is offline  
Old 03-04-19, 10:50 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
kahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 4,957
Re: Smart TV USB Port?

Only problem I ever had was the type of file I was trying to play on the USB stick. On my Samsung 1080p tv it will not play
H265 files. But when I gave it to a friend to try on his 4K TV it played them with no problems.
kahuna is offline  
Old 03-04-19, 10:52 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
E Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Behind Wolf in the Situation Room
Posts: 12,472
Re: Smart TV USB Port?

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Will it work without an internet connection if you are using a USB stick ,etc. ?
You don't need an internet connection for a USB to work. Just check with the TV manual to see which kind of file types it can play so you can convert accordingly.
E Unit is offline  
Old 03-04-19, 02:17 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,584
Re: Smart TV USB Port?

I have music stored on an Toshiba external HDD so how does it acquire the CD artwork if there is no internet connection?

If I play it with a PC media player it takes some time to find the art work so I am guessing it's the same with a Smart TV and would need the internet but it would still play but it would be missing certain features.
dvd-4-life is offline  
Old 03-04-19, 05:27 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 17,484
Re: Smart TV USB Port?

Bro stick it in already and give it a shot stick it in! Do it bro put it in.
Sonic is offline  
Old 03-05-19, 01:14 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
JZ1276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,518
Re: Smart TV USB Port?

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
I have music stored on an Toshiba external HDD so how does it acquire the CD artwork if there is no internet connection?

If I play it with a PC media player it takes some time to find the art work so I am guessing it's the same with a Smart TV and would need the internet but it would still play but it would be missing certain features.
The artwork is probably embedded in the mp3/flac tag.
JZ1276 is offline  
Old 03-05-19, 02:42 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 30,348
Re: Smart TV USB Port?

Originally Posted by kahuna View Post
Only problem I ever had was the type of file I was trying to play on the USB stick. On my Samsung 1080p tv it will not play
H265 files. But when I gave it to a friend to try on his 4K TV it played them with no problems.
Yeah, most standard blu-ray and 1080p tvs canít decode 265/HEVC files. Theyíre too processor intensive for older hardware to handle.

Iíll occasionally run into some files my blu-ray player canít handle; not sure if itís the video/audio codecs, or something else. My Sony blu-ray player doesnít play audio for files that have 640kbps audio, which is kind of a pain in the ass.
Josh-da-man is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.