Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

My Power Went Out Last Night....... And It Took My Oppo With It

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

My Power Went Out Last Night....... And It Took My Oppo With It

Old 12-22-18, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: My Power Went Out Last Night....... And It Took My Oppo With It

Was that at the actual UPS depot, or a franchise UPS Store? I once asked for the price at a UPS Store, and the quote was much more expensive than the shipping cost. I went elsewhere.
Old 12-22-18, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo View Post
I spoke with a second tech who also said it wasn't worth the risk & that there was no way to definitively test the kit. Common sense says it shouldn't be damaged, but I have significant $'s into just the repair & shipping.

Grand total for the outgoing shipping to Oppo, repair & replacement region free circuit board was $347. Problem was a blown power circuit board.

Ironically the most expensive part was shipping from me to Oppo by UPS $145.

Breakdown:
UPS: $145
Repair AND return shipping $119
Replacement region free board (2 techs told me not to risk plugging the old one back in) $83

I will NEVER use UPS again. $145 is a major rip off (15 pounds + packing it)

The unit should be here Wednesday if the signature required doesn't cross me up.

Not sure when the region free board will arrive, but I can go a week or 2 without playing UK blu & dvd's.
I still disagree with this, as it's just a logic board. But it's your money, and you should do whatever you're comfortable with.

Enjoy your player!
Old 12-25-18, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Glad you got your player fixed, but if you had used the regular USPS, shipping probably would only have been $30-40. Hell, you might have even been able to use a Priority Mail flat rate box and it would have cost even less.

I'd also say you were far too conservative in buying another region-free board. I would not have paid the $83+shipping and instead have unplugged the old board before sending the unit in for repair. The possible upside is now you probably have two perfectly good boards, and you might try selling the old one to recoup the cost you paid for the new one.
Old 12-26-18, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Glad you got your player fixed, but if you had used the regular USPS, shipping probably would only have been $30-40. Hell, you might have even been able to use a Priority Mail flat rate box and it would have cost even less.

I'd also say you were far too conservative in buying another region-free board. I would not have paid the $83+shipping and instead have unplugged the old board before sending the unit in for repair. The possible upside is now you probably have two perfectly good boards, and you might try selling the old one to recoup the cost you paid for the new one.
Re UPS: What is the difference between "regular UPS" & the UPS store"?

Re the board, 2 techs told me that if it was their unit, they wouldn't risk it possibly blowing up the Oppo (I did remove the board before shipping to Oppo). I may put the old board up on ebay with a full explanation & see what I get for it.
Old 12-26-18, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the scenario with your region free board damaging your player is “possible but unlikely.”

If the board was damaged, I think it would probably just be fried and not work, but with electronics there’s always an outside chance it could do something.

Power surges and, especially, lightning strikes can do some weird things to electronics.
Old 12-26-18, 08:00 PM

That was the 2 tech's point: with as much as I have into this, it wasn't worth taking the risk; & that without a schematic for the region free board, there was no way to definitively test it.

My personal guess is it probably still works perfectly, but I'll likely never know.

Got both the Oppo & the new new board today; I'm too tired to do the wiring (it's a really tight space), but looking forward to having it up very soon & praying that Oppo remembered not to update the firmware!
Old 12-27-18, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re UPS: What is the difference between "regular UPS" & the UPS store"?
USPS = "United States Postal Service," a governmental agency. ie, "the US mail".

UPS = "United Parcel Service" a totally seperate, for profit, commercial entity that has no relation whatever with the USPS.

UPS charges a lot more for shipping & packaging than the USPS does, being entirely for profit...

Good idea on putting your board up on Ebay. Good luck.
Old 12-27-18, 01:36 AM

I'm aware of "USPS". I misread your original post as stating that there were 2 flavors of "UPS".
Old 12-29-18, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He might have been referring to actual "UPS Stores", which are franchises, and sometimes charge more than UPS's normal rates, especially when it comes to packing, etc. So many people are kind of clueless when it comes to packing stuff in order to ship, and UPS Stores really take advantage of this and really soak them. I used to rent a box at the local UPS store, and saw this all the time when I was picking up my mail (then one year when I tried to renew my box, they jacked up the price by three times, and I told them to fuck off )

Glad you got your Oppo working, good luck!
Old 12-29-18, 07:24 PM

That's what someone else also told me. "Clueless" with secure packing does describe me, I am the world's least mechanically inclined person (lol).

A few years back, I used Fed Ex's packing service, and at least at the time they were quite inexpensive, so this really took me by surprise.

Good news, is I set up the 95 today with the new region free it, & all is back to normal.

If anyone with a 93 or 95 wants to risk trying my old kit, please send an offer by PM. It may or may not work. External install is a breeze, as is use. I suspect it works as the only thing that was bad in the 95 was the power supply board (i.e. it wasn't fried), but as I spent $90 on a new one, I wasn't willing to take the risk.

I did discover it was in a surge protected outlet on a $150 (1990's $'s) Adcom 515. That is SAD.
Old 12-29-18, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's what someone else also told me. "Clueless" with secure packing does describe me, I am the world's least mechanically inclined person (lol).
Heh, actually I'm completely useless with most things that involve a mechanical inclination so I completely relate, but for some reason I'm good at packing things for shipping. Must be from two decades of selling shit on ebay.

Glad to hear you're region free again.
Old 12-29-18, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Heh, actually I'm completely useless with most things that involve a mechanical inclination so I completely relate, but for some reason I'm good at packing things for shipping. Must be from two decades of selling shit on ebay.

Glad to hear you're region free again.
I have the ebay background also, but I only sold cd's, dvd, & blu. At one time I did sell some set top dvd recorders; fortunately I acquired them factory direct & already packed. It was so many years ago, I have no memory of how we shipped them.
Old 12-29-18, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would have put all that money towards a newer 203 or something. The 95 was a good machine when it came out but it has been since surpassed.

I'm glad you got your machine back and working. I would have waited until after Christmas. UPS jacks rates up in the month of December since it's the heaviest volume month for packages.
Old 12-29-18, 09:33 PM

Only the 95 plays SACD ISO's. Sony made them remove that feature in 1/12. I'm also just as much into the audio as the video; & 205's are selling for a bloody fortune now that they're gone.
Old 12-29-18, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You forgot the .iso playback (or was that only on the 83?)

I think the 203 is the only player that can detect and properly play back dual-stream mkvs and .m2ts files with the Dolby Vision layer. One of the only reasons to buy a 203 at this point.

Or, go for 10 regular 4k blu-ray standalone players, save 9 for backups, for the same cost expediture as one 203... and suffer the loss of the Dolby Vision layer in standalone .m2ts files.
Old 12-30-18, 12:04 AM

I honestly don't have the best eye site at this point (Age, successful surgery for a detached retina, cataracts).

Not to sound like an idiot, but I don't know what Dolby Vision is.

While I can definitely tell the difference between a well mastered blu as compared to a dvd (as an example) the only video features the 95 is lacking that really impact me is no H265 support (it does H264), & the older Firmware has caused issues with a whopping 2 blu-rays in 7 years.
Old 12-31-18, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Only the 95 plays SACD ISO's. Sony made them remove that feature in 1/12. I'm also just as much into the audio as the video; & 205's are selling for a bloody fortune now that they're gone.
Understood. Yeah, losing that feature was a shame. I've kept my SACDs around instead of converting to a server set-up.

You can have my 205 for the bargain price of $3600.
Old 12-31-18, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by phantomstranger View Post
understood. Yeah, losing that feature was a shame. I've kept my sacds around instead of converting to a server set-up.

You can have my 205 for the bargain price of $3600.
lol!
Old 01-02-19, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Wish I'd seen this thread sooner- I SERIOUSLY doubt trying your region-free add-on would damage the player especially if you have it plugged into the back- the worst thing that's likely to happen is that it just wouldn't be able to do multi-region anymore if it's damaged, but won't harm the player. (I've found when installing and re-installing these, you have to reset the player back to its factory defaults and such. Just plugging it in doesn't always work.)

I got my 203 about 2 years ago but still have my BDP-93 as a backup, plus it will get around Cinavia and play home-made SACDs I got from my friend that the 203 won't play. It had a problem recognizing some discs for a while but I opened it up and fixed it by spreading WD-40 on the rails the laser rides on, now it's fine. While it was open I also installed its region-free mod internally, allowing me to use the rear USB for the Wi-Fi adaptor and not keep it hooked up with the wired connection anymore- which I don't use much on that player anyways.
Old 01-02-19, 01:35 AM

Alan, the 93 & 95 with firmware no newer than 12/11 are the only Oppo's (& afaik) only Quality players that will play burned SACD's (aka iso's). Make sure you don't update the firmware on your 93 (I've heard that Oppo's are designed so you can't roll back to a previous firmware).

I wish you lived nearby, sounds like you're waay more skilled with repair than anyone in the Seattle Tacoma area.

You are probably right about the kit; it's probably fine but the comment from 2 tech's that It might take out the unit I had just spent $264 on getting repaired wasn't worth the risk. I have quite a few Euro DVD's & blu's, so I do need the region free ability. Really sucks that Oppo switched to cell phones, I don't know of any other player with this quality that does as much at any price.

Ironically, what their corporate owners failed to see is they could have likely doubled the 205's price, & had little impact on sales. I'm really not aware of any real competition for an end user who's into both high end audio & video. As you probably know , the only difference between the 03 & the 05 in a given generation is the 05 had much higher quality audio.
Old 01-02-19, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Yep, I would've paid even more for an Oppo player in the future but sadly it seems most people won't. A lot think that anything above $100 is too much, never mind that the first VCRs ran around $1000 so anything more sophisticated for that much should still be a bargain!

I would've guessed your problem was with the power supply, I don't know a whole lot about them but if those go easily it might be worth buying extra ones as backups. I don't know how repairable or interchangeable they are- but I was impressed that when I got a VHD player from Japan and somehow the power supply in that died, a local shop was able to get it working again. Don't know if they repaired or replaced anything but it's a dead format that wasn't even sold in the US.
Old 01-02-19, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably the best A/V player that could play SACD-Rs besides the Oppo's was the Denon 3910, a universal DVD player. It was a fine machine in its day that originally retailed for over $1000. I had one, though it sadly stopped recognizing any discs and needed an expensive, new laser.
Old 01-02-19, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Yep, I would've paid even more for an Oppo player in the future but sadly it seems most people won't. A lot think that anything above $100 is too much, never mind that the first VCRs ran around $1000 so anything more sophisticated for that much should still be a bargain!

I would've guessed your problem was with the power supply, I don't know a whole lot about them but if those go easily it might be worth buying extra ones as backups. I don't know how repairable or interchangeable they are- but I was impressed that when I got a VHD player from Japan and somehow the power supply in that died, a local shop was able to get it working again. Don't know if they repaired or replaced anything but it's a dead format that wasn't even sold in the US.
I guessed that also. Turns out that per Oppo the power supply in the 95 is a circuit board rather an easily replaceable part. There is really no one in the Seattle-Tacoma area that I've been able to find that has a clue regarding working on high end digital.
Old 01-02-19, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Probably the best A/V player that could play SACD-Rs besides the Oppo's was the Denon 3910, a universal DVD player. It was a fine machine in its day that originally retailed for over $1000. I had one, though it sadly stopped recognizing any discs and needed an expensive, new laser.
If my 95 ever dies, I'll keep that in mind...... So far the 95 has been perfect at 7 years old. I can't blame the player for a transformer blowing up across the street!
Old 01-03-19, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just a hunch... and possibly worth a try. You might be able to recover your $264 expense by doing either, (or both!) of the following:

1. Call your local power company and complain (ie, "The transformer going out across the street isn't *my* fault!" For once, the customer (ie, you) may actually come out ahead. Good comeuppance at the rapacious, greedy power company.

2. See if your homeowners Insurance policy will cover the loss, but be sure to check if filing that small claim will result in a vastly increased home insurance bill for years to come!.

Good luck...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.