DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   9 Channel Receiver Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/645453-9-channel-receiver-recommendations.html)

fumanstan 10-07-18 10:31 PM

9 Channel Receiver Recommendations

I'm looking for a 9 channel receiver so that I can take advantage of the ceiling speakers I have in my house and use 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos. Any one have recommendations or experience with specific models?

It looks like price can jump up quite a bit going from 7.2 to 9.2, and i'm somewhat budget conscience so i've been looking at cheaper models like the Onkyo TX-NR787 that looks like it can be had in the $600 range which is a few hundred cheaper then other options, like say the Denon AVRX4400H. I currently own an Onyko TX-NR656 and running 5.1.2 and it works well enough, so while I know Onkyo had some reliability concerns in the past they've been solid for me. Yamaha options seem out of my price range as I'd love to keep it in under $800.

On that note, I know Onkyo owns Pioneer, but not sure if there's a significant difference in quality. The Pioneer VSX-LX303 for instance looks almost identical, so i'm curious if there's anything major other then software/interface?

JZ1276 10-07-18 11:33 PM

Re: 9 Channel Receiver Recommendations

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 13421678)
On that note, I know Onkyo owns Pioneer, but not sure if there's a significant difference in quality. The Pioneer VSX-LX303 for instance looks almost identical, so i'm curious if there's anything major other then software/interface?

Is that right? I never knew this. I've only ever used Pioneer receivers.

fumanstan 10-08-18 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by JZ1276 (Post 13421710)
Is that right? I never knew this. I've only ever used Pioneer receivers.

It just happened a few years ago, completing in 2015.

https://www.cnet.com/news/pioneer-el...h-competition/

And this was what I was reading in relation to the product lines I was comparing with the Onkyo TX-NR787 vs the Pioneer Elite VSX-LX303.

https://www.audioholics.com/av-recei...elitevsx-lx303

JZ1276 10-08-18 12:50 AM

So are Pioneer/Onkyo products made with the same parts?

fumanstan 10-08-18 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by JZ1276 (Post 13421734)
So are Pioneer/Onkyo products made with the same parts?

That's what I was wondering :)

Adam Tyner 10-08-18 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 13421678)
I'm looking for a 9 channel receiver so that I can take advantage of the ceiling speakers I have in my house and use 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos. Any one have recommendations or experience with specific models?

I'm really happy with my Marantz SR6012, which I'm also using for 5.1.4. It's last year's model, so you can get it for less than the latest and greatest would run. You're more likely to find it for $900, though, which I understand may be a dealbreaker since that's a bit over budget. It has all the nicities like Dolby Vision support, which was rare last year (although maybe it's more widespread now).

Of course, since Denon and Marantz are corporate siblings, maybe everything I love about my SR6012 is present and accounted for in the Denon you mentioned. :)

fumanstan 10-08-18 02:30 PM

That Marantz came up in my search and i'm tempted! I don't know what the difference is in the new 2018 SR6013 model, but I've thought about spending the extra money. I had researched the Marantz NR models previously a few years back and decided not to go that route, but they do interest me.

cseyer 10-10-18 02:05 PM

I have the Pioneer SC-87 receiver with Dolby Atmos, love it BUT....

It currently is not able to play Dolby Atmos from Apple TV 4k and I understand from other Pioneers owners that the problem is common to even this years receiver models. So for that reason alone I would NOT recommend a pioneer, go for yamaha, denon, or marantz

mattysemo247 10-12-18 08:16 AM

I also own a Pioneer Elite and love it, but that was before the Onkyo merger. So I probably wouldn't buy one again since they have a problematic history. That being said my Dad bought an Onkyo a couple years ago and hasn't had any issues yet.

I also wouldn't let a couple hundred dollars sway your decision. A receiver is an important decision in your home theater setup and something you don't replace often. So spend the extra money and get something you will be happy with long term.

fumanstan 10-12-18 10:01 AM

I think my issue is I just don't know what the difference really is if i'm paying those extra few hundred dollars. Feature wise it seems like all the options fit my needs, which is really support for the latest/greatest and being able to do 5.1.4.

E Unit 10-12-18 11:27 AM

More than likely you're paying for the amps inside the receiver. The more amps to cover each channel, the less stress you put on the overall amperage. I have a Denon 6300H and it has amps for each channel, so when I crank up the sound, especially for Atmos mixes, it sounds great and well balanced.

And speaking of brands, I originally started with some old school Pioneer, and they were great. About 10 years ago I switched and got a Denon 3808, and haven't looked back. I did briefly try out Onkyo, but for me, the sound was a bit hollow. Once I got the Denon, I could hear a full, more robust sound. While Denon (and Marantz) is a bit more, I think it's well worth sending money on, next to speakers.

fumanstan 10-12-18 02:44 PM

Thanks, I'm kind of leaning towards either the Denon AVRX4400H or Marantz SR6012 now, both at $899. Hoping I can find an even bigger discount on them... or wait until Black Friday.

E Unit 10-12-18 05:45 PM

If you are near a Fry's, the 4400 has been going on sale with their promo codes, for around $750. Black Friday week is also a great time to get in on some good pricing.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/122-g...romo-code.html

mattysemo247 10-24-18 08:37 PM

This seems like a good deal

https://slickdeals.net/f/12154795-fr...?src=frontpage

fumanstan 01-27-19 05:55 PM

Welp, Fry's this week has the Denon AVR-X4500H for $849 and I went ahead and bought it. It was $899 at Fry's a month or so ago, and with the regular price being around $1200 I figured what the hell. Just went through the Audyssey calibration but still have to mess around with it some more.

E Unit 01-27-19 06:14 PM

Solid pick. :thumbsup: Let is know how it sounds to you.