Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Best Receiver at Amazon?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Best Receiver at Amazon?

Old 12-28-00, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi! I may be returning the JVC RX-8000VBK I recently bought from Amazon. From current stock at Amazon what is a good receiver in the $400 to about $550 range? Definitely not a JVC! Is the Pioneer VSXD709S or Philips FR975 a good buy? I have a Pioneer DVD player that has operated perfectly. Are the receivers just as dependable and clean-sounding?

------------------
My DVD List

[This message has been edited by BenCJedi (edited December 27, 2000).]
Old 12-28-00, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought a Pioneer VSX-D409 from Amazon with gift certs and it works great. I love it. But it was a pain in the ass getting one. Backordered for a month, then took 2 weeks to ship, now they're out of stock again.

------------------
The weather is here, wish you were beautiful!
Old 12-28-00, 10:37 AM

I was wondering about the Philips FR-975 also. Anyone heard anything? The only thing I know is that it's made by Marantz.
Old 12-28-00, 10:41 AM

what's wrong with 8000? i have it and works fine.
Old 12-28-00, 01:25 PM

My RX-8000VBK.. the surrounds and center channel emit a crackling sound every couple seconds, but it isn't in any sort of pattern. When I turn off all DSP I don't hear it because those 3 speakers aren't used in that mode. I'm actually very dissappointed after reading the great reviews it got at http://www.audioreview.com, but then I read a review at http://www.hometheaterforum.com with someone experiencing the same thing with their 8000. Do I have a dud? Anything else I should try before committing to send it back? I've tried different speaker cables, messing with the modes and a different power source, but the crackling remains and annoys me to no end.

------------------
My DVD List
Old 12-28-00, 01:29 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by BenCJedi:
My RX-8000VBK.. the surrounds and center channel emit a crackling sound every couple seconds, but it isn't in any sort of pattern. When I turn off all DSP I don't hear it because those 3 speakers aren't used in that mode. I'm actually very dissappointed after reading the great reviews it got at http://www.audioreview.com, but then I read a review at http://www.hometheaterforum.com with someone experiencing the same thing with their 8000. Do I have a dud? Anything else I should try before committing to send it back? I've tried different speaker cables, messing with the modes and a different power source, but the crackling remains and annoys me to no end.

<HR>

I think you have a dud. When a mid-to-high-end JVC product works, its great, but their quality-control sucks!
Old 12-28-00, 01:45 PM

Maybe I will just send it in for repair. I waited 23 days from when I first ordered for Amazon to finally send it to me though. They only had one in stock and a computer glitch prevented it from being shipped. They could not obtain a replacement to send immediately, so I waited and waited and waited. The main box was also opened for the unit when I got it. Should I send it to Amazon or take advantage of the 2 year parts and labor warranty from JVC? Do you think the open box is grounds for Amazon to pay for the return shipping? The plastic bag around the receiver still appeared initially taped and not tampered with. I'm a little disturbed that I waited so long and find out the receiver isn't working as designed. So send to Amazon and wait another month for them to replace it or send to JVC to fix and definitely have to front the cost of shipping? Those of you with 8000's, can you vouge your 8000's operate flawlessly?

------------------
My DVD List

[This message has been edited by BenCJedi (edited December 28, 2000).]
Old 12-28-00, 04:09 PM

I own a JVC RX-8000VBK, it did the same thing when i bought it (crackling sound, mine from the rears only).. The store wouldnt swap it out until it was a confirmed non repairable defect.. Took it in for repair and 7 days latter all was fixed, loose solder joints was the verdict.
Old 12-28-00, 09:45 PM

So anyone know anything about the Philips FR975... It sounds great on paper!
Old 12-29-00, 02:16 PM

I decided to just send the receiver in for repair since it is all covered in the warranty. I shouldn't have to pay a dime, whereas if I sent back to Amazon, I would have had to spend more money for a different receiver, plus the shipping isn't free anymore. I appreciate all the comments. Hope my receiver gets a speedy repair.

TLamm Thanks for your statement about your 8000. Maybe mine was in a bad batch as well. Hope the technicians I sent it to try your suggestion about the solder joints and find that to be the easily, fixable culprit.

[This message has been edited by BenCJedi (edited December 29, 2000).]
Old 12-29-00, 04:26 PM

I decided to just send the receiver in for repair since it is all covered in the warranty. I shouldn't have to pay a dime, whereas if I sent back to Amazon, I would have had to spend more money for a different receiver, plus the shipping isn't free anymore. I appreciate all the comments. Hope my receiver gets a speedy repair.
Old 12-29-00, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought the Pioneer VSX-D509s from Amazon and am very happy with it's performance. Does both Digital and DTS, has all the inputs/outputs you need (including two optical), has a sweet learning remote, and overall is a workhorse. Have had no problems with it now for the past 6 months.
Old 12-30-00, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by SirPablo:
I bought the Pioneer VSX-D509s from Amazon and am very happy with it's performance. Does both Digital and DTS, has all the inputs/outputs you need (including two optical), has a sweet learning remote, and overall is a workhorse. Have had no problems with it now for the past 6 months.
<HR>

got my 509 this morning. LOVE it.

------------------
chess' DVDs chess' Web Site
"Come the millennium, month 12, In the home of greatest power, The village idiot will come forth, To be acclaimed the leader." -Nostradamus, 1555