DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Vizio m-series 2015 HDR/Dolby Vision question (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/643606-vizio-m-series-2015-hdr-dolby-vision-question.html)

Zien 04-05-18 01:21 PM

Vizio m-series 2015 HDR/Dolby Vision question

So I screwed up.

Or have lack of foresight.

A couple years ago I bought a 4k Vizio M-series 2015 model. This year I got an all new 4k-capable receiver and 4k Blu-ray player. Then I found out my Vizio won't upgrade to show HDR format or Dolby Vision -- only the 2016 models will.

A couple questions...

How much does it matter right now? I don't really have the $ to buy a new TV and I know trying to sell TVs on craigslist or ebay isn't really as popular as it used to be. My sound system plays 4k Dolby Atmos really well and the picture looks good...but about as good as Blu Ray.

If I were to sell the TV and some blood for enough money to get a newer Vizio or TCL (my general price range), are there any times of the year--aside from Holiday Season--where certain stores will sell for a lot cheaper?

Thanks!

mattysemo247 04-06-18 12:48 PM

Re: Vizio m-series 2015 HDR/Dolby Vision question

From everything I've heard and read, HDR is actually more impressive than the 4K features. But I don't have a set yet, so I can't say first hand.

Dan 04-06-18 12:54 PM

I had a 2015 M-series Vizio (60")
I sold it (someone paid me $500, which I thought was totally fair) and bought a 2017 LG OLED 7-series (65") on sale.

The upgrade was totally worth it, IMO. But your mileage may vary. If you're happy with your 2015 set, keep it for a few more years, then upgrade later.
Or watch for HDR sets going on sale, and pick one up when the price is right.

But don't feel forced to upgrade. Take your time and enjoy what you've got.

The funny thing is I actually bought a 2015 Samsung w/ HDR before the Vizio... but it was an Amazon Warehouse deal and despite saying there were no dead pixels, there were dead pixels. I returned it ASAP (didn't even watch anything on it, just a blank screen to confirm the dead pixels), and bought the (much) cheaper Vizio. It served me well, but I was itching for HDR.

E Unit 04-06-18 01:44 PM

I think most everyone who got a 2015 Vizio (myself included) got screwed. I also sold mine for $550 and was actually thrilled I got that much for it. At one point, Vizio even said they were going to update the firmware so they could process HDR. Then they turned around and said the boards couldn't handle it.

But once I got an LG with HDR, it did make a bit of difference. I personally think it's worth it. nd it matters since most movies and shows like on Netflix film release it with HDR and Dolby Vision.

Usual places like Best Buy, Amazon, Costco/Sam's, (and Fry's)have good seasonal sales. A lot of tech forums usually have threads for sales and where to get the best prices.

Zien 04-06-18 01:54 PM

Thank you for the help! Much appreciated.

I have an Vizio m-series 55", and I'd actually take 400-500ish for it. That would help upgrade.

Dan & E-Unit, where'd you sell yours?

Dan 04-06-18 02:07 PM

I sold mine to a coworker.

E Unit 04-06-18 02:11 PM

Facebook local sell page for my city.

Zien 04-06-18 04:39 PM

Thank you both! REALLY helpful. You rock.