DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Lg c7 oled (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/642891-lg-c7-oled.html)

ManfromCyrodiil 02-01-18 12:47 AM

Lg c7 oled

I just picked up the 55in in this series and I was wondering what a good site would be for proper calibration. I will be running cox cable, Apple TV (4K) and my Xbox one X for HDR gaming and the 4K player.

Thank you

E Unit 02-01-18 08:16 AM

Re: Lg c7 oled

rtings.com and avsforum are both places to get some good calibration settings. You can use those as a baseline then tweak it to your liking.

Dan 02-01-18 08:28 AM

Yup, rting.com's settings are pretty good. Use those then tweak it a bit.

The 7-series LG OLEDs are great. :up: good purchase :)

ManfromCyrodiil 02-01-18 08:46 AM

Perfect. Thanks guys

Yea this TV looks amazing already but with the active HDR and all the other settings I figured I would start somewhere with a baseline

Appreciate the input

Deftones 02-01-18 04:21 PM

yeah, highly recommend rtings.com

Dan 09-05-20 07:07 PM

:banana: bump! :banana:

Bought my E7 in January 2018.
Burn-in became pretty bad in the last few months, most notably with washed-out reds and some vertical banding with grays.
I contacted LG and they agreed to swap the panel... over 2.5 years after I bought it. Free of charge.
:up: fantastic customer service.
It sounds like getting a free replacement panel can be hit or miss, but it's worth a shot if you've got one with issues.

E Unit 09-05-20 07:54 PM

That’s cool! So same model panel or an updated version?

Dan 09-05-20 08:17 PM

Same model, as I don't think there was an equivalent E8 or beyond with the glass outer edge. That said, some people who got the C7 panel replaced claim that LG ended up installing a C8 or C9 panel, confirmed by taking a super close photo of the pixels before and after, as the latter models changed a bit.

E Unit 09-05-20 08:22 PM

That’s cool that they’re doing that. And with all that, it confirms that I’ll never get an OLED. To this day, they still have burn-in issues.

Dan 09-05-20 09:44 PM

That's totally fair. My family and I put nearly 7000 hours into the set, and I'd say the burn-in/discoloration only seemed to show up in the last 1000 or so. But at this point I wouldn't give anyone a hard time for avoiding OLED for that reason, even if I don't think I could go back to anything else. :D

Josh-da-man 09-06-20 07:51 AM

I can't help but get the sense that OLED is being oversold.

I mean, yeah, it's 4K and has great color reproduction and black levels -- I've seen them demoed and they are outstanding, but what's the point in that if the PQ starts to go downhill after a couple of years?

Dan 09-06-20 11:46 AM

To be fair, it's less about the time since purchase and more about the time in use, but some panels do just degrade faster regardless of that.

RTINGS did an excellent OLED test over the course of a year. It's worth watching all of the videos in the series, but this is the last one.

​​​​​​There's always a risk, but I think it's been worth it. Even with my set, the issue was mostly only noticable with static bright red colors in the middle of the screen. Regular viewing never had any real issue, but since LG was willing to swap it for free, I wasn't going to turn that down.

I do agree though that the cost/benefit of OLED isn't the same for everyone, and anyone looking for a high end set but still want to avoid OLED burn-in would be better off with something like the Sony X900H which appears to be fantastic.

Toddarino 09-11-20 11:23 AM

I’ve been shopping for two years convinced I was going to get an Oled. I have a plasma and I’ve heard it’s the best transition as far as picture quality.
I have a month to make a decision. This is tough.

PerryD 09-11-20 11:27 AM

OLED are still pricey, it's usually best to get them at the end of the season (March-ish) when the prices are the lowest. They traditionally have good prices black friday week, then Super bowl week, then early March before the new models come out. But I've heard they are dramatically ramping up production of OLED, so prices will come down closer to regular TV prices going forward.

Toddarino 09-11-20 11:39 AM

I guess Visio’s first oled comes out Tuesday. It’ll be interesting to see if that drops the price too.

E Unit 09-11-20 12:10 PM

Keep in mind the newer technologies like micro-LED, and some others have yet to be tested. All of those are gunning for zero black like OLED. If the difference is negligible and don't suffer from burn, then I would definitely go to something besides OLED.

Toddarino 09-11-20 01:31 PM

Zero black and motion are my main two concerns. I’ve never had to worry about motion on my plasmas. It bothers me so much on every other type of tv.

E Unit 09-11-20 02:05 PM

After seeing that video, I'm fine with not having zero blacks. In fact, when I've seen it in demos, it's a bit jarring. Other stuff like 120 and DV/HDR+, etc are a much bigger draw for me at this point.

Josh-da-man 09-11-20 02:30 PM

My concern about burn-in would be watching letterboxed (2.35:1) and pillarboxed (4:3) material on the set, where there are going to be large black areas on the screen for extended periods of time. Makes me think that the pixels in the middle will wear out faster than those on the bottom and sides, which would leave straight lines on the image, particularly fullscreen (16:9/1.85:1).

E Unit 09-11-20 02:53 PM

Yeah, based on that video, there was already a burn-in of the MSNBC logo on test patterns after only 4000 hours of usage. I can only imagine using an OLED for a few years watching movies with letterbox bars. That's more than enough to have me pass on this technology.

Toddarino 09-27-20 01:45 PM

After reading this thread I shifted my focus to the Sony 900h. It’s about $1400 for the 65. I think though after reading reviews and comparisons on Rtings, the Hisense H9 really caught my eye. It’s about $400 less, but has both Dolby Vision and Hdr10+. I wanna see it in action however since I’ve heard that the upscaling isn’t so hot. That would be a dealbreaker. I still plan on watching dvd’s And Blu-Ray.

Dan 09-27-20 02:48 PM

If you plan to get a next generation gaming system, you'd be better off with the 900H, as I don't think the H9 is 4K/120Hz compatible.
​​​​​​ Otherwise, yeah. H9 might be sufficient.

Toddarino 09-27-20 03:45 PM

That was another negative. I’m hoping they release 2.1 as a firmware update like Sony is planning to go.

kahuna 09-28-20 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Toddarino (Post 13812787)
After reading this thread I shifted my focus to the Sony 900h. It’s about $1400 for the 65. I think though after reading reviews and comparisons on Rtings, the Hisense H9 really caught my eye. It’s about $400 less, but has both Dolby Vision and Hdr10+. I wanna see it in action however since I’ve heard that the upscaling isn’t so hot. That would be a dealbreaker. I still plan on watching dvd’s And Blu-Ray.

Just saw this posted on Slickdeals.
Sony 65" X90CH (Costco's X900H equivalent) $969.99
Costco will have the X90CH for 969.99 starting September 30th through Oct 25th.
https://slickdeals.net/f/14362961-so...ent-969-99?v=1

PerryD 09-28-20 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by kahuna (Post 13813153)
Just saw this posted on Slickdeals.
Sony 65" X90CH (Costco's X900H equivalent) $969.99
Costco will have the X90CH for 969.99 starting September 30th through Oct 25th.
https://slickdeals.net/f/14362961-so...ent-969-99?v=1

I've had good luck price matching Costco prices with Abt Electronics including the extended warranties that Costco adds on. They are a huge superstore in my area, so even though I have a Costco membership, Abt is easier for me to deal with local delivery and support. But they do nationwide mail order, so I'd suggest calling them for those without a Costco membership.