DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Do you prefer your TV wall mounted?

Old 01-20-18, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you prefer your TV wall mounted?

Is your TV wall mounted or just using the basic stand it came bundled with?

Mine is mounted on a TV stand with glass shelves (aka dust magnet lol) which imo gives off a much sleek look. Wires can be hidden and tv can swivel 45 degrees left or right. Not wall mounted but kinda gives off a similar look.
Old 01-20-18, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Do you prefer your TV wall mounted?

I just don't like the idea of mounting a TV on a wall, but I've seen them in homes where it looks fairly nice. Although all I've ever seen are TV's mounted above fireplaces. I just prefer using the TV stand it comes with.
Old 01-20-18, 10:59 PM

We wall-mounted ours and we think it looks great. We have one of those mounts that can pull out and pivot so if we want to watch something during dinner we can at a decent angle. We use the entertainment center below it for the sound bar, receiver, etc. Works great.
Old 01-21-18, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Although all I've ever seen are TV's mounted above fireplaces. I just prefer using the TV stand it comes with.
Mounting above the fireplace is possibly the worst place for a flat panel. The viewer is not suppose to look up. The proper placement on the wall should be on the same height as using the stand the tv came with and a proper floor stand of about 20". It may look weird being so low when you walk into a room but once you sit down it's normal. Check any video on youtube and most tv's that are properly wall mounted are the same height as using the stand.
Old 01-21-18, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Mine is also mounted on a TV stand that swivels. It works well for me, although we're moving to a new house in a few months so i'm not sure if we'll move to wall mounts. We have conduit pre ran to make it look clean.

Also, hate TV's mounted above the fireplace as they're way too high.
Old 01-21-18, 09:18 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not only do we not have any wall space conveniently placed where we would want to watch TV, but if I ever buy a flat panel TV, I would want it at a height where we would look straight ahead to watch, I would not want to look up to watch TV. We would probably buy a nice woodgrain stand where we could have additional storage space for TV accessories or knick knacks and it would match the bookcases on either side where the DVDs/BDs are displayed. Having it wall-mounted might look nice for most people but for us it would be impractical, both for design and comfort.
Old 01-21-18, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always found wall-mounts to look awkward.

If you hang them like you would a picture frame, they would be too high in the air and yet if you lower them on the wall for optimal viewing they look out-of-place when the TV is turned off.

I also find wall-mounts don't really save any space as, at least for me, the Blu-ray player, 5.1 system and speakers all take-up space on the floor below it anyway.

When placed on a stand and you walk into the room, the TV looks like a TV - it doesn't look like an awkwardly placed picture frame.
Old 01-21-18, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Absolutely wall mount all the way. Having a 75" TV sitting on a TV console looks ridiculous, IMHO. And we have such a big room and wall where the TV is (wall is 14' high), not having it mounted, would make that wall look even bigger and bare. No thanks.

This is a picture of my setup a month or so ago: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...dRTHcwMzJNenZR
Old 01-21-18, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Absolutely wall mount all the way. Having a 75" TV sitting on a TV console looks ridiculous, IMHO. And we have such a big room and wall where the TV is (wall is 14' high), not having it mounted, would make that wall look even bigger and bare. No thanks.

This is a picture of my setup a month or so ago: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...dRTHcwMzJNenZR
I like your method of wall-mounting as it doesn't appear to be wall-mounted.

I'm not sure how much different it would look if you chose to use a stand instead but it looks great. The light behind is a nice touch.
Old 01-21-18, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You did it correctly. +/- 6" - 12" from your eye center when your seated is the correct position for the TV. Although that varies with some techs saying only plus or minus 5". Whatever is comfortable I guess.

I took this pic awhile back. I actually use a stand and I put it directly in front of the fireplace. I've never used the fireplace even once and there's a glass door that covers the opening. I always thought it was wasted space. I measured my stand and it fits perfectly on top of the base. I had it there for years now. I previously had a 58" Panasonic plasma on it and replaced with a 65" LG Oled.

Last edited by mrhan; 01-21-18 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-21-18, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by orangerunner View Post

I'm not sure how much different it would look if you chose to use a stand instead but it looks great. The light behind is a nice touch.
part of that is because if you look at the wall, it's recessed in. those side pillars come out about 18" or so. The TV is flush with that part of the wall that is further out. If that was a flat wall all the way across, it would be stick out much more and you probably wouldn't like the look of it.

As for the light, it's one of those $30 LED bias lights that plug into the USB port of the TV. I can do like 15 colors on it and it has a remote, so I can control it from my couch. Looks great at night when we watch a movie or TV with lights out.
Old 01-21-18, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrhan View Post

Nice

Nice

Originally Posted by orangerunner View Post

I'm not sure how much different it would look if you chose to use a stand instead but it looks great.
Same thoughts I had. It doesn't look wall mounted. I don't think it would look that different at all if he were to put it on a mounted stand.
Old 01-21-18, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I recently upgraded from a 28-year-old 21" CRT (don't laugh) to a cheap 50" HDTV, and I mounted it on my wall. I just find that it's much more unobtrusive that way.
Old 01-22-18, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I personally don't have any tvs mounted to the wall. I just never really saw the point to it, as we would see no difference where we have them. They would be mounted at exactly the same height as they are now on the stands. I do have some friends that have them mounted, one is even up on the wall towards the top of a room with an 8 foot ceiling, and I have no problems watching it. It is tilted down towards us, but it isn't uncomfortable to watch it for extended periods. Come to think of it, the TV in her bedroom is also up high. On a stand on top of a dresser. No problems there either.

Long story short, If I needed to I would have no problem mounting a tv to a wall. I just havent needed to yet.
Old 01-23-18, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I never wanted to wall mount my TV, but my new center speaker necessitated it because of its size (and I guess my lack of a place to accommodate that size). I mounted it so a little bit higher than where it was when on the stand (about 9 inches or so), and I love it. The location seems to suit all seats better for when I have company. Plus, I'm often sitting on the floor with my dog. Before, the TV was low enough that it was difficult to watch when on the floor. It's nice and comfortable to view from a floor seat now.
Old 01-23-18, 06:04 PM

Old 01-24-18, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk God

either that's some sort of fisheye lens effect going on or your HT gear is heavy as shit!
Old 01-24-18, 06:07 PM

Heavy?
Old 01-24-18, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Look at the TV stand. It is obviously the camera shot. It looks like it is bowing from weight but likely just the style of your stand. Does it have a rounded front instead of straight front?
Old 01-24-18, 10:05 PM

Oh yea. It’s rounded.