DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   TCL Tv's (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/641530-tcl-tvs.html)

Hulkabrgr 09-26-17 02:11 PM

TCL Tv's

Does anyone have any feedback on the TCL C and P series TV's. I am looking into the 55 inch set. Reviews seem very positive on it, but was curious if anyone here has any hands on experience with them.

Thank you

Deftones 09-26-17 02:28 PM

Re: TCL Tv's

They seem to be a great value for what you get. I haven't had any experience with them though. Rtings.com has very thorough reviews of them.

fumanstan 09-26-17 02:44 PM

My coworker has the P605 and loves it, and I know it gets high remarks and is talked about regularly on gaming forums as an excellent price/performance and budget option.

Hulkabrgr 09-26-17 02:57 PM

Thank you for the quick reply's. My almost 7 year old Sony is acting up (switching components by itself while not letting you switch back, and automatically turning itself on), and I don't really have the money for a top of the line tv. My family has 2 roku's, and we love the interface of it, so it makes sense to go with the Roku TV. Everything that I have read on the TCL series has been fantastic, and just wanted confirmation.

DVD Josh 09-26-17 03:02 PM

We have one in our second solarium. Its working quite nice.

TheBigDave 09-26-17 06:56 PM

I own a TCL Roku TV and I love it. I'm not sure which model it is. It's 2 years old, 40-inch 1080p. I would have gotten a 4K model, but they were only making 1080p at the time.

I think it's a perfect second TV. I use it in my bedroom. I'd also get one if I was on a tight budget. But my main TV is a very expensive 60-inch Plasma, and you can't compare the TCL to that.

The two main drawbacks to me are the lack of picture settings and the remote. There's a few settings, but you can't calibrate it to a perfect image like on more expensive TVs. And the remote is a standard Roku remote. There's very few buttons (no numbers). If you're just using the Roku feature, that's fine. But if you have it connected to other devices, you'll probably want a universal remote.

Hulkabrgr 09-29-17 08:47 AM

Thanks again everyone for the input. Costco just put the 55C803 on sale for $449 through 10/22, can't pass up the tv at that price :)

mrhan 11-03-17 01:33 PM

I got the mailer from Costco yesterday. It's on sale again on 11/9 through 11/16.

fumanstan 07-08-18 05:43 PM

TCL had 10% off most of their TV's yesterday as part of a Cut the Cord promotion and I ended up picking up the 6 series 55R615 yesterday from Best Buy for my home office given the reviews this year and of last year's model as one of the best price/performance TV's on the market.

Digging it so far, and I really like the Roku TV OS better then some of the other ones i've used.

E Unit 07-08-18 07:39 PM

Nice! How much was it with coupon? I totally missed that.

fumanstan 07-09-18 12:22 AM

$539.99 for the 55 inch at Best Buy, although I had another 10% off Best Buy card holder coupon that managed to stack on top, so a little extra off for me.

Amazon had the standard 55R617 version for $585 for the 55 inch or $899 for the 65 inch.

E Unit 07-09-18 12:46 AM

I’ve been eyeing the 55” for quite a while for my bedroom. It’s below $600, and while I would have preferred your price, I think the Amazon price suits me just as well. Ordering one.

E Unit 08-16-18 10:51 AM

For those who have the new TCL models, there's a "secret menu" that allows you to disable Dolby Vision so it'll default to HDR. Great for comparisons between the two. On the Roku remote, Click: Home, Home, Home, Home, Home, Rewind, Pause, Fast Forward, Pause, Rewind buttons in that order.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/i...psqdwgli5s.jpg http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/i...psr688cygp.jpg

Maxflier 08-18-18 01:19 AM

Cool. What’s NAND: Toshiba? Do they actually make these?

E Unit 08-18-18 01:16 PM

These are 100% TCL made, but it looks like some of the firmware is done by Toshiba.

kahuna 08-19-18 12:45 AM

10% off code for series 5 and series 6 Roku TCL TVs at Best Buy, expires 8/31.
Code is TCLUPGRADE.

Barth 08-19-18 11:54 PM

Forgive me, I know I could search but I just want opinions on this as well. What is Dolby Vision? The last I knew you just wanted a hdr television. My LG I bought last fall is a 4k hdr tv. I thought ok that's all I need to get with the times. Tech is changing so fast on tvs I can't keep up.

Sonic 08-20-18 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Barth (Post 13392178)
Forgive me, I know I could search but I just want opinions on this as well. What is Dolby Vision? The last I knew you just wanted a hdr television. My LG I bought last fall is a 4k hdr tv. I thought ok that's all I need to get with the times. Tech is changing so fast on tvs I can't keep up.

This link is a good read and explains it all:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/what-is...view-5138.html

fumanstan 08-22-18 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier (Post 13391516)
Cool. What’s NAND: Toshiba? Do they actually make these?

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13391623)
These are 100% TCL made, but it looks like some of the firmware is done by Toshiba.

NAND is flash storage, so I imagine Toshiba is just the manufacturer of the memory the OS and Apps live on.

d2cheer 08-23-18 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by kahuna (Post 13391852)
10% off code for series 5 and series 6 Roku TCL TVs at Best Buy, expires 8/31.
Code is TCLUPGRADE.

I am so close to pulling the trigger here. Anyone have the new series 6?

fumanstan 08-23-18 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by d2cheer (Post 13394364)

I have the 55R615. I have some game consoles hooked up but mostly use it's Roku features to stream TV and Netflix.

Maxflier 08-24-18 01:19 AM

I have the 55R615 as well.

E Unit 08-24-18 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by d2cheer (Post 13394364)

I have the 55” 6 Series. Really worth it IMO.

fumanstan 08-31-18 01:17 PM

The 6 series are on sale at Best Buy again.

TCL 65-inch 4K HDR 6-series Roku TV for $872 with promo code TCLUPGRADE at checkout (usually $999)
TCL 55-inch 4K HDR 6-series Roku TV for $539 with the same code at checkout (usually $599)

NewEgg has the 55" 617 for $549, if the extra voice features on the remote are useful.
https://flash.newegg.com/product/9SIA1CZ7CE8500

d2cheer 08-31-18 05:47 PM

Just bought the 65" one. Picking it up later tonight.

d2cheer 09-07-18 03:53 PM

Finally got it up and going. What setting do you guys use for sports like football? I watched the game on it last night just a FYI I have not done anything but take it out of the box essentially; but wasn't wowed with how the game was looking. I just used the movie mode. The sports mode was way to bright.

I know I need to research setting; calibration etc...but if you guys have some tips I'll take them!!

fumanstan 09-07-18 05:52 PM

I copied these for the most part:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tc...-r617/settings

d2cheer 09-08-18 09:25 AM

Thanks!!

Viper187 09-16-18 11:04 PM

I have last year's P605/P607. The red screen when switching inputs is fuckin annoying, and some of the settings are only available via phone app in spite of the 100 other apps on the fucking TV itself. If you can deal with that shit and the half-assed dildo remote, it's not a bad looking TV and has excellent input lag for gaming. I'm actually thinking of getting this year's 55 inch to replace my 40 inch PC monitor because everything under 55 inch seems to be garbage these days.

JZ1276 10-10-18 02:11 AM

I'm having an issue with the new TCL. I have it connected to the output of a Pioneer receiver via HDMI, & there is a slight buzzing noise coming out of all the speakers. When I disconnect that HDMI cable, the noise is gone. Even when the TV is off, the noise is there.

This happening to anyone else?

fumanstan 10-10-18 09:56 AM

I haven't noticed that on mine connected to an old Onkyo receiver.

JZ1276 10-10-18 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 13423102)
I haven't noticed that on mine connected to an old Onkyo receiver.

And you're using HDMI? I have it connected to the ARC input on the TV.
I'm either going to try disabling ARC, switching HDMI cables, or using a different HDMI input.

fumanstan 10-10-18 02:47 PM

Yup, HDMI also connected to the ARC port.

JZ1276 10-16-18 01:01 AM

The buzzing noise was from coming from an LED strip I have set up behind the TV.

Anyway, I'm having a new issue with the Roku player not seeing any videos from my Windows 10 PC. It was working as it should for awhile then suddenly stopped. It does see files from the public "Music" folder on my PC, but files in the public "Videos" folder don't show up. I moved the video files to the "Music" folder & can watch them this way. I compared properties with both Music & Videos folders & noticed the network path is different as shown in the screenshot so I assume that's the issue but can't figure out how to change it. Any help is appreciated.

http://thumbs2.imagebam.com/06/78/16...1002375804.jpg

TheBigDave 11-01-18 02:09 PM

Is the difference between the Series-5 and Series-6 worth $200?

I'm looking at the 55-inch models. The only difference I can see is the local dimming. Is that a huge improvement, or something I'd barely notice? Is there anything else I'm missing?

Maxflier 11-01-18 04:10 PM

Since I have started watching a few 4k blu-rays on mine, I have noticed how bad the banding (I think that is what it is called) is on this tv, like REALLY bad. It's not apparent in most normal scenes, but mostly black or white screens it sticks out like a sore thumb.

E Unit 11-05-18 10:36 AM

Yep, that's mostly normal. Trade-off for everything else. It's basically a panel lottery when getting these TCL's. I have that issue as well. It can be annoying, but thankfully I haven't some across too much material where it's a glaring issue. Many people on some other forums have complained about it, and very few have said they didn't have any issues with it. Some have returned it and gotten replacements, only to come across the same issue.

robin2099 11-05-18 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13438231)
Yep, that's mostly normal. Trade-off for everything else. It's basically a panel lottery when getting these TCL's. I have that issue as well. It can be annoying, but thankfully I haven't some across too much material where it's a glaring issue. Many people on some other forums have complained about it, and very few have said they didn't have any issues with it. Some have returned it and gotten replacements, only to come across the same issue.

Kind of the curse of the TCL TV. You get a great deal for what you pay for. Unfortunately, you also get what you pay for in terms of cut corners.

TheBigDave 11-05-18 11:10 AM

I'm thinking of getting the Roku Wireless Speakers instead of a soundbar. Has anyone heard anything good/bad about them? Hopefully they'll be on sale for Black Friday.

https://www.roku.com/products/roku-t...peakers-bundle

E Unit 11-05-18 11:16 AM

I read this article a while back and they had good things to say about them. Biggest negative is that it only works for Roku TV's.

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/ro...eless-speakers