Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking for a DVD player from Circuit City

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Looking for a DVD player from Circuit City

Old 12-23-00, 03:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright, this LipSync problem is driving me crazy on my Sony 550, so I am going to send it in and get it fixed. Anyway, I have $250 in Circuit City gift certificates that I need to spend and am looking at getting a DVD player while the other is in the shop.

Can anyone give me some recommendations? I like my Sony player and who knows, when it comes back, I may use it as my primary once again and retire the "new" one to the bedroom unless it has more features/nicer setup than my current Sony.

Note: I don't think that me or my family can go for the 14 days that Sony said it would be in the shop (translated into 1 month) without a DVD.

Thanks...

[This message has been edited by jellis (edited December 23, 2000).]
Old 12-23-00, 05:35 AM

BTW, I am currently looking at either the Sony S360 or the Panasonic RV30 - any comments?
Old 12-23-00, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I have the Sony 360 DVD player. Ive had it about 6 months now. It hasnt given me a single problem.
Old 12-23-00, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by jellis:
BTW, I am currently looking at either the Sony S360 or the Panasonic RV30 - any comments?
<HR>

Both are good but personally I would lean towards the Sony.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 12-23-00, 09:33 PM
Cool New Member

I really like my RV30. It is the second highest rated DVD player at epinions.com and has been highly rated at audioreview.com.

The picture is very sharp and crisp, and the sound will blow you away. The features are great, especially Virtual Surround System which helps make your stereo speakers or TV speakers sound like a surround sound system.

Keep in mind that Panasonic is giving a $50 mail-in-rebate now, so it will cost a lot less then the Sony.

The Sony player is good too, but I have read a few reviews that the picture quality is kind of soft. DOn't know if anybody else has read that also.

Hope this helps!

------------------
My Very Small but Growing DVD Collection
My WebSite
Old 12-24-00, 01:12 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by zkmusa:
The Sony player is good too, but I have read a few reviews that the picture quality is kind of soft. DOn't know if anybody else has read that also.
<HR>

Yeah, I read that and that is the ONLY thing that is stopping me from picking up the Sony. I suppose I will go and audition them after the holidays.
Note: I read this on AudioReview, but some of the reviews there kinda make me say WTF. You know, all of the ones that say the tray makes too much noise when ejected or DTS is not working without a receiver, etc...

Oh well, I suppose I will go audition them...