Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

4K, HDR, Audio, and New Tech

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

4K, HDR, Audio, and New Tech

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-17, 04:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: 4K, HDR, Audio, and New Tech

Current specs and equipment can easily play 4K and upcoming stuff like HFR. If you want to pickup equipment with HDMI 2.1, you're protected for up to 8K-10K. I'm fine with 4K and my Denon X6300H 11.2 receiver. Still on the lookout for a good 70" OLED or one of the CES 2017 offerings. But it sounds like you're more into gaming, which isn't my thing.
Old 02-04-17, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I've been staring at TV's for so long that my wife said she would just buy one for me since we went all out for her on our honeymoon since I had a hard time justifying it myself.

Ended up getting the 65" KS8000 after agonizing over whether the 55" LG B6 OLED was worth it at $1799. Upgraded my receiver from an Onkyo TX-NR609 to a NR656 for 4K support and Atmos, although I need to wait for the Xbox One to add bitsreaming since that's my primary Blu-ray player, but I'm keen on buying some of the upward firing speakers that we talked about earlier.

So far so good, upgraded our Netflix account to the 4K tier and I already have Amazon Prime. Had to mess around a bit to get ARC working to send audio via my receiver with the built in apps. Now to get a UHD player (although at this point, i'll probably wait for the revised Xbox Scorpio).
Old 02-07-17, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a "Yay poo!" is in order!

Congrats (again) on the TV and Receiver purchase, Stan! As far as Samsungs line up, the 8000 series is some serious bang-for-the-buck. It's hard to justify the increase to the KS9000 series for marginal improvements and while the FALD 9800 is great, it's quite pricey. Knowing you, you've done some extensive research. How's the tweaking and calibration coming along with your new TV?

The OLEDs are a phenomenal choice (yes and still pretty pricey), but it's worth noting the input lag for gaming has been reduced with subsequent firmware updates for all the different series. I think their in the 30-35ms range, including for HDR/Game mode, which for competitive gaming isn't the best, but it is still very, very playable. The B6P series is actually down to 28ms and there are talks about all of the series being able to reduced even further.

I also actually had to get a new TV mid-December because a power surge knocked my Pioneer Elite Plasma out of commission. Almost 9 years on that TV and was still very happy with it, but I ended up getting an OLED and couldn't be happier.

Welcome to the 4K/HDR club!

What 4K and/or HDR content has impressed you the most so far?
Old 03-21-17, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have been asked for advice regarding a 4K decent bedroom/spare room tv that would be used primarily to stream and play movies from an HTPC. I used to be the go to guy in my circle for electronics/computer advice but due to recent changes in my personal life, I just no longer have the time or inclination to keep up as I am not in the position to upgrade myself and for me I am better off keeping myself in the dark so wishing and envy don't cause me issues.

So any recommendations on a 43-55 inch tv with 4K ability? Motion Blur and Judder are big concerns considering the usage and sensitivity of the people who would be using it. May also be used to occasionally game from a PS4 but not a PC or Xbox1 so input lag might be something to consider. Budget anywhere from 500-1000 but obviously the lower the better but if the upper range is really worth it, then they are willing to pay it.

Thanks for any help.
Old 03-22-17, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I know there's a 49 inch version of the KS8000 I just bought which would be right around the upper limit of your budget. If it's a bedroom TV though, might be better saving the money and going with the lower end models as far as price/performance goes.
Old 03-22-17, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How is that model?
Old 03-22-17, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I love mine. I used this site a lot when I was reading reviews and comparing options - http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-...9-50-inch/best
Old 03-22-17, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cool thanks for the advice.
Old 03-24-17, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I noticed that Sony has started selling their OLEDs on Amazon and BB and was wondering why their price point is so high. I'm sure the prices are going to go down and eventually compete with the current LG prices but why would anyone go out and buy one right now. Yeah, there are early adopters with money to burn but for most the LG will look like a bargain compared to the Sony. Panasonic is going to release their version soon but haven't released any pricing yet.

Both Sony and Panasonic do have a couple of interesting features that the LG line doesn't but I don't think it warrants such a huge price difference.

I already own a 65" LG and it totally blows away my old Panny plasmas. LEDs look totally washed out next to it when I first saw it at BB. Nothing compares to OLED at the moment. QLED isn't all that, either.
Old 04-11-17, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Sony is probably buying their panels from LG, hence the higher cost.
Old 04-11-17, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Sony is probably buying their panels from LG, hence the higher cost.
I'm not in the market for a new tv but I'm interested in seeing how Sony uses the whole screen as a speaker.
Old 04-18-17, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Ordered the LG OLED55B6P 55" 4K OLED TV today for $1,112 shipped. It'll be the living room TV in the house we are building.
Old 04-19-17, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nefarious
Ordered the LG OLED55B6P 55" 4K OLED TV today for $1,112 shipped. It'll be the living room TV in the house we are building.
That is the set I'd get if I wanted a new TV. Good deal!
Old 04-19-17, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Damn, that price a few months ago really would have gave me pause over the Samsung I bought.
Old 04-19-17, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My dream TV!
Old 04-20-17, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you by chance order it from Amazon from a new seller?
Old 04-20-17, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That is cheap. The lowest I found for that size is $1500 for a new one on ebay.
Old 04-20-17, 01:36 PM
Banned by request

If it sounds too good to be true....

A lot of people are getting it around $1600 or so, then using the Citi Price Rewind that will price match and refund the difference up to $500 if you make a purchase, if the price drops withing 60 days I believe. That would bring the set down to a very good price.

The trick to that is that you need to do a screenshot of a retailer who's selling it at such a low price, and those places are usually fraudulent.
Old 04-20-17, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

I really have not been all that interested in 4K, but was recently in the market for a new TV and picked up the Sony XBR49X900E, which is 4K. I mainly chose this model for some of the other features it has, but the 4K and HDR are a nice bonus. I don't think the resolution difference is particularly noticeable at this size with my seating distance, but this model has pretty awesome general image quality out of the box: great black levels, excellent motion handling, and accurate colors. Pretty much any content I've thrown at it has looked very good.
Old 04-24-17, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kefrank
I really have not been all that interested in 4K, but was recently in the market for a new TV and picked up the Sony XBR49X900E, which is 4K. I mainly chose this model for some of the other features it has, but the 4K and HDR are a nice bonus. I don't think the resolution difference is particularly noticeable at this size with my seating distance, but this model has pretty awesome general image quality out of the box: great black levels, excellent motion handling, and accurate colors. Pretty much any content I've thrown at it has looked very good.
As much as I want an OLED TV, the prices for a 65" are crazy. I've been looking at the 65" version of your model and will probably pick one up at the end of the summer. Everything I've read about it has been largely positive.
Old 04-24-17, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've found 4K unimpressive but HDR amazing, at least as far as demos online go.

I'm really itching to get a UHD player just for more HDR content.
Old 04-25-17, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Obey The D
As much as I want an OLED TV, the prices for a 65" are crazy. I've been looking at the 65" version of your model and will probably pick one up at the end of the summer. Everything I've read about it has been largely positive.
Just to clarify, the Sony model I bought is not OLED. It's LED-LCD with full-array local dimming. The main limitation I see in its image quality when compared to OLED is that it's a VA panel so quality degrades with off-axis viewing. This was not an issue for me though, as there are only two of us in the household (when there's not company) and we sit straight on.
Old 04-26-17, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

I just got a new Vizio- would the Spears and Muncie disc be worth it for calibrating?
Old 04-26-17, 11:26 AM
Banned by request

Yeah, Spears and Munsil blu ray is a good one. Kind of goes without saying, but since this is a blu ray, it'll be great for calibrating 1080p, then you can tweak the 4K parts after. I'd also look at your model on Rtings.com and try those out as well. I'm guessing it's a 2017 model, so you'll be tweaking a lot on the HDR material.
Old 04-26-17, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you actually get the TV shipped to you?

Most of the sellers offering it that low are bait and switch stores that try to get you to spend more money. Short of getting it for $1500 and pricematching via a price rewind card, it's pretty hard to actually get one for that price.

I bought the 65" E6 OLED for $2800 via ielectronica / ebay last month. Great TV. Loving the upgrade from my old Panny plasma.

The $1000 plus premium over the 55" was painful though, I'm normally a bang/buck kinda guy and I hesitated over it for quite a while.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 04-26-17 at 04:53 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.