Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HELP...Frustration in deciding surround speakers

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HELP...Frustration in deciding surround speakers

Old 12-14-00, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm new to HT and I would appreciate any suggestions for buying a surround speaker system for my KENWOOD VR-409 receiver which will be hooked up with a PIONEER DVD-414 PLAYER...So far I have looked at BOSE, POLK AUDIO, JBL, AND KLIPSCH...I have also read some of the topics about it in this forum and I came across with some other brand names that are new to me, like ENERGY or PARADIGM...

As u can see I'm very confused in deciding a good surround speaker system for my HT set up...I'm looking to spend no more than $800...please help me...any advice will be very helpful...

Old 12-14-00, 02:53 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by zurdo:
I'm new to HT and I would appreciate any suggestions for buying a surround speaker system for my KENWOOD VR-409 receiver which will be hooked up with a PIONEER DVD-414 PLAYER...So far I have looked at BOSE, POLK AUDIO, JBL, AND KLIPSCH...I have also read some of the topics about it in this forum and I came across with some other brand names that are new to me, like ENERGY or PARADIGM...

As u can see I'm very confused in deciding a good surround speaker system for my HT set up...I'm looking to spend no more than $800...please help me...any advice will be very helpful...

<HR>

Go pick up the Energy Take 5 System for around 600 bucks.

http://www.energy-speakers.com/

Old 12-14-00, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I second the energy suggest. For $800 you can get a nice sized sub with that as well, and as long as you don't have a huge room for your home theater these speakers will sing...

www.wholesaleconnection.com has great prices on them. $350 for the 5 speakers and you can probably get the sub for about $300, I'd upgrade to the 10" sub for the extra money. Definitely go with one of the better brands though: Paradigm, Energy, NHT, Monitor Audio, Boston Acoustics, Gallo Acoustics, Klipsch, etc. A system of any of these manufactures will NOT disappoint you. Let your ears make the final choice.
Old 12-16-00, 01:24 AM

First of all, thank you for your feedback it was very helpful...So far it seems that I will go with the ENERGY speakers...Is there any website out there that will have a review of these speakers?...or If anyone has some other thoughts on this topic please feel free to post them...I appreciate any suggestions...
Old 12-17-00, 12:03 AM

My personal suggestion would be to go with MB Quart c204 bookshelves in front and MB Quart c104 'shelves in back, and then with the matching center. Find these speakers at http://www.mbquart.com. I'm pretty sure you'll have to leave your home to buy these...that website will list dealers.

No matter what you decide, first go to http://www.audioreview.com to read up on almost any speaker you can think of...

Good luck,

Barry
Old 12-18-00, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a quick question about the Energy system - are the 5 speakers powered? While in the Bose store over the weekend, the salesman gave me a demo of speakers and the difference between (I think it is passive) passive and powered speakers was amazing. So I'm looking for a good set of powered speakers, and was wondering if the Energy Take 5 are? If not, could someone recommend a good set of powered speakers?

=Blake=
|

Old 12-18-00, 04:47 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Blake:
I have a quick question about the Energy system - are the 5 speakers powered? While in the Bose store over the weekend, the salesman gave me a demo of speakers and the difference between (I think it is passive) passive and powered speakers was amazing. So I'm looking for a good set of powered speakers, and was wondering if the Energy Take 5 are? If not, could someone recommend a good set of powered speakers?
<HR>

The Energy Take 5 speakers are not powered. In fact I don't know of any powered satellite speakers. A powered speaker is just a speaker that has it's own amp. The amp usualy just powers a sub inside the speaker. This makes it hard to power anything smaller then a floorstanding speaker. These powered speakers tend to cost quite a bit more then normal speakers because they have a powered sub along with the other typical full range components. Most people stick with speakers that don't have a powered sub because they would rather add a good external sub. These external subs tend to be much better then the subs that usually come in powered speakers.

FYI, no Bose cubes are powered.

[This message has been edited by ZenDog (edited December 18, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by ZenDog (edited December 18, 2000).]
Old 12-19-00, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too agree with the sentiment of letting your ears decide. You should go into a B&M to test a few brands out.

Personally, I have to recommend Polk Audio products. You say you want to spend about $800ish? Well, I believe you can pick up Polk's two "small" towers two decent bookshelves and a nice center for about that much. You'll have to spend another $240 ish for a nice Polk sub.

Old 12-20-00, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are a few companies out there that do make powered satelittes. It's not neccessary unless you're doing some real studio work, but they are availible. NHT Pro (don't know the name) makes them, I think M&K does as well. Mostly DJ speakers, so they don't have seperate amps. Anyhow, what the salesman was pitching is a powered subwoofer which can make a huge difference over a passive sub. Depending on your amplification. A powered sub gives you the ability to turn up the sub seperately so that you can tune the bass to your tastes, if it's passive it's balanced with the other amplifier channels. Of all the receivers I know of this would be the case unless you were to do some crazy wiring. Anyhow the Energy speaker do come with a powered sub with the system, depending on what size is up to you.
Old 12-20-00, 11:32 AM

I had checked out Harvey Electronics yesterday and were listening to the Energy Encore. All I can say is...WOW! The sound coming out of those speakers were awesome. Unfortunately, the price is way out of my budget.

Can anyone tell me the sound differences between the Encore and the Take 5?

Mucho gracias!
Old 12-20-00, 12:42 PM

Zen Dog: What he's talking about is the Acoustimass 15 by Bose which in fact has a powered bass module. The system he was comparing it against was the Acoustimass 10 which has a passive bass module.

There is a HUGE difference between a passive and a powered bass, as he has heard.

However, due to his money limit, the Acoustimass 15 is a few hundred out of range.

Let your ears decide. Most fo the recommedations thus far are all great speaker systems.

------------------
My Site

[This message has been edited by Bose Pro (edited December 20, 2000).]