Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Bare wire or speaker pins for connecting to spring type terminal speakers?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Bare wire or speaker pins for connecting to spring type terminal speakers?

Old 12-16-00, 03:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey,

Just got(well mostly)my first HT setup, speakers and receiver. My speakers use the spring type wire connectors. I'm using 12 awg wire. Should I use gold plated pin connectors or bare wire? I Don't plan on moving anything(knocking on wood) for years to come. If I use the pins there seems like there would be very little contact between the pin and the speaker terminal. Any thoughts? Thanks,

Jay

[This message has been edited by jason978 (edited December 17, 2000).]
Old 12-16-00, 06:29 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just my opinion, but, bare wire will work fine for you. The only problem is the strands being exposed to air will corrode over time. As long as you trim back the ends every once in a while this should not be a concern.

Save yourself the expense of buying pins, although they should work fine as well.

Enjoy your System.
Old 12-18-00, 12:56 PM

In the past I have found pins to be a much
better solution than bare wire (though far
from the ideal 5-way binding post/banana plug).

The pins will have less oxidation if clamped
very tightly, and they also have grooves that
ensure the pin will not slip out of the spring
connector, even if the wire is accidentally tugged.

Old 12-18-00, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a similar question.
I just purchased the Energy Take 5 system and the Onkyo 575X receiver. The place where I purchased the 575X threw in a 50' roll of 12-gauge wire. Well, I hear now that 12-guage wire doesn't fit in the Energy's inputs (I don't know what they are called, they just unscrew a little bit, and I'm assuming you slip the wire in and screw them back.) Banana plugs don't look like they will fit either, so I guess I'm stuck with pins. Some people say that you can just cut off a few strands on the wire until it fits. Pins do seem more convenients, and cheaper than banana plugs. What to do?
Old 12-18-00, 01:41 PM

Following up with a further question: If you use just (twisted) wire, should you tin the ends first?

Okay, maybe two questions: How about using four-wire telephone line? The kind I'm thinking of has solid copper wire, not twisted, and it's color-coded.
Old 12-18-00, 04:01 PM

I would not tin the wires, same problem as a solder splice. Your just adding another discontinuity to the connection. To help reduce oxidation you can use some Caig Pro-Gold spray on both the wire and terminal.

I would use Cat5 wire (4 twisted pairs) not regular phone wire. You untwist everything and use all solids and all stripes for pos/neg. For long runs you can even make a twisted pair of the Cat5 cables to increase the effective wire gauge. For an even better cable, check out the Chris VenHaus recipe on this site. Basically you braid together a bunch of the twisted pairs.

http://www.msu.edu/user/churches/diy.htm