Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need HDMI splitter/switch (short term fix) - suggestions?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 07-31-16, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soooo, I think my receiver (ONKYO 606) is on it's way out (had it since 2008 - made a few moves in the military, etc).

Until a few months ago, everything on it was working well, but recently it appears that several of the HDMI In ports on it are no longer functioning.

I'm more inclined to think the ports/receiver are dying than cables or the TV because while the picture goes out completely (indicator window on front of onkyo receiver also flashes) - but when the picture comes back up - for movie or game - there's no issue on the TV (initially I was afraid it was the TV).

This currently happens in at least 2 (I think 3) of the Input HDMI ports - but one of them is still working (apparently with no issues) - I can have either my Xbox 360 plugged in to that port - or my blu-ray player, but not both. Not that time consuming to switch them, but a little irritating and inconvenient on a day by day basis.

Is there anything I could get that would specifically act as a splitter switch plugged into the one working input port - so I could leave both Xbox and Blu-Ray plugged in at the same time and just turn one on at a time?

Just for one TV... AFAIK the HDMI Out from the receiver to the TV is working fine since as long as the device I use is in the previously listed port, there's no degradation whatsoever.
Old 08-01-16, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 361 Likes on 213 Posts
Re: Need HDMI splitter/switch (short term fix) - suggestions?

Not sure if you checked yet of npt sure if your model is covered but Onkyo has extended their warranty on older models. Enter your serial below at the url & see if your model is covered.

https://repair.onkyousa.com/na/003_2012.php?country=USA
Old 08-01-16, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

May be worth checking the cables and hardware by plugging straight into the tv. Do you have an extra port on the tv to plug the blue ray or x-box into? then you can just switch inputs on the tv to switch between the two.
Old 08-01-16, 01:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have two of these, and they have worked well:

KabelDirekt 4K Ultra HD High Speed HDMI Switch 3in / 1out (1080p 4K UltraHD 3D) with Remote - PRO Series

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are only $10 each. I use one for a TV where the audio pops in one HDMI port and in another port the image can preserve a shadow from a previous item shown. The other works with my projector that only has two HDMI inputs while I have three sources. I have no complaints. Just make sure to turn it on first so there aren't any handshake issue.
Old 08-03-16, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool
May be worth checking the cables and hardware by plugging straight into the tv. Do you have an extra port on the tv to plug the blue ray or x-box into? then you can just switch inputs on the tv to switch between the two.
Pretty sure the cables are fine because as long as I use the one port on the receiver, both Xbox and Blu-Ray work fine. But on the other two ports, the picture drops in and out (and the display readout on the front of the receiver flashes on and off too - intermittently, but apparently matching the signal).

I will check about the warranty as well. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 08-03-16, 07:30 AM

I use this one - works well. comes with remote. Turns on (and off) automatically when you turn ON any connected device, When you have only one device ON it will default to that device without having to use remote.

https://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-301BN-...plitter+kinivo
Old 08-03-16, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuan Jim
Pretty sure the cables are fine because as long as I use the one port on the receiver, both Xbox and Blu-Ray work fine. But on the other two ports, the picture drops in and out (and the display readout on the front of the receiver flashes on and off too - intermittently, but apparently matching the signal).

I will check about the warranty as well. Thanks for the suggestions.
Gotcha.
I had that happen on a receiver once. It sucks,because the receiver worked perfectly, except for the port. This was pre-hdmi, but still a pain in the ass using a splitter. at the time, they were all manual too.
Old 08-13-16, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by soundman2
I use this one - works well. comes with remote. Turns on (and off) automatically when you turn ON any connected device, When you have only one device ON it will default to that device without having to use remote.

https://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-301BN-...plitter+kinivo
Just hooked it up. Appears to be working just as described. Remote is a little sensitive for range/angle, but no major issues aside from that.

Great (and cheap) short term fix.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 08-13-16, 11:27 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,178 Likes on 833 Posts

I have the 606.
Guaranteed, your problem is with the caps on the HDMI board. It's a known issue, but it's too late for Onkyo to help you out. I had a friend solder new caps on, and it works great again.

There's a big thread on AVS about it. I'm on my phone, but a quick search will find it.