DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   75 inch or 85 inch tv??? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/635201-75-inch-85-inch-tv.html)

tucker 07-14-16 10:00 AM

75 inch or 85 inch tv???

i am going to buy a new tv (mount to wall) for my living room. the living room size is 16×22 and its not a dark room. i do watch a lot sports and movies. i deciding between samsung UN75KS9000 sony XBR75X940D, XBR85X850D, and vizio P75-C1. i want the biggest tv with best overall picture quality. how would you rank the tv’s if you were buying?? budget isnt a factor

Osiris3657 07-14-16 10:14 AM

Re: 75 inch or 85 inch tv???

If budget isn't a factor, why not not just say fuck it and buy something like this, Moneybags

Win the lotto or inherit a fortune recently? I can't think of any other reason to spend as much as $8K for a TV (according to the models you listed) when you can get high quality models for thousands less.

mythmaker18 07-14-16 01:59 PM

Tucker:
you should go online and check out one of those screen size vs viewing distance calculators to determine the best size for your room. Only thing worse that going too small is going too large (there's an episode of The IT Crowd that demonstrates the latter).

Be sure to also take into account whether you'll be watching anything standard-definition on your set or not, as that will affect the calculation, too.

In my living room, I went with a 52" set. I worked out viewing distance (which included standard def) at home before going to the store (nine feet, I think). Since I was also testing multi-system compatibility, I had my blu-ray player with me in the store and a PAL standard def DVD and tried several TVs side by side. I know it might sound silly to some, but the picture on the 55" set I looked at showed a bunch of picture flaws at nine feet.

If I hadn't worked everything out (and had my player/disc with me) I would've probably bought that 3" bigger set and made a big mistake!

tucker 07-14-16 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 12849727)
If budget isn't a factor, why not not just say fuck it and buy something like this, Moneybags

Win the lotto or inherit a fortune recently? I can't think of any other reason to spend as much as $8K for a TV (according to the models you listed) when you can get high quality models for thousands less.

I have buddy who works at Best Buy.
I can get employee pricing which means I get over 50% discount

tucker 07-14-16 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by mythmaker18 (Post 12850054)
Tucker:
you should go online and check out one of those screen size vs viewing distance calculators to determine the best size for your room. Only thing worse that going too small is going too large (there's an episode of The IT Crowd that demonstrates the latter).

Be sure to also take into account whether you'll be watching anything standard-definition on your set or not, as that will affect the calculation, too.

In my living room, I went with a 52" set. I worked out viewing distance (which included standard def) at home before going to the store (nine feet, I think). Since I was also testing multi-system compatibility, I had my blu-ray player with me in the store and a PAL standard def DVD and tried several TVs side by side. I know it might sound silly to some, but the picture on the 55" set I looked at showed a bunch of picture flaws at nine feet.

If I hadn't worked everything out (and had my player/disc with me) I would've probably bought that 3" bigger set and
made a big mistake!

Good point
12 feet away is good distance for either sizes

E Unit 07-14-16 02:30 PM

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ponder getting a Vizio. At one point I had 3, and had to replace 2 of the 3. The replacements were refurbished ones and both had to be replaced twice. It was a nightmare of an experience and their customer service sucks. Just my personal thoughts on that one. The others are good though, those Sony's/Samsung's. If budget isn't a factor, you should look into OLED panels.

bunkaroo 07-14-16 03:01 PM

Back when I was display shopping in later 2014, it seemed there were no LED panels 70 inch or above which did not have significant clouding and/or flashlighting issues. I wound up settling on a 65" which has minimal but not non-existent issues.

Are there any 70+ inch displays these days that don't have these issues?

tucker 07-14-16 04:15 PM

Too many problems with oled. I don't want to get 65 inch oled.

Deftones 07-14-16 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by trespoochies (Post 12850108)
DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ponder getting a Vizio. At one point I had 3, and had to replace 2 of the 3. The replacements were refurbished ones and both had to be replaced twice. It was a nightmare of an experience and their customer service sucks. Just my personal thoughts on that one. The others are good though, those Sony's/Samsung's. If budget isn't a factor, you should look into OLED panels.

this is so not true anymore. vizio is a pretty high quality brand, now. their reviews on the p series are nearly the best of any led tvs out there right now. only stuff getting higher reviews are the OLEDs.

DVD Josh 07-15-16 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by tucker (Post 12850069)
I have buddy who works at Best Buy.
I can get employee pricing which means I get over 50% discount

Your "buddy" better be careful as BBY is known to crack down on the sharing of employee discounts. Like with termination.

Also, there is no way you are going to get that high of a discount. Employee pricing is cost +5% and TVs are some of the lowest margin items in the store, especially the large ones. So don't go in expecting that level of discount.

Finally, you should really consider room size more if you want to go that big. 75" is probably on the outer bounds but 85" is really pushing it.

E Unit 07-15-16 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 12850672)
this is so not true anymore. vizio is a pretty high quality brand, now. their reviews on the p series are nearly the best of any led tvs out there right now. only stuff getting higher reviews are the OLEDs.

I purchased all 3 within the past year. I firmly stand by my comments and truly believe their product is not worth it. Now I did have M and E series TV's, so maybe the P series is better, but I sure as hell wouldn't risk it. And no matter what the series TV it is, their customer service is reprehensible.

DthRdrX 07-15-16 01:50 PM

The Vizio P series is the only LCD I'd buy at this point. They are great TVs at good prices.

Buying something more expensive, it would be an OLED.