Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Best front projector under $10k????? Please suggest

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Best front projector under $10k????? Please suggest

Old 12-11-00, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would y'all suggest? DLP, LCD, D-ILA? Runco, Sony, Sharp, JVC, Dream Vision, etc...? Mucho thanks. It would be very helpful if y'all can provide the pros&con of DLP, D-LIA, LCD. Thanks again.
Old 12-11-00, 01:12 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by tvuong:
What would y'all suggest? DLP, LCD, D-ILA? Runco, Sony, Sharp, JVC, Dream Vision, etc...? Mucho thanks. It would be very helpful if y'all can provide the pros&con of DLP, D-LIA, LCD. Thanks again.<HR>

http://www.hometheatermag.com/showarchives.cgi?42
Old 12-11-00, 04:37 PM

For a few more years at least, I would still consider a used CRT FP as the best value for the best picture. In 2-5 years, there probably won't be any discussion, and the newer technologies will have CRT beat in just about any aspect. Of course with CRT you have more setup / maintenance to deal with ...

Cliff
Old 12-12-00, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>http://www.hometheatermag.com/showarchives.cgi?42<HR>

For one I have that issure. I that same issue they also review the Sony VW-10HT LCD projector and loved it. The Runco doens't even protray a true HDTV image. I've been shopping for one of these myself and found myself looking at about 3-4 choices.

Sony VW-10HT - Component in LCD 1000 Lumens 16:9 and 4:3

Infocus LP-340 or Infocus LP-350: (DLP) Both are extremely bright projectors. If you have poor control over ambient light these are top choices, but they don't have component video in which means if you buy that progressive scan DVD player you're wasting your money. They both use their own deinterlacer and scaler, which I hear aren't too bad though.

Vidikron LCD model: Faroujda line doublers make this a great looking projector, but it's not very bright at all. I was disappointed when looking at it. Expecially for the extra $3k over the Sony.

I'm pretty much sold on the Sony at this point, although I've heard tons about DILA and that they're just incredible. Kind of a cult following with those projectors. I think they start at about 10K though. If you have good control over room lighting and want to take advantage of true HDTV/pregressive scan pictures go with the Sony. For about $5500 you can have it brand new. As far as CRT goes, I'd stay away. Unless you're a certified techinician that can calibrate and tune those babies it's a waste. They need to be tuned every 6 months and the first time through will probably run you an couple extra hundred alone. With DLP/LCD/DILA setup is a breeze.

A better place to look for projector advice is www.avscience.com. They have a forum there that's thorough as hell, just search the place before submiting your "best under 10k" post, they're butts about repeat posts.

Good Luck.