Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What am I supposed to hear from my urrounf spakers?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

What am I supposed to hear from my urrounf spakers?

Old 12-11-00, 04:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey gang,

I'm about to install my first Dolby Digital HT set up and had a question before I started. What exactly am I supposed to hear from the surrounds? Should I be able to locate the sound that comes from them or should it be like an "omnipresent" sound that I can't locate? , or does it vary depending on the soundtrack? Like if there is a sound that circles around the action should I be able to hear go from the center to the left front to the left surround to the right surround. Hope that all made sense. Thanks,

Jay
Old 12-11-00, 04:29 AM
X
Administrator

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
I don't have a clue, but I love the topic!
Old 12-11-00, 06:44 AM
Cool New Member

I assume you're setting up 5.1/6.1 compatible equipment for Dobly Digital or DTS playback, right? With either of these formats you should hear "discreet" signals from your rear speakers, meaning that specific effects may be intended for the Right Rear, Left Rear or both. All that depends upon the intention of the effect of course. Pay particular attention to how you wire your speakers because improperly wiring you Pos/Neg at either the receiver end or the speaker end will change the intended effect. Have Fun!
Old 12-11-00, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It completely depends on the soundtrack, but most movies intend the surround track to be an indiscreet presence. The surround speakers themselves are intended to be installed above the listeners head, not pointed at the ears, to help disperse the sound and prevent localization. However, many action film soundtracks do have discreet panning and localized effects.
If you have installed your speakers correctly, it should be a seamless effect. Most of the time, you should not be aware that the surround speakers are on - it should be that seamless. When a panning/localized effect happens, it should startle you and be very noticeable.
Old 12-11-00, 01:09 PM

I'm not sure if this is a question about setting it up right or what it is going to sound like once you get it installed. Maybe you can clarify that?
Old 12-11-00, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There are some very cool effects that the surrounds reproduce. As it's already been stated "panning" effects and ambient sounds generally come from the surround channels.

Some good discs to adequately demonstrate this feature are:

Air Force One
The Matrix
Godzilla-1998
Jurassic Park
Star Trek Insurrection

Each one of these discs presents the kind of surround presence you are looking for.

Essentially, the rears should engluf you and place you squarely in the middle of the feature's audio textures.

Depending upon the type of film dialogue driven vs. straight out action, you may or may not experience this particular feature to a great degree but once it's engaged it can be pretty awesome!

------------------
Gojira

[This message has been edited by buckee1 (edited December 11, 2000).]
Old 12-11-00, 05:05 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by buckee1:
Some good discs to adequately demonstrate this feature are:

Air Force One
The Matrix
Godzilla-1998
Jurassic Park
Star Trek Insurrection

Each one of these discs presents the kind of surround presence you are looking for.
<HR>

I'll add one scene from Braveheart to this list. Early in the movie, when little Mel's father & brother go into the barn with all the you know what, they're startled by the sound of a bird flying around the rafters. That bird makes a perfect circle of my living room. My guests' jaws always drop.