Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking For A Sub (Around $300)

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Looking For A Sub (Around $300)

Old 12-08-00, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am ready to purchase a subwoofer for my home theater and was looking to get some opinions. I live in an apartment complex and therefore cannot have anything TOO big (don't want to disturb the neighbors too much). I was looking at the JBL 12" (PB12) sub (which can output a max 250W and is floor-firing). Any thoughts on this? Any other recommendations for around this price?

Much thanks in advance!

------------------
"PC Load Letter?!?"

My DVD Collection
Old 12-08-00, 07:53 PM

I was very pleased w/ the PB-12 and that is my Christmas present (a confirmed one!!!).

I think this is a wise choice for a sub in the price range you are talking about.

Also, might want to look into the Velodyne series (I think you can pick up a 10" for about the same price as the 12" JBL.
Old 12-08-00, 10:21 PM

In this price range, I would recommend the Mission 700AS or it's replacement, 700ASi. It's a 10 inch woof with 150W amp (100W with 700AS). The 700AS is one of two $500 subs that was recommended by Tom Nousaine of Sound and Vision, May 2000. http://www.soundandvisionmag.com under "Bargain Bassment".

Nousaine's measurements on the 700AS (source: print version of the above article):

LFE: 102dB at 25Hz (10% distortion, 2 metres in a large 7500 cu.ft. room, corner loaded)
Average SPL: 108.1dB between 25Hz-62Hz

For a good price (Canadian list on the 700ASi is around US$360), I recommend that you email Marc at http://www.audioshop.on.ca for a delivered price on a Mission 700ASi (just provide him with your postal/zip code). In July 2000, I had received a competitive quote from Marc. However, a B&M dealer that I was visiting had offered a slightly better deal for 2 Mission 700AS (US$650 including 14% taxes and shipping for 1 new and 1 repack). BTW, I too live in an apartment. Too bad that I can't turn it loud since the new landlords have implemented a no noise policy.

While JBL subs are good performers, they also have a reputation of poor reliability. Check out the reviews at http://www.audioreview.com

Dave

[This message has been edited by DavidY (edited December 08, 2000).]
Old 12-08-00, 11:05 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DavidY:
While JBL subs are good performers, they also have a reputation of poor reliability. Check out the reviews at http://www.audioreview.com <HR>

Actually, it was their PSW series that had the "amp problem" - a friend of mine went through 2 of them until the store he purchased it at offered him the PB-12. He is very impressed and has not had a single problem (knock on wood)...
Old 12-10-00, 05:52 PM

You might want to check out the Energy's. The Energy e:xl10 is a great sub and will certainly rock the house. It is a 10 inch sub with a 100 watt amplifier. The Mission subs are also good ones. I have had alot of experience with Energy subs and I have to say that they are really awesome subs. I have the E: 12XL sub and it kicks major butt. Hope this helps, good luck.
Old 12-11-00, 06:10 AM
Cool New Member

You would very impressed with a Klipsch KSW-12 for your apartment sized home theater. You can pick one up for around 250-275 these days, (check pricewatch.com for dealers). I have one in a living room of approx. 450sq.ft. and it is more than adequate. But being that it is a down-firing sub I wouldn't recommend it for upper level apartments. (Your lower neighbors will definitely hate you.)
Old 12-11-00, 01:23 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by BartleyR7:
I am ready to purchase a subwoofer for my home theater and was looking to get some opinions. I live in an apartment complex and therefore cannot have anything TOO big (don't want to disturb the neighbors too much). I was looking at the JBL 12" (PB12) sub (which can output a max 250W and is floor-firing). Any thoughts on this? Any other recommendations for around this price?

Much thanks in advance!

<HR>

Do you use your system to listen to music very often? Generally, a 10" offers a better mix if you listen to both movies and music than a 12". I had a Klipsch KSW-12 and found it acceptable for movies, but sub-par for most music.

Old 12-11-00, 01:32 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dominus:
Do you use your system to listen to music very often?<HR>

I don't listen to music on my main system too often. However, I don't want to compromise the quality when I do listen to my CDs, MP3s, and radio stations.

I'm currently waiting on a reply from Audioshop on the final price of the Mission 700ASi. However, I am still open to suggestions. I am currently torn between the Mission and the Klipsch.

Thanks for all the help so far!

------------------
"PC Load Letter?!?"

My DVD Collection
Old 12-11-00, 01:34 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by BartleyR7:
I don't listen to music on my main system too often. However, I don't want to compromise the quality when I do listen to my CDs, MP3s, and radio stations.

I'm currently waiting on a reply from Audioshop on the final price of the Mission 700ASi. However, I am still open to suggestions. I am currently torn between the Mission and the Klipsch.

Thanks for all the help so far!

<HR>

You probably want to go with a 10" then, you might want to check out the Velodyne CT-100.

Old 12-11-00, 02:28 PM

Just to throw something else into the mix here. Do you think the subs mentioned so far (Mission, Energy, Klipsch) have an amp (100W - 150W) that has enough power to power a couple of Aura Bass Shakers?

Is anybody using their sub amp to power these, or do you use an external amp?

------------------
"PC Load Letter?!?"

My DVD Collection
Old 12-11-00, 02:58 PM
Cool New Member

I wouldn't go with velodyne unless you are looking at their higher quality subs which the lowest runs $450. There is nothing special about CT-100, that you couldn't get in a low end sub made by JBL. If it came between the Klipsch and the Mission. I would go with the Mission. Unless you had bucks to spend then go with an HG Velodyne or an HSU.