Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony \/\/ega that good?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sony \/\/ega that good?

Old 12-04-00, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You mean turn Velocity Modulation OFF or ON? I can tell when it's on - to me - it almost makes me dizzy because all edges are sharp but everything INSIDE them is fuzzyish. And I get a lot of noise if the sharpness/contrast goes up past halfway....so ...don't know what to do.

~ELmO
Old 12-04-00, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by guybrush:
You mean turn Velocity Modulation OFF or ON? I can tell when it's on - to me - it almost makes me dizzy because all edges are sharp but everything INSIDE them is fuzzyish. And I get a lot of noise if the sharpness/contrast goes up past halfway....so ...don't know what to do.

~ELmO
<HR>

Sorry, that was a typo. Turn Velocity Modulation OFF.

------------------
Dave My DVDs(Not updated anymore since DVD Tracker uncooly started charging). My Humble Home Theatre
Old 12-05-00, 01:35 AM
X
Administrator

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
And I would suggest sharpness just a little less than half way up. I was using Avia last night and found this to be the best setting on my set. Funny, I'm used to turning down sharpness all the way on my HDTV set. But the Wega was definitely unsharp and fuzzy at the lower ranges. And very nicely sharp without false edges just below the center setting.
Old 12-05-00, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

We looked at a lot of TVs when our resident Magnavox died last month. We were leaning towards the 36" models but were torn because we absolutely loved the picture on the 32" Wega. As it turns out, BB didn't have the 36" Toshiba we had decided on and the manager agreed to meet us halfway on the price of the 32" Wega. After an additional 10% discount coupon we RAN out of there with that Wega for a little over $700. By far it's the best picture quality on that size screen we've ever seen.

[This message has been edited by indianajdp (edited December 05, 2000).]
Old 12-05-00, 11:50 AM

For normal cable?
I bought the 32 inch Toshiba and returned it, the velocity scan modulation really made me dizzy..I really can't stand the sharpness of everyone/fuzzyness INSIDE the sharped edges. If contrast near half or past it, I had a lot of noise in the picture. I had gotten a "clean smooth" picture by lowering the sharpness, but then it wasn't very sharp...The WEGAs I saw again about 5-7 feet away didn't look very good - from far away looked great. I guess I will opt for a nice 27 inch set or 25...any advice? I mainly just watch normal cable, PLAY VIDEO GAMES also.

Thanks,
ELmO
Old 12-05-00, 12:07 PM

A 32" Wega for $700 is a great price.
What was the model number?
Was the TV an open box item?
Old 12-05-00, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by sinamin:
A 32" Wega for $700 is a great price.
What was the model number?
Was the TV an open box item?
<HR>

Here's how we got it that low.
Wanted a $700 Toshiba but it was OOS.
Saw the $900 32" Wega...asked him if he'd meet us halfway on the price deifference bewteen the Wega and the TV we originally wanted...he agreed = $110 off to $790.
We then used our 10% off coupon to get it down to $710 and they also threw in a free TV stand. Brand new, unopened product.

Definitely not a price we ever would have expected.

Old 12-06-00, 10:59 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by X:
And I would suggest sharpness just a little less than half way up. I was using Avia last night and found this to be the best setting on my set. Funny, I'm used to turning down sharpness all the way on my HDTV set. But the Wega was definitely unsharp and fuzzy at the lower ranges. And very nicely sharp without false edges just below the center setting.<HR>

I have to say I was seeing the same thing with my 36" Wega. It just seems very strange to not have the sharpness all the way down.

Old 12-11-00, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Tau's should be out this week or next!
Old 02-19-01, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

anyone see the TAU's yet? although they have the 32 inch version the 20, 24, and 27 have been delayed. Best Buy online has them listed but they don't have them instore yet...at least by me.
Old 02-19-01, 02:18 AM

the best buy i work at has the 27" tau on display. Its been there for almost 3 months, we got a few initial shipments but we havent gotten any in for like 2 months and customers always want it. From what i heard they brought it out for customers to see and delayed the introduction or something like that. The colors are ALOT nicer than the 27" wega, but i am sure it's settings are un-natural. I believe the wega is closer to the 6500k bullcrap. Also the tau doesn't have 16x9 mode, so i dont like that. Any other q's? drop a line.
Old 02-19-01, 05:05 AM

Personally, I did not like the Panasonic very much. Don't get me wrong, it was a pretty good set. While I was shopping for a 27" Flat Screen it was either the Wega or the Tau. Luckily the local Best Buy and them set-up right next to each other so I could do a little playin around. After having the associate feed me a bunch of crap about both of the units (basically saying "get the Sony because it is a Sony") I was able to mess really examine both TVs. After realizing that some Best Buy idiot (no offense to any BB employees) could not tell a Sony DVD remote from a Sony TV remote, I had to use the remote from the other Wega that was on display next to the one I was interested in.

Anyways, after close examination (understanding that both were not properly calibrated and the source that I was viewing was not the best) the colors from the Sony seemed a little more rich and defined. Not really so much to make up my mind but in conjunction with the Tau not being able to do the "squeeze" the Sony was an easy buy for me.
Old 02-20-01, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

thanks for the info...guess i'll have to wait until i can compare them both side by side.
Old 02-20-01, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by guybrush
Hark! Ho! I went to Best Buy (TM) to view some Sony Wegas, I was not that impressed! Although I did notice sharpness on the 36 inch WEGA, the one I wanted (in my price range/room size) was the 24 inch..and did not seem to be that different from the other brand name companies sitting beside it.
Here's a point to remember when you're looking at TV's in showrooms. When I was comparing an HDTV to the VVega, my favorite TV salesman advised me that it's hard to compare, mostly because the digital feeds in showrooms are generally generated in-house, and that even the "cable" feeds are not always the best.

So what you saw may have been due to a poorly tuned (or untuned) set AND crummy feeds.

I went for the VVega, and I love it. PS2 is fantastic on it, and even the basic quality TiVo is good.