Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Samsung 53" Progressive Scan TV and Progressive DVD question?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Samsung 53" Progressive Scan TV and Progressive DVD question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-00, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just bought a Samsung 53" Progressive Scan Television Model PCJ533RF at 800.com. I‘m thinking about replacing my 2 year old Toshiba DVD with progressive scan DVD player, but I'm not sure if it would be worth the extra cost with this TV. It only has one set of Component Video Inputs and they are not HD. Any suggestions.
Old 12-04-00, 06:32 PM

Does anyone have this TV because I don't understand how a progressive scan DVD players works. I don't want to buy a progressive scan DVD player if I will not see a big improvement. I know this TV converts all incoming signals to 480P, but if I attach a progressive scan DVD player to it how does the TV know that the player is progressive.

Also does anyone have any good links to sites that get into more detail about progressive scan DVD players.
Old 12-05-00, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There should be an input on the TV labeled progressive-scan component input. This input only recognized progressive-scan sources. The DVD player will have a progressive-scan output. (This will be in addition to interlaced outputs like component, s-video, and composite outputs.) So, it should be as easy as just hooking up the prog-scan out to the prog-scan in, and you're done.

The improvement in picture quality should be significant: you should get a much clearer picture and it should be well worth the money. However, I have heard that some of the non-HD prog-scan TVs have problems displaying the prog-scan material. Some problems include a recurring screen blackout (as if the signal is temporarily lost for an instant). Another problem is of 4:3 TVs displays the 16:9 anamorphic ratio, causing images to look distorted or unnatural. Be sure that you will not encounter these or any other problems. Since you'll already have the TV, buy a prog-scan DVD player and if it doesn't work satisfactory, return it.
Old 12-05-00, 06:35 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DigIt:
There should be an input on the TV labeled progressive-scan component input. This input only recognized progressive-scan sources. The DVD player will have a progressive-scan output. (This will be in addition to interlaced outputs like component, s-video, and composite outputs.) So, it should be as easy as just hooking up the prog-scan out to the prog-scan in, and you're done.

The improvement in picture quality should be significant: you should get a much clearer picture and it should be well worth the money. However, I have heard that some of the non-HD prog-scan TVs have problems displaying the prog-scan material. Some problems include a recurring screen blackout (as if the signal is temporarily lost for an instant). Another problem is of 4:3 TVs displays the 16:9 anamorphic ratio, causing images to look distorted or unnatural. Be sure that you will not encounter these or any other problems. Since you'll already have the TV, buy a prog-scan DVD player and if it doesn't work satisfactory, return it.
<HR>

I just returned from BB where I checked out the back of a Pioneer progressive scan DVD player (DV-434). All I saw on the back was the usual Composite, S-Video, and Component outputs. I did not see any extra set of components outputs.

Does that mean that you can't hook up this players component outputs to a TV with progressive scan capabilities?

Confused....
Old 12-10-00, 09:22 PM

Well the TV was delivered Thursday and as I was hooking up the DVD player to the component in on the TV. I found that the Toshiba DVD player that I got back in 98 does not have component out so it looks like I'm getting a new DVD player. I think I’m going to go with the Pioneer DV434 mainly because of the price and because it will play CD-R's. I know that it's not the best progressive player, but for $299 without any coupons I don't think I can pass it up. Also if anyone is thinking about getting a big screen TV the Samsung PCJ533RF is a great deal. I was able to pick it up for $1279 at 800.com after using the 20% off Passport and 5% off Citibank coupons that I found in the bargain forum. The picture on it is great as long as I use the S-video output on my Dish Network Displayer, or DVD player. However any other connections are very pixilated but still viewable, and in my opinion better than any none progressive TV I’ve ever seen.

[This message has been edited by bfuerst (edited December 11, 2000).]