Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

New processor now seeing green screen or get sound but no picture (black screen)

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

New processor now seeing green screen or get sound but no picture (black screen)

Old 10-28-19, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My old processor died and I bought a Yamaha RX-A2080 to replace it. My Blu ray player is an OPPPO BDP-103 and my monitor is a 65" Mitsubishi DLP. Everything started out well but some times when I pushed the stop button on the BR player remote I would get a green screen on my monitor (not blue or black). I have to turn the BR player off and back on to get rid of it. I put in the BR for John Wick 3 and the previews play fine but the top menu has sound but a black screen. Same problem with the Avengers Endgame and 3 From Hell. I called the company that I bough the processor from and they said I needed newer HDMI cables than I had as there is something like copy guard on the new discs. It did seem that it was only the newer BD's that I was having this problem with so I got them. I hooked up today with the new HDMI cables (ones they recommended) and 3 From Hell now plays fine but the others show the green screen or have sound with no picture. The company has no other idea as to what this could be. Could it be a compatibility issue with my new processor and my OPPO? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-28-19, 05:57 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: New processor now seeing green screen or get sound but no picture (black screen)

What kind of HDMI cables did you get? That does sound like the a copy guard issue. You need to make sure the cables are High-Speed HDMI 18 Gbit/s maximum bandwidth of the HDMI 2.0 specification. Which really should be most HDMI cables being sold right now. But a lot of them are still the older ones that only process up to 1080p.
Old 10-28-19, 08:57 PM

Re: New processor now seeing green screen or get sound but no picture (black screen)

This is what they show on the website:

latest HDMI version 2.0b features:
  • supports 4K/60Hz and HDR (18 Gbps maximum bandwidth)
  • bi-directional Ethernet communication with compatible components
  • ARC (Audio Return Channel) for sending Dolby® Digital sound from the TV back to an A/V receiver
Old 10-28-19, 10:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Sounds like those should work. Next step would be to try different HDMI inputs, especially on the new receiver. see if they all yield the same result. If so, it may be the receiver.
Old 10-29-19, 08:24 AM

Thanks for the suggestion E Unit. I'll give that a try.