Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HORRIBLE News: CMC bought TY from JVC.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HORRIBLE News: CMC bought TY from JVC.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-18, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts
Re: HORRIBLE News: CMC bought TY from JVC.

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
I use a ton of flash drives for hi-res music dl's played through my Oppo. In my experience, we're seeing the same decline here as in disc quality. At this time the Corsair Slider is the only semi budget Flash Drive I will buy. Previously reliable brands Lexar & Sandisk have especially turned to garbage in my experience.
Against my better judgement, I picked up a 128GB Sandisk usb3 flash drive over the weekend at costco. It turned out to also be a dud, which died in the middle of formatting. So I immediately went back to costco to do an exchange.

As a general rule, I always do a full fledge format on every newly purchased flash drive to check whether there's any immediate problems out of the box. A "simple format" is no longer good enough imho for flashdrives of highly variable manufacturing quality.

On the exchanged 128GB flashdrive, it took TWO HOURS to do a fully fledged format even with the flashdrive plugged into the USB3 jack.

Blah! Blah! Blah!

At this point I have to wonder whether I'm better off looking into external solid state drives, for more consistent quality control and less garbage.
Old 10-24-18, 08:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
Blah. (More rambling).

The computer optical drive market is slowly dying. Though this shouldn't be too surprising to anyone.

No more Samsung/Toshiba manufactured drives on the shelves of local computer stores. Not surprising either, considering the Samsung/Toshiba TSST operation filed for bankruptcy back in 2016. (Newegg doesn't even carry TSST dvd drives anymore. Only third party dealers).

Just noticed recently that ASUS is no longer "rebadging" LiteOn dvdr drives. I dropped by a local computer store and picked up a new ASUS generic dvdr drive, which from appearances looked like an LG rebadge. I did some further checks (ie. extracting firmware, various code numbers, etc ...), and concluded that is was most likely a dvdr drive manufactured by LG. The only thing good I can say about it, is that this ASUS version does not have the aggravating "jamless play" LG behavior.

For that matter, I haven't seen any LiteOn manufactured drives (whether real or rebadged) on the shelves of local computer stores, in over a year or so. (The last few LiteOn drives I purchased a year ago, was at a local computer store chain which filed for bankruptcy at the beginning of this year).

Also noticed Pioneer doesn't manufacture their own dvdr drives anymore either. Apparently Pioneer's current dvdr drive model on the asian and european markets, is basically also an LG manufactured rebadge.

So if there's a "last man standing" in the computer optical disc drive market, it is LG manufactured drives with its own fatal diseases!
Far as I'm concerned it's been going downhill since HD-DVD support instantly disappeared from the market. No other optical format ever lost support from PC drives that quick. Always pissed me off.

Games stopped using discs. Now that we can install OSes with USB flash drives, it makes sense for disc drives to die. I just hope game consoles get the fucking message and use flash memory for physical releases next gen.
Old 10-25-18, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Viper187
Far as I'm concerned it's been going downhill since HD-DVD support instantly disappeared from the market. No other optical format ever lost support from PC drives that quick. Always pissed me off.
It's unfortunate that nobody wanted to pay any additional patent/royalty fees to include hd-dvd functionality into computer optical disc drives. Though not surprising in the end. (ie. Nobody wants to carry slow moving or "dead" inventory).

At this point the only reason I can see computer cd/dvd drives still being manufactured, is largely because of cd and dvd being ubiquitous in the recent past and most of the dvd patents expiring over the next several years. (The cd patents expired a long time ago).
Old 10-26-18, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

I think people will regret it when optical discs become phased-out. Where else can you get reliable, portable 4.7 GBs for $.30?

USB sticks are a minimum 8GB (at least store-bought commercial versions) and still run about $5-$6 each. They are often unreliable and also subject to a lot more compatibility issues with Windows and Mac and the various new and old operating systems.
Old 10-26-18, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by orangerunner
I think people will regret it when optical discs become phased-out. Where else can you get reliable, portable 4.7 GBs for $.30?
The good stuff was more like 50 cents pop (ie. JVC TY before the CMC buyout + blasphemy).

For old timers, I think I would miss optical discs (speaking for myself).

USB sticks are a minimum 8GB (at least store-bought commercial versions) and still run about $5-$6 each. They are often unreliable and also subject to a lot more compatibility issues with Windows and Mac and the various new and old operating systems.
For the millenials and younger, they probably wouldn't give a damn. Yesterdays trash is tossed away for a new phone.
Old 11-02-18, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

I get 25 GBs of space for $0.30. Can't beat that, BD-Rs are cheap and great for (temporary!!?) storage. I've still got BD-Rs that read back OK after 8-9 years, so even if reliability of current BD-Rs is crap (like non-TY DVD+R and CD-R), which it probably is, I might get 5 years out of these $0.30 Plexdisc BD-Rs.
Old 11-02-18, 07:55 PM
Cool New Member

What's the good BD-R. I need 25-pk.
Old 11-03-18, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Over Halloween I watched several DVD-Rs that I burned way back in 2001. All played perfectly.
In 2001 I picked up a standalone Panasonic recorder to plug a VCR into and transfer tapes to disc.
The discs were Fuji manufactured in Japan. They were $3.50 per disc. Came in a 10 pack for $35.00. Each disc came in it's own jewel case.
Didn't mind so much because I sold the tapes on ebay for $30-50 each. So long ago that I didn't even put up pictures with the ebay listings. Made a profit and had the movies in a disc format.
Now these same tapes go for $10 or less. Still have never gotten a DVD or BD release.

Anyway, we know the older quality DVD media from Japan is good for at least 17 years.
Old 11-03-18, 12:48 PM
Cool New Member

I think I will buy more DVD media than the Blu-ray.
Old 11-03-18, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I've had no problem keeping quality burned media playable after 20 years. Both CD-Rs and DVD-Rs that still run perfectly after all these years.
Old 11-05-18, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ohyeahbabyblu
What's the good BD-R. I need 25-pk.
Those of my BD-R media mentioned above which have lasted 9 years are Optical Quantum. I find that brand to be most reliable. But, the most important thing to consider, I think, is that storage conditions should be as consistent as possible, with humidity kept low and the media should be kept in a dark place, as I've done with all of my burnt media. ALWAYS, always burn your BD-R media at SLOW speed. I use 2x speed and have always used that speed and the results have been good, even on crappy media like Optodisc (some of which I have that are now 5 years old and still play well). Memorex was the absolute worse quality in BD-R media, but even most of those that I burned in 2009-10 still play today.

I've still got TY DVD+R from 2002-03 which play perfectly and which still have low PI scores when scanned. The oldest CD-R I have is from 1996 and it still plays without noticable defect in my Pioneer CD player! Not sure of the brand, but I'd guess TY.
Old 10-30-19, 03:53 PM

On a wimper, Mitsubishi sold their Verbatim blank discs manufacturing operations to CMC several months ago.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14597...rom-mitsubishi

In practice, most of Verbatim's blanks discs were largely shit. Now with CMC buying it up, now Verbaim is definitve total shit.

Are there still any acceptable blank discs manufacturers left?
Old 10-30-19, 03:59 PM

If CMC manufactured blank discs become the norm, this does not bode well at all for official dvd-mod or bluray-mod releases which are burned.

For example, such as many current Fox released tv show season sets.
Old 10-30-19, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd guess there are no more reliable DVD-R and CD-R manufacturers left. I still see people trading their old stock they've hoarded for just such a situation.
Old 10-30-19, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I'd guess there are no more reliable DVD-R and CD-R manufacturers left. I still see people trading their old stock they've hoarded for just such a situation.
Blah. I don't even do this anymore.

Awhile ago my gf depleted my remaining stash of TY blank discs, to rip/burn a bunch of dumb tv shows and movies for several of her friends (without telling me). Dumb stuff like the entire Sex and the City series, etc ....

I already stopped buying Verbatim crap and don't currently have any. Not even worth hording at all.
Old 10-30-19, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

People are no longer burning media? How can not a SINGLE good, reliable company remain? It is truly a sad, sad day. Or, is it, as I suspect, companies just cheapening out as usual and selling out to the cheapest bidder?

There HAS to still be a market for good blank media. How can there not be? Digital is "forever" unlike analogue, so why aren't there any good blank media left? It's sad that 40-year-old VHS tape is now more reliable than 2 or 3 year-old CMC media. There's something truly foul in Denmark.

Someone will hopefully step in to remedy the situation. Is it really that much more expensive to make GOOD quality blank media as opposed to shit? It can't be, at least not that much more. 10-20%?
Old 10-30-19, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Someone will hopefully step in to remedy the situation. Is it really that much more expensive to make GOOD quality blank media as opposed to shit? It can't be, at least not that much more. 10-20%?
Even if all the patents are expired, I suspect this is still a very capital intensive manufacturing operation with high upfront and ongoing costs.

For example, you would probably have pay a full time salary for a professional chemical engineer who knows what they're doing in such a manufacturing operation + quality control. (ie. Amateurs need not apply).
Old 10-31-19, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's viewed as mature technology with a rapidly dwindling user base. That leads to a race for the bottom, cutting costs wherever you can find them.
Old 10-31-19, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

In my experience the CMC version of the JVC/Taiyo discs have been problem-free - at least so far. As for other decent brands, there is still Falcon, made in the United Emirates or Opto Disc, sold through VinPower and made in Taiwan.
Old 10-31-19, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've found opto disc to be pretty good as well. Never heard of Falcon. As to hiring of those chemical engineers, etc, where did all those great people who worked at TY go? They must still want jobs and want to offer their services. I'd suppose many were put out of work by TYs closure, so they could always go to work for CMC to change the bad image of that brand around. About 15 years ago, some CMC discs were actually decent quality, but they've all devolved by now.

As to mature technology with dwindling user base, for CD-Rs, sure, maybe DVD-R also, but I'm not so sure about BD-R. People shooting video on their high-def camera might want a reliable media to back them up on, and, not to mention the backing up of purchased Blu-ray movies for trips, the car, etc.
Old 10-31-19, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by zyzzle
As to hiring of those chemical engineers, etc, where did all those great people who worked at TY go? They must still want jobs and want to offer their services. I'd suppose many were put out of work by TYs closure, so they could always go to work for CMC to change the bad image of that brand around.
Chemical engineers (or chemists) have plenty of other options, besides cd-r/dvd-r/bluray-r companies.

For example, folks with such chemistry qualifications can work at a phrama company in the pills manufacturing factories.
Old 10-31-19, 06:51 PM

Opto Disc, sold through VinPower and made in Taiwan.
Vinpower is possibly the only cd/dvd/bluray company left which might actually still give a damn about quality in principle. Though I don't know if they would have the financial resources to run a huge capital intensive manufacturing operation.

For example, Vinpower actually still does semi-regular updates of the firmware for their rebadges of LiteON/LG/Pioneer dvd and bluray drives.