Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Does ANYONE know anything about Wharfedale speakers for HT?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Does ANYONE know anything about Wharfedale speakers for HT?

Old 12-08-00, 09:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm contemplating purchasing a pair of Wharfedale Emerald 97s for home theater use (from Amazon) but have absolutely no idea how they fare for home theater use. There are a few reviews on audioreviews.com, but they don't so much as mention HT (although they do indicate it's a great speaker). Any thoughts?

------------------
I've found Classicman's level of political understanding, and I'm living far above it!

GO LOOK AT MY EXCITING DVD COLLECTION BECAUSE I KNOW YOU CARE!
Old 12-08-00, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wharfedale = poor man's B&W

I have heard they do not sound bad for the money, but no where near the B&W's they are trying to copy.
Old 12-08-00, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not the Emerald's you're looking at, but...

I have a pair of Wharfedale's Modus 2 and a Modus Music Center. I'm using them up front and RadioShack's Optimus Pro-LX5s for surrounds. They're hooked up to a Sony DB930.

I got them from Ubid; Modus 2 for $100 shipped and the center for $100 shipped.
For this price, they're a great speaker. I would pay twice as much for them without an argument. I would not pay the price most places sell them for.

------------------

Dan

My ever-growing DVD list.
Old 12-08-00, 01:37 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by 4KRG:
Wharfedale = poor man's B&W

I have heard they do not sound bad for the money, but no where near the B&W's they are trying to copy.
<HR>

Honestly, 4KRG, I'm not looking to disagree with you all the time...

I have Wharfedale Sapphire 87's all-around in my home theatre (although I use a Klipsch KSW-12 sub), and I've been very happy with them. 2 important notes: 1. Bi-wiring them is essential. 2. Positioning is essential. I'm not sure about the Emerald line, but the Sapphires use an off-set tweeter, which makes the 'sweet spot' a bit harder to find, but they rival any other speaker I've listened to (including Infinity, Klipsch KLF's, Paradigm, and Energy's).

Can't say I've ever auditioned B&W's, but for the price you can get Wharfedale's at, they're by far the best value for money out there, IMHO.
Old 12-08-00, 02:04 PM
Banned

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Bollux:

I have Wharfedale Sapphire 87's all-around in my home theatre (although I use a Klipsch KSW-12 sub), and I've been very happy with them. 2 important notes: 1. Bi-wiring them is essential. 2. Positioning is essential. I'm not sure about the Emerald line, but the Sapphires use an off-set tweeter, which makes the 'sweet spot' a bit harder to find, but they rival any other speaker I've listened to (including Infinity, Klipsch KLF's, Paradigm, and Energy's).

Can't say I've ever auditioned B&W's, but for the price you can get Wharfedale's at, they're by far the best value for money out there, IMHO.
<HR>

Thanks for the feedback. The reason I'm asking is because everything I've heard indicates the Wharfedales are EXCELLENT speakers for music. Unfortunately, in my experience, speakers that excel for music are not so fantastic for home theater applications. I'm planning to use these for both (albeit more to the home theater side) so wanted to get a sense of where things stand.

------------------
I've found Classicman's level of political understanding, and I'm living far above it!

Old 12-08-00, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Bollux:

<HR>

I could be biased as I own B&W's and am very pleased with them for HT and music. Many folks have told me the Wharfedale is an inferrior copy. But I have never heard them.
Old 12-08-00, 08:21 PM
Banned

Argh.. I contacted someone who reviewed them on Audioreview.com and though they said they were audiophile-class for music, they probably wouldn't cut it for HT.

------------------