DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Sony 40" 3D TV? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/628811-sony-40-3d-tv.html)

OldBoy 09-26-15 01:34 PM

Sony 40" 3D TV?

can someone point me to a 3D TV about 40" or so on Amazon or Best Buy's sites? also, needs to have at least 4 HDMI ports...

i'm trying to search, but coming up empty...

thanks in advance.

Spiky 09-26-15 09:03 PM

Re: Sony 40" 3D TV?

I can only remember seeing one product line that had 4 HDMI. I believe it was Samsung. Most only have 2. The JU6500 series, for instance. But that isn't 3D, have to go to the $1300 JU7500 for that.

They seem to have moved the 4 HDMI group to the 4K only. Maybe you can find one you like.

coyoteblue 09-26-15 11:36 PM

Get the 3d TV you want and then spend a bit more and get a HDMI switch. I use one (four ports) and it does the job. Get one with auto-switch capability. Search Amazon for 'hdmi switch' or 'hdmi switch hub'.

TomOpus 09-27-15 08:52 AM

I agree about the switch. I had one of my ports go out do I just bought a 3-port switch. They're not very expensive.

Psi 09-27-15 09:10 AM

I am curious about these switches. Many of them have a remote control. What is the remote control used for if the switch has auto-switch capability?

OldBoy 09-27-15 09:49 AM

good points and thanks for help. the switch is probably the answer, now to find a 3D 40 for mancave...

Eddie W 09-27-15 10:22 AM

3D Tv's are getting hard to find. And never had much in the smaller TV market to begin with. Look in the 50" and up & you'll find a few. Here is a 50" with 4 HDMI inputs for $800. Though I would probably go up to the 55" for an extra $100.

Sony 50" 3D TV

OldBoy 09-27-15 11:08 AM

^ i actually have that in my wish list. might be the way to go. thanks...

Spiky 09-27-15 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Psi (Post 12599689)
I am curious about these switches. Many of them have a remote control. What is the remote control used for if the switch has auto-switch capability?

For user choice.

E Unit 09-27-15 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Psi (Post 12599689)

I use this 3in1 Cirago switch I got from Fry's for $14.99. They also had a 4in1. Comes with a little remote, but my Harmony remote was able to detect the brand, so it automatically switches that way.

I didn't know there are some switches that automatically switch over. What if two devices plugged in are on?

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/i...psahhxyavt.jpg

coyoteblue 09-27-15 02:04 PM

The way auto-switching works:

You have two devices plugged into the switch/hub
One device is on, the other off
You turn the off device on
The switch/hub automatically switches over to the device you turned on and that picture is displayed
To go back to the previous device, use the remote or do it manually

OldBoy 09-27-15 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie W (Post 12599732)
3D Tv's are getting hard to find. And never had much in the smaller TV market to begin with. Look in the 50" and up & you'll find a few. Here is a 50" with 4 HDMI inputs for $800. Though I would probably go up to the 55" for an extra $100.

Sony 50" 3D TV

yup. i think i'm getting this soon, but can't tell if this TV is active or passive 3D...

E Unit 09-27-15 04:30 PM

Sony is usually active.

OldBoy 09-27-15 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by trespoochies (Post 12600177)
Sony is usually active.

so that means plug-in glasses? and don't people get motion sickness from active? not sure i dig that...

E Unit 09-27-15 04:37 PM

Yes, you'll have to do the plug-in glasses. Not sure about the motion sickness thing, but my eyes don't strain anywhere near as much with active. That's why I picked up a Sharp a few years ago. That was the only drawback, getting plug-in glasses. But the presentation looks damn good, I'd say so even more than passive.

OldBoy 09-27-15 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by trespoochies (Post 12600185)
Yes, you'll have to do the plug-in glasses. Not sure about the motion sickness thing, but my eyes don't strain anywhere near as much with active. That's why I picked up a Sharp a few years ago. That was the only drawback, getting plug-in glasses. But the presentation looks damn good, I'd say so even more than passive.

so active is better 3D picture than passive and not as much eye strain? i like that. my living room tv is passive and it always looked good, but guess i don't know the difference. i just don't want eye strain and want the glasses to be as comfortable as the passive cheap ones...

Eddie W 09-27-15 05:12 PM

Active is better in that you get full 1080p resolution. But more susceptible to eye strain because the glasses flicker. Passive is easier on the eyes, but the polarized glasses mean you only get 540p because it halves the resolution. They fixed that with the new 4K sets because it halves the 2160p rez, so you can finally get passive at 1080p. But I think LG is the lone manufacturer of 4k passive 3D now.

OldBoy 09-27-15 06:22 PM

well, thanks to others, Eddie and tres...my new mancave includes:

Sony 50" 3D HDTV:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....9yL._SX90_.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....99L._SX90_.jpg
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....2BL._SY90_.jpg

now to just get it put up by family handyman. gonna swing that expense as my bday present. yay!

OldBoy 09-28-15 06:13 PM

can i use any brand of active 3D glasses or only Sony brand? will Samsung work with Sony TV?

OldBoy 09-29-15 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 12601271)
can i use any brand of active 3D glasses or only Sony brand? will Samsung work with Sony TV?

anyone?

OldBoy 09-29-15 06:32 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/scott1598/tv.jpg

i don't know what this Playstation thing is all about, but sounds intriguing. i would like to play Uncharted somehow...

E Unit 09-29-15 09:51 PM

PlayStation Now is expensive, $19.99/month I believe.

OldBoy 09-30-15 05:13 AM

Yeah, I'm probably just gonna buy the individual titles I want.

tres...any word on which brand glasses I can use? Only the Sony or will any active work?

E Unit 09-30-15 08:55 PM

The short answer - perhaps.

I researched this back when I got my first 3D in 2012 and basically got frustrated in finding out that every brand at that time made it so you had to buy Sony glasses for Sony TV, Sharp glasses for Sharp TV, etc. A few years later, I rummaged around to see if it changed, and "perhaps" is about as close an answer as I could get. So my suggestion, unless you can find a pair that specifically says it works on Sony 3D, just get Sony 3D glasses.

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Wi...ny-3D-TV.shtml

Dear Big Picture Big Sound,

I've had a 3D TV (Panasonic TC-P65VT60) for a couple of years, but don't use the 3D feature that much. One reason is that the TV only came with two pairs of 3D glasses and there are 4 people in the family. I'm interested in picking up a few more pairs of glasses so we could all watch 3D together. Looking around online, the original Panasonic glasses are hard to find, and are pretty expensive (over $50/pair). But Samsung makes some cheaper ones (under $20/pair) that look pretty good.

Can I use the Samsung 3D glasses with my Panasonic 3D TV? Will there be any drawbacks in doing so?

Thanks,

-Joe

Hello, Joe,

The answer to that question is, "it depends." It depends on the specific glasses and the model and brand of TV you are using. When 3D TVs were new, every manufacturer had their own way of synchronizing their TVs with the 3D glasses in order to create a 3D image. Synchronization is critical because it assures that the left eye sees the left eye image and the right eye sees the right eye image, and this gives you the illusion of stereoscopic 3D.

This lack of a universal standard led to some confusion, including a ridiculous article that stated that you could use Samsung 3D glasses with Panasonic TVs if you wore them upside down. The real issue there was that the glasses were synchronized to the wrong TV which led to them be one frame off: the left eye was getting the right eye signal, and vice versa. But even if you wore the glasses upside down, a Panasonic 3D TV from 2010 or 2011 could not activate a pair of Samsung 3D glasses, nor could a Samsung TV from 2010 or 2011 turn on a pair of Panasonic 3D glasses.

In 2012, things got better with the adoption of the Full HD 3D RF standard. With this standard, glasses are synchronized with the 3D TV using Bluetooth which is a form of RF (Radio Frequency) instead of the old method of IR (Infrared) synchronization. RF is inherently a better way to synchronize the signal because it doesn't lose synch if you turn your head, leave the room for a moment or move a little further away from the TV. Also, by making the communication adhere to a standard, it is possible to use one brand's 3D glasses with another brand's 3D TV. Samsung, in particular, makes some very affordable active 3D glasses (under $20/pair, as you mentioned), while some other manufacturers charge $50 or even $100 for a pair.

OldBoy 10-01-15 05:05 AM

Thanks again tres!