Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Multi-Disc DVD doubling as a CD player?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Multi-Disc DVD doubling as a CD player?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-00, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am considering buying my first dvd player this christmas and am interested in a multi-disc players in the $200-$350 range.

The attraction of a multi-disc player is that I can replace my cd player. At least, that's my hope. Do dvd players do a good job on cds in terms of quality of sound & features?

In particular, am looking at the Panasonic DVD-CV50. Feedback on this particular model?

Thanks for helping a DVD newbie

------------------
Old 12-07-00, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 390 Likes on 279 Posts
DVD changers generally have a much better laser pickup than the standard CD changer. Your average 5 disc DVD changer would kick the heck out CD changer. You won't regret going with a 5 DVD changer vs a DVD single player.

The laser needs to hae a beter pickup due to the smaller pits in a DVD vs CD FWIW. Welcome to the forum!
Old 12-07-00, 02:10 PM
Banned

quote:<HR>Originally posted by jpcamb:
DVD changers generally have a much better laser pickup than the standard CD changer. Your average 5 disc DVD changer would kick the heck out CD changer. You won't regret going with a 5 DVD changer vs a DVD single player.

The laser needs to hae a beter pickup due to the smaller pits in a DVD vs CD FWIW. Welcome to the forum!
<HR>

The laser pickup has nothing to do with the CD playing quality. Yes DVD laser pickups are held to higher tollerances, but that doesn't mean that they are any better for playback of CDs. The best multy disk DVD players have dual pickups, one for DVDs and one for CDs. In the price rance you are looking at, you will see no difference in from your current CD player. The units that will sound better with CDs are the ones like the Denon DVM-3700, that has a far superior D/A converter than most.
Old 12-07-00, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ardnek,

I have that exact DVD changer. As a DVD player, I absolutely love it. I think it performs better than my old Toshiba 3109 by quite a bit. I also love being able to put 5 DVDs into the thing and watching them at my convenience...it's not that useful for movies, but for special DVDs like the Monty Python set, it is a great feature.

As for it's CD functionality, I would have to say it's just a basic changer. I say this based upon the fact that it is my primary CD player and that I play CDs very frequently. First off, it takes quite a long time to load up CDs...up to 10 seconds sometimes. Second, it does not read CD-Rs....which I have quite a large collection of. Third and last, it's programming abilities have a lot to be desired compared to my old Technics 5-Disc CD changer. I plan on picking up a 200-Disc CD only changer to replace this machine as my primary CD player.

One big plus, however, is the DAC on this thing is awesome...it easily surpasses my old Technics' DAC. However, it's a moot point since I use the DAC on my receiver.