Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Best bargain DD/DTS receiver from Amazon

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Best bargain DD/DTS receiver from Amazon

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-00, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey everyone, any help would be appreciated. I'm looking to use my $150 MCI gift certificate (see bargain forum if you haven't checked this out yet, it's an awesome deal), along with a $50 off $200 coupon and free shipping (through Sunday) at Amazon to get a Dolby Digital/DTS receiver real cheap (around $100)! I've been waiting for a while, and figured in 2001 I'd buy one for around $1000 - but with the new 7-channel formats cropping up, and this GC/coupon/free shipping deal burning a hole in my pocket, I decided to get DD/DTS now and upgrade in a few years.
I've been looking between the JVC RX-6500VBK receiver and the Pioneer VSX-D509S receiver - both are very similar in features, both are currently $299, but I'm leaning towards the Pioneer because it's got a couple of extra features, and it's more heavily discounted (31% off list price vs. 9% off).
If anyone has any input on either of these units, or a recommendation for something else at Amazon (damn! no Onkyo!), I'd sure appreciate it!

------------------
"Keep your filthy bones out of my mouth!" - Ash
Old 12-07-00, 05:22 AM

Oh well, I've already ordered the JVC - the Pioneer was out of stock, and the $50 rebate was far buying a receiver AND a DVD player at the same time, so that decided it for me.

------------------
"Keep your filthy bones out of my mouth!" - Ash
Old 12-07-00, 04:10 PM

I ordered the JVC RX-8000VBK almost a week ago at Amazon using Jaboom-earned Amazon credits, so it was free to me. Check out http://www.audioreview.com to see what other folks think about their receivers. The people at DVDTalk say JVC sucks, but at audio review it is a different story. I guess I will just have to let my ears judge for themselves when the receiver finally ships (Amazon keeps bumping the shipping date up - I'll be lucky to get it by Christmas). I just signed-up for the $150 Amazon MCI deal and am having trouble deciding what to buy with it now. Maybe just get a Palm Pilot, get IR extender and software to make a truly universal remote control (tired of half dozen remotes for my setup).