DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

lens cleaning

Old 09-13-15, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
lens cleaning

I have three Sony 5 disc changers. My favorite toys for watching tv on dvd. I load themwith five different shows, hit the couch, watch 1 episode of five different shows back to back. Once a week I change out to the next disc in each set.
They're getting old, over ten years. Two are messing up bad.
One will intermittently not read anything. DVD or CD. Carousel just spins around NO DISC..NO DISC...NO DISC, etc. Leave it off for a few weeks it will go back to working for awhile then the problem reappears.
Another will start freezing/stuttering on all discs. CD or DVD. Dual layers are worse. Again, if I don't use it for awhile it goes back to working for a couple days then problem reappears.
The third, least used, still working fine.
Thinking of trying lens cleaning disc. Cheap and have nothing to lose. What's a good one?
I can get by with the one remaining player but it won't last forever. If the cleaning fails I may picked up a couple used/refurbished ones for future proofing since they are no longer sold.
Old 09-13-15, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: lens cleaning

What worked best for me is to open (unscrew) the player and clean the lens directly. Simply blowing air on the lens did the trick and got the player reading discs again. My other player was a bit more complicated to clean as it had some sort of plastic safety "thing" covering the lens, but it could be lifted. There was dust underneath it, around the lens area. I removed the dust with a moist q-tip and gave the lens a good "blow" and it played fine again after that.

Now this was for my Blu-ray players (I'm not good at repairing stuff myself, but this was very easy to do). I'm sure your DVD disc changer is not much more different to clean. If simply blowing air on the lens doesn't work I read cleaning the lens with a q-tip dipped in cleaning alcohol will do it. If that doesn't work then the problem might be more serious.

Last edited by hbilly; 09-14-15 at 02:44 AM.