Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I will never buy Pioneer again (rant)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

I will never buy Pioneer again (rant)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-00, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One year ago I bought a DV-525 player. For the most part, it has been an excellent machine and I got it for a great price...less than $200.

However, it showed problems with certain DVDs, especially certain Paramount titles. I finally decided before the 1-year warranty was up to take it to a service center and get one of the firmware updates that companies occasionally release for their players.

Instead, although it cost me nothing, I got a replaced transport, and a cleaning. This solved none of the problems I had with the DVDs--problems, I might add, that I replicated in another DV-525 WITH LATER FIRMWARE at the exact same point. These were not scratched or damaged discs.

I called Pioneer today and got a rude, incredulous guy on the phone who claimed that there were no known issues with Pioneer players and there were no firmware updates available. Even though I told him that I had replicated the problems, he still denied everything and hung up on me.

Perhaps it's too much to ask for DVD manufacturers and software makers to get standards going which prevent these types of trouble. Maybe there never will be such a thing as a DVD player that plays all discs perfectly. In any case, this is my first and last Pioneer DVD player. Even if they offered to exchange it at this point for a DV-333, I wouldn't take it.

Well, I suppose I should be happy it plays most discs fine. But if they won't stand behind their product, I won't give them any more of my money.
Old 11-06-00, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've had the Pioneer DVL-919 for a about a year now and have never had a single problem with it, even though it plays probably 5 movies a week (or more). The only complaint I have is with their remote. Ergonomics aside, I would easily recommend Pioneer products to anyone.

------------------
DVD-O-Rama.com
DVD Reviews..with an attitude

Now Showing:
See You Next Wednesday (in Feel Around)
Old 11-07-00, 06:56 AM
Banned

i second that dvd-o-rama, Pioneer are up there!
Old 11-07-00, 08:16 AM
Cool New Member

A writer of Sound & Vision said early in '99 (just shortly after S&V replaced both 'Stereo Review' and 'Video') that DVD players, seem to have 'unique' glitches, depending on manufacturer. Nearly all Pioneer players (at the time the article was written) have trouble playing 'stills' such as those on video/audio calibration discs. Other brand players have problems of their own and there is no one model that can play all discs, in all playback/audio modes, without problems. You can, if you like, look for the copy of the magazine in Used magazine stalls.

I have a Pioneer DV-515, and it has trouble playing 'stills' as I said above. Of course, a lot has already changed since last year.

I don't know if that is the problem you had with Paramount titles, but the message is, DVD players don't have a 'reliability' standard in some areas (and not all players can play DVD discs to their full capability, for example, zoom and multi-angle), and any brand/model you choose will probably have 'problems' sooner or later.
Old 11-07-00, 08:26 AM
Cool New Member

About my choice of Pioneer, I think that has a lot to do with LD. My LaserDisc player is Pioneer. Also, Pioneer's high end DVD players are 'reference' players (e.g. DV-09).

Of course, Pioneer is not among the original DVD designers but its experience in optical disc technology is right up there. After all, they launched LD two years before even the CD format debuted. (Looking back, maybe Pioneer should have waited a while, if they had seen the CD before they broke out LD, they might have thought about going smaller. Who knows, maybe Pioneer might have come out with what we now call DVD in 1987 or thereabouts...)

In the end it all boils down to: my Pioneer player gives me absolutely amazing pictures, as long as the recorded material is good and the disc is not dirty in the case of rental discs. I'm probably exaggerating a bit, but it's mostly true.
Old 11-07-00, 08:33 AM
steak

I have a DV414 and it has died 3 times within the past year. All with the same problem. I called Pioneer because it is now out of warranty and they said that because it is the same issue that they will fix it no problem. I have yet to have any troubles playing any discs. My issue seems to be just keeping the player running. I asked them how long they would continue to fix it out of warranty and they said that until it can't be fixed anymore, we will keep repairing it. Once it can't be fixed, we will replace it.

Here's hoping for a replacement!!!
Old 11-08-00, 10:47 PM

I have the pioneer 525 and every disk i have put in worked perfect *EXCEPT* Double Jeperdy but i got the fireware upgrade and now every disk players perfect. BTW: I have had it for about a year and a half now and played MANY movies in it.
Old 11-08-00, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I bought my DV-414 new Feb. 1999 at Circut City, and have not had any problems yet. I don't have the still problem that lakan mentioned, and have never experianced the lip sinking problems some others have noted either. I have also owned two Pioneer Laserdisc players, and haven't had a problem with them either.
Old 11-09-00, 12:39 PM

Jepthah, which movies in particular have you had problems with and how?

I have a 525, and Face/Off and Braveheart have played fine in it. I haven't checked out too many of my other Paramount titles, because I've play most of them on my old Toshiba 3107 before I got the Pioneer DV-525.
Old 11-09-00, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by El Pollo:
Jepthah, which movies in particular have you had problems with and how?

I have a 525, and Face/Off and Braveheart have played fine in it. I haven't checked out too many of my other Paramount titles, because I've play most of them on my old Toshiba 3107 before I got the Pioneer DV-525.
<HR>

Days Of Heaven--at one specific place about 7 minutes into the film a) In Dolby Surround 2.0 the sound cuts out and pic skips a second ahead, or b) in 5.1 a hard lock of pix/sound and loud digital noise blares out the speakers

Sleepy Hollow--I think about an hour into the film sound cuts out completely and the clock goes crazy

Similar problem with A Simple Plan.

Kwaidan--the subtitles cut out at a specific point

There are probably 1 or 2 more but I can't recall right now.

I would like to know if there is a firmware update from my version, 1.074. To check it, do from NO DISC, then use the Setup menus, go the GENERAL tab, select BASIC under MENU mode and press DISPLAY.

I'd really like to know what that guy above's firmware is that he got fixed.
Old 11-09-00, 10:20 PM
BEC

Weird.

My Pioneer 525 and DV-09 have played Days of Heaven with no problems (I own that one). Not sure what the version software is for the 525, 1.07X rings a bell. Production date July 1999, I think.

I don't remember any problems w/a Simple Plan either.

The DV-09 locked up on Fight Club, but Pioneer gave me an upgrade. I had an extended warranty.

Sorry for your bad luck Jepthah. I don't think your experience is typical of Pioneer.

Old 11-09-00, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by BEC:
Weird.

My Pioneer 525 and DV-09 have played Days of Heaven with no problems (I own that one). Not sure what the version software is for the 525, 1.07X rings a bell. Production date July 1999, I think.

I don't remember any problems w/a Simple Plan either.

The DV-09 locked up on Fight Club, but Pioneer gave me an upgrade. I had an extended warranty.

Sorry for your bad luck Jepthah. I don't think your experience is typical of Pioneer.

<HR>

That is really messed up. You see, just to test I took Days Of Heaven to a friend's place who also had a 525. His firmware was version 1.104, newer, and the SAME EXACT PROBLEM occurred in the SAME EXACT PLACE. This is what convinced me that it was not an isolated problem with my player. Also, I rented another copy of the DVD and tested that one--same problem.

Can you check your firmware version for me and maybe verify your mfr. date?

Old 11-09-00, 11:05 PM
BEC

I'll look into it.
Old 11-10-00, 08:51 AM
steak

I own a Pioneer DV414 and Sleepy Hollow and have never experienced this problem. I don't know which firmware I have but the MFR date of my box is 4/99.
Old 11-10-00, 05:28 PM
BEC

DV-525 Ver. 1.084(4) mnfr 9/99

Popped in Days of Heaven again - no drop outs up to 20 minutes into the film (about where Sam Shepard comes in).

Weird, no?

I'll keep an eye out for Sleepy Hollow.

I did have problems w/ID-4. That's the only thing I can remember out of 200+ discs: couldn't get past a chapter w/Randy Quaid driving a mobile home.

Old 11-10-00, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a Pioneer 414 and combi 919 as well as several LD players over the last decade. I've NEVER had a problem.
Old 11-10-00, 08:17 PM

sounds like Jepthah is more unahppy with the customer service he got then the product.

I Have a panasonic (which had similar problems) my phone call resulted in sending my player in (they paid shipping) getting a new pickup unit and a firm ware upgrade. All problems solved.

The end result, I recommend panasonic to my friends. If I had gotten a rude CS agent this would not be the case at all.. Much like Jepthah.

>Terry
Old 11-10-00, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by BEC:
DV-525 Ver. 1.084(4) mnfr 9/99

Popped in Days of Heaven again - no drop outs up to 20 minutes into the film (about where Sam Shepard comes in).

Weird, no?

I'll keep an eye out for Sleepy Hollow.

I did have problems w/ID-4. That's the only thing I can remember out of 200+ discs: couldn't get past a chapter w/Randy Quaid driving a mobile home.

<HR>

Thanks, BEC. Also, I have heard about but not experienced problems with The General's Daughter and Runaway Bride.

I'll give Pioneer one more try and then take it into another service center. After that, no more Pioneer for me.
Old 11-11-00, 04:50 AM
Cool New Member

WoW!! He hung up on you!! I'd have gotten in touch with someone else and reported his butt, but then again you probably don't know who the jerk was, too bad. I've never liked Pioneer and never will, they have always been on the low end of the totem pole in my book. I'd never buy Marantz or Kenwood again either, problems with both, they both Blose!!
Have a good one. Peace SteveF
Old 11-13-00, 11:10 AM

Sleepy Hollow was no problem for me. Just the typical slight pause during the layer change that I get with a lot of discs, but other than that, I've been fortunate.

I've heard about that Days of Heaven problem. I think that was in a thread a long time ago on DVDtalk. I'd think Pioneer would have fixed it by now, since back then, the 525 was their current model at that level.

Jepthah, if you don't have any further luck, then don't buy from Pioneer anymore. I think that would be a fine move on your part. Sometimes, people get a bad batch of players or customer support. It's unfortunate that this still happens, but your vocalizing and moving onto a different manufacturer is good way to make some difference.
Old 12-06-00, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If anyone was interested, here is my update on the situation.

Thanks to the kind assistance of bakiller and BEC here, I was able to discern that I required a firmware upgrade to version 1.134(4) from my 1.074(4) chip.

I took it into a different service center; these guys were much more professional and receptive to what I had to say. They took my specific instructions, and two weeks later called me back. They had indeed replaced the "IC Chip" has they called it, which Pioneer probably kept them waiting for as they had to order it; I took it home and read the screen--version 1.134(4) was now in my machine!

However, and here's the bummer--the Days of Heaven problem is STILL THERE! I am starting to think the blame now falls on Paramount instead of Pioneer. Is it possible that I got a bad 'pressing' of this DVD? I'll have to test it on other types of players and find out. If BEC claims that he had no problems up to 20 mins. into the film, and he has older firmware, then I guess my problem at about 7-8 minutes into the film is a disc defect...but I am skeptical of this seeing as how the same problem happened on 2 different copies. Maybe they made a bunch of bad discs and I should call Paramount. I'll have to check this out and follow up.

At least I am now insured against other problems and potential problems (in theory at least). Loading and layer-change times also seem to be slightly faster, although this could be my imagination. It's possible that this IC Chip is similar to the one in the newer DV-333 model.

So, perhaps the lesson is, the service center has much more to do with your satisfaction with a brand than their idiots in a calling center. Although I still was displeased that I got such a rude, unknowledgable person to speak with. In the end, it mostly worked out, and Pioneer is not out of the running totally for future purchases.
Old 12-06-00, 06:49 PM
BEC

Glad you got the latest upgrade. Sorry Days of Heaven still locks up on you.

Although I own a copy, I'll rent a copy (on one of those WTF-should-I-rent-now evenings) and look for something around the 7 minute mark again. I don't know if my wife has enough patience to sit through the ENTIRE movie again.

Anyway, good to hear your persistence was rewarded.
Old 12-06-00, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I have an Elite Changer DV-F07 and a Pioneer 414. Both are perfect.

------------------
Michael
Sega.Net bigdaddymh

Wow look at all those DVD's
And those are cool CD's
Do not click me.