DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Seiki TV & Sony Surround sound help needed (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/627820-seiki-tv-sony-surround-sound-help-needed.html)

DVDMagic 07-20-15 07:31 AM

Seiki TV & Sony Surround sound help needed

Hey Guys!!

Need some set up help here - preferably an "Idiots Guide" if you would, please?

I have a Seiki 32" (model# SE32HY10) and a Sony DAV-DX150 surround system.

I have all my speakers plugged into the correct connections on the sound system and I have the RCA (R,W & Y) cables plugged into the back of the receiver.

I don't use a cable box in the bedroom so I have the cable connected directly to the back of the TV.

What is the correct set up to enable me to use the surround sound system? Right now I have everything plugged into what I think is the right ports but I'm getting no surround sound at all. By that I mean the re & white audio plugged into the same on the back of the TV and the yellow into what I believe is the audio.

E Unit 07-20-15 10:51 AM

Re: Seiki TV & Sony Surround sound help needed

Originally Posted by DVDMagic (Post 12540971)
Hey Guys!!

Need some set up help here - preferably an "Idiots Guide" if you would, please?

I have a Seiki 32" (model# SE32HY10) and a Sony DAV-DX150 surround system.

I have all my speakers plugged into the correct connections on the sound system and I have the RCA (R,W & Y) cables plugged into the back of the receiver.

I don't use a cable box in the bedroom so I have the cable connected directly to the back of the TV.

What is the correct set up to enable me to use the surround sound system? Right now I have everything plugged into what I think is the right ports but I'm getting no surround sound at all. By that I mean the re & white audio plugged into the same on the back of the TV and the yellow into what I believe is the audio.

I'll assume you are trying to get stereo from your cable channels to pipe into your surrounds? You won't be able to do that unless you can get the digital signal from the cable. In this case, you do need a cable box to get the signal.

Dogg 07-20-15 11:20 AM

RCA (R,W & Y) - (red, white, and yellow)

Red and white are stereo audio. Thus you get stereo sound from your speaker system.

As noted above, you will need a surround source such as a cable box, assuming that HTiB Sony has a digital surround input. Otherwise, choose a different output mode on the Sony and at least get 4 channel stereo or fake surround.

DVDMagic 07-20-15 05:27 PM

ok, thanks for your help guys. I'll check it out

* went ahead and hooked up the cable box and now have everything wired thru and the surround sound system is working.

I also have a Roku 3 hooked up to that TV which is via HDMI only, so since the surround system does not have an HDMI output, am I out of luck using the Roku on the surround system?

E Unit 07-21-15 11:57 AM

You need to use an HDMI cable to get the picture and sound. And since it looks like your receiver doesn't even have an HDMI input, you won't be able to utilize your speakers, only the TV one. Your receiver is 10 years old, so it may be time for an upgrade. You can get a basic receiver for about a $100 that will have all the HDMI's you'll need.