Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

6.1 speaker setup?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-00, 07:57 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a question, i am getting a receiver that has 6.1, do I need to get two sets of front and center speakers? or can the back new speaker be a regular surrond speaker? Thanks for the info.

------------------
If you could just come in on Saturday....that would be great.
Old 12-03-00, 09:16 PM
Banned

For the surround back channel, it is always best to use the identical speaker as your left and right rear channels. If you can't get the same speaker, just get as close as you can. I have no idea what you mean by replacing the mains and center.

------------------
...post game show is brought to you by,......Christ I can't find it... To hell with it!
Old 12-03-00, 11:30 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the info, sorry to confuse you though, all I was saying was do you need center speaker for the back, meaning do you need a speaker that is the same as the front center. But from what you said, you should just use another rear surround speaker? So my set up should be a front right and left and a front center, along with 3 rear surround speakers, (left, right, and center)? I hope some of this makes sense. Thanks

------------------
If you could just come in on Saturday....that would be great.
Old 12-03-00, 11:41 PM

You do not need to buy a center channel speaker for the surround backs. Of course, it would work, but you should use 2 surround speakers for the surround back channels. If you are using dipoles for the surround speakers, it is my understanding that you should not use these for the 2 surround back speakers.

Remember, you are supposed to use two speakers for the surround back channel, not just one.
Old 12-04-00, 10:16 AM
Banned

Actually, most experts (myself included) agree that the best setup for EX/ES consists of 4 dipole surround speakers. I have run some extensive tests with all possible configurations, and this works best for movie sound. Te second best (in my opinion) is left and right rears that are dipole, and direct radiating for the surround back channel.

------------------
...post game show is brought to you by,......Christ I can't find it... To hell with it!
Old 12-04-00, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Green Jello:
Actually, most experts (myself included) agree that the best setup for EX/ES consists of 4 dipole surround speakers.
<HR>

Can you describe the ideal speaker placement in this scenario?

Old 12-04-00, 10:45 AM
Banned

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Cujo13:
Can you describe the ideal speaker placement in this scenario?

<HR>

I wish I had a picture to send you or something. The four rear speakers should create a trapeziod shape around the listening position. The left and right rears should be directly to the sides of the listening position, with you in the "null" area of the speaker. The surround back channels should follow the sames basic rules behind you as the front mains do. They should be a fair distance appart, yet away from the side walls.

------------------