DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Making An Old Car Stereo Modern

Old 01-25-15, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Making An Old Car Stereo Modern

My car is a 2005 Honda Accord. So its radio is state-of-the-art... for the year 2005, which means it has an in-dash 6-disc CD changer. And that's it. No 3.5mm jack. No Bluetooth. Nothing like that. But it does have a proprietary auxiliary port in it that was intended for adding an additional CD changer to the truck (state-of-the-art 2005, I tell ya!).

But a few years ago, I stumbled across something about an adapter for the proprietary port that gives it 2 RCA jacks. So in 2011, I installed that adapter which I then could convert with a cable to a 3.5mm jack. This worked well for a few years but then the RCA-to-3.5mm cable I used started going bad and I decided to upgrade the cable and the entire setup for it, which I just finished.

The old cable that went bad and the new higher quality cable to replace it:
Spoiler:

I then took apart my console and drilled a hole in the back of the center storage pocket for running the new cable through.

Installation photos:
Spoiler:

console taken apart:

auxilary port adapter:

center storage pocket (removed):

rubber grommet:

the hole I drilled, with rubber grommet inserted:

the hole from the back of the pocket, with sealant to hold the grommet that I added only on this side:

Post-installation photos:
Spoiler:

center storage pocket closed:

the new cable running through the hole:

a Bluetooth cigarette lighter adapter I bought:

Now that I'm done, here it is in action bringing an old stereo into this decade:

Last edited by dhmac; 01-25-15 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-25-15, 07:59 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Re: Making An Old Car Stereo Modern

I have a similar original stereo set-up and regrets in my 2005 Mazda. I'm much too lazy to do what you appear to have done (tl,dw); but bravo.
Old 01-25-15, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If not for online pictures and YouTube videos of how to do this, I doubt I would've done this either.

Particularly, getting the center storage pocket out of there was a major pain (it was stuck for over a day as I gave up trying to get it out) and only going back and carefully watching a video that someone else uploaded to YouTube did I see how to get it out (I had to pull down from the top and then it was surprisingly easy).

I'm just happy I didn't screw it up (like on one YouTube video in which a guy broke a plastic piece) and it all worked out great in the end.
Old 01-26-15, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I turned my 2005 Infiniti G35 into a Bluetooth enabled system that lets me play music from any app on my phone and place and take calls using the GoGroove Flexsmart and a cassette adaptor. Works great. Super simple to install.

Old 01-26-15, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why not just use the Flexsmart's fm output?

I used to have one of these for a few years, worked great. When I needed to replace the receiver I upgraded to one with Bluetooth built in.