Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Please help with Sony DVD repair problem

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Please help with Sony DVD repair problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-00, 12:57 PM
jtm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

My wife and I have a Sony S330 I received last Christmas as a gift. It has worked fine except for occasional lip sync problems. I figure it's time I send it in for repairs, but Sony wants me to have the receipt.

First, it seems this is a known problem, so shouldn't they fix it, regardless of when it was bought?

Second, besides the lip sync problem, is there any other reason to upgrade the firmware or whatever they'd do if I send it in?

Thanks
Tai
Old 11-29-00, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have the 330 in the Kid's room for their little collection...I have watched many movies with them....No problems like this on my player!! I read awhile back that the first generation Sony players had this problem but I thought it was fixed.

When I took my Pioneer LD/DVD player for an upgrade, they also wanted to see the receipt due to the one year limited warranty. It was within the first year so the upgrade was free...this is why they want to see verification of the purchase date. Most places will not fix anything for free if it is outside of the warranty period.

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 11-29-00, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You obviously have the first generation SONY DVD player. I had the same problem with my 530D player. I brought it to an autherized SONY repair center. I they were able to check the data that it was manufactured by the bottom of the unit. My unit was 2 months out of warrenty but I put up a stink and they said they would take care of the problem. If they won't fix for free then you might have to pay to get it fixed.

There is probaly no other reason to send it in besides the lip sync problem. I can tell you that after I brought mine in, I had to bring it in again because the player was not recognizing disc's

Mike

Hope that helps
Old 11-29-00, 01:52 PM
jtm

I called the Sony 800 number and was told to write a letter to Sony if I want to get it repaired after the end of warranty. Oh well. I'll write the letter pleading my case, but I probably should resign to live with the problem, which doesn't happen too often, thankfully.

Tai
Old 11-29-00, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by ANDREMIKE:
You obviously have the first generation SONY DVD player. I had the same problem with my 530D player. I brought it to an autherized SONY repair center. I they were able to check the data that it was manufactured by the bottom of the unit. My unit was 2 months out of warrenty but I put up a stink and they said they would take care of the problem. If they won't fix for free then you might have to pay to get it fixed.

There is probaly no other reason to send it in besides the lip sync problem. I can tell you that after I brought mine in, I had to bring it in again because the player was not recognizing disc's

Mike

Hope that helps
<HR>

The model he has is not first generation...it is at least 2nd or 3rd generation!!! This model was just introduced in 1999...I purchased the same player for the kids!!!

------------------

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 11-29-00, 04:42 PM

jtm -

Sorry to hear about the lyp sinc problem. I had thought that was only on the 530D (it was released prior to the 330). My 530D had that problem and I sent it to a Sony Service Center and they upgraded the firmware on it. Fortunately it was under warranty. That was almost a year ago now and I've had no problems whatsoever with it. Mine was only in the shop about 10 days. There is a method (of pushing certain buttons on the remote before turning on the player) that lets you see the "Sony" diagnostic menu and lets you know what version of firmware your player is running. I have it written down somewhere and will try and find it. If you're interested, I'll post how to do it. Good luck. It's an annoying problem - ruined my first screening of Saving Private Ryan!
Old 11-29-00, 04:58 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by djones6746:
The model he has is not first generation...it is at least 2nd or 3rd generation!!! This model was just introduced in 1999...I purchased the same player for the kids!!!

<HR>

I would disagree with your statement. The 330's and the 530's were both plagued with the same problems. Furthermore I bought my DVD player in May of 99. It too was plagued by the lip sync problem. It's quite possible that the store where he bought it still had some of the DVD players with the lip sync problem.
Old 11-29-00, 06:52 PM

Yep, my 560 is plagued as well...I have just been too lazy to send it in. Purchased May '99.

I think I am just going to live with it and retire it to the bedroom in a couple of months...

It's already been 18 months anyway...
Old 11-29-00, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have the 530D, and couldn't figure out the lip-sync problem. So I called the service center about it and they reluctantly acknowledged it was a known problem and that I could send it in for an firmware upgrade. Got it back in about a week with no problem.
Old 11-29-00, 08:54 PM

I would disagree with your statement. The 330's and the 530's were both plagued with the same problems. Furthermore I bought my DVD player in May of 99. It too was plagued by the lip sync problem. It's quite possible that the store where he bought it still had some of the DVD players with the lip sync problem. <HR>

It is not, I repeat not a first generation player. I have a DVP-S300 which I bought in October 1998 just before it got discontinued and replaced by the S-330. My S300 is either first or second generation and unlike later generation models like the S330, S360, S530, S560 etc., it can play CD-R's. The S330 is definitely 2nd or 3rd generation as it was the replacement for the model I have and part of the new series that was introduced right after my model was discontinued.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 11-29-00, 09:42 PM
jtm

For those who got their 330 or 530 repaired, was the lip sync problem the only problem fixed? Was the picture quality or anything else improved after the machine was repaired?

I don't see that lip sync problem too often and I'm trying to rationalize to myself that it's not worth worrying about since it seems I may not be able to get it repaired under warranty.

Tai
Old 11-29-00, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would disagree with your statement. The 330's and the 530's were both plagued with the same problems. Furthermore I bought my DVD player in May of 99. It too was plagued by the lip sync problem. It's quite possible that the store where he bought it still had some of the DVD players with the lip sync problem. <HR>

My information is correct...check your facts on the line of Sony players released since 1997!!!

Thanks Cloud!!!!

------------------

Barney Fife